Author Topic: Hardshell  (Read 4181 times)

watershed

Re: Hardshell
« Reply #15 on: 16:50:08, 14/12/19 »
 Hi, BA
the Montane Pac Plus Gore-Tex Jacket might fit the bill, it seems to get a good write up at a price near your budget. I see they are selling at about £150-£180 so shop around. £158.99 at Ultralight gear which gives free postage and are very reliable to deal with, I have used them to buy quite a few things.
I haven't got one of these jackets but the spec's look good at the price.
 I use a Rab Latok Alpine jacket for through hikes, it is dearer but reviews suggest it is particulary good for ventilation and high activity, I do like it, and have used it on two long hikes.
For day hikes with possible showers I use a RAB super Kinetic, which is incredible light and stretchy, but gets damp in heavy prolonged rain, especially at Ruck Sack contact areas. I have used this on one 200 mile hike but although I love the jacket found it wanting in a heavy torrential shower between Fort Augustus and Newtonmore.

Flanners

Re: Hardshell
« Reply #16 on: 20:58:04, 14/12/19 »
I use a Rab Bergen eVent shell jacket for Autumn/Winter days out when it's going to be stormy, snow/sleet/rain etc, Rab Downpour Plus as a 3 Season shell in changeable conditions and a Marmot Precip for the backpack in Spring/Summer hiking. Rab Alpine/Nimbus/Cirrus etc for cold clear Winter walks and hikes.

Never have found the perfect waterproof, given I walk hot I find significant moisture on the inside, main concern is not really waterproofing as I have yet to find a true 'breatheable' shell garment (GoreTex being my worst experiences) but windproof to keep me from the windchill/cold.
« Last Edit: 21:01:36, 14/12/19 by Flanners »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy