Author Topic: Dutch user  (Read 3106 times)

marcel13

Dutch user
« on: 15:49:51, 29/05/19 »
hello,
 Although my wife and I are from Holland, we do like the UK a lot.
I have travelled al lot in the UK since 2000, professionally.
Next to that we have spend holidays in the UK.
2 year ago, South Down, near Lewis
Last year, Exmoor, near Dulverton.
This year, Yorkshire, near Richmond.
We do hope to get some good ideas and tips and share some as well if possible!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Dutch user
« Reply #1 on: 16:17:35, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from Devon Marcel.  I hope the good people of this forum can give you some good tips for your upcoming trip to Richmond and the "must dos".  The centre of Richmond is full of character and the River Swale makes a great backdrop to the castle.  You will be well placed for Swaledale and Wensleydale as well as Ribblehead and Malham - all great walking areas.  If you are looking for some new walking boots - the Altberg factory, located in an industrial estate just to the north of the town centre, has a factory shop.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:52:32, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from Lincolnshire
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:15:04, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:29:27, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast     :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:24:59, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from the Orkney Islands.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

marcel13

« Reply #7 on: 20:32:09, 29/05/19 »
Daar Ninthace,

Many thanks!
I did use the search key already and used the area,s you proposed.
Have found some usefull topics.
Tomorrow we do have a holiday in Holland, so plenty of time to search the forum further O0

astaman

« Reply #8 on: 22:21:05, 29/05/19 »
Welcome from Shetland.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:40:17, 30/05/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I like the Dutch, whenever I want to talk to someone from Europe the Dutch always seem to speak English, in my experience when I hitchhike they are the most likely to stop and pick me up, when on a campsite the Dutch in my experience anyway is the most hospitable, always willing to talk and are one of the first to say to me "would you like a glass of wine or beer?"

I was amused when I first did the Tour du Mont Blanc, there is a campsite at Fouly. I camped there for the night, most caravans on the site were from the Netherlands, dozens of them! An alsatian dog gave me a real fright just after dawn. I was half awake and I opened my tent to look at the sky and a dog was there and put its face almost onto my face, our noses were about 1" apart. I made a high pitched sound (I panicked!) and luckily it panicked too and ran off. I saw it later scavenging for food and whilst I was watching, its Dutch owner came and put it on a lead. Just one of those moments that we don't forget!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:58:45, 30/05/19 »
I was once stationed just across the border from Holland - the border was at the end of our runway.  I used to go to one of the schools in Roermond to talk about the RAF, why we were there and so on.  I can remember going into part of the school where they did their homework and all the kids from about 12 up could explain what they were doing in perfect English.  We used to buy our children's Christmas presents in Roermond after 6th December when St Nicholas and Black Peter had been and the sales were on.  I understand it is different now.
My theory is despite them having built several extensions to their country, there is not enough room in Holland for all of them to live there so they take it in turns.  That is why you always find Dutch caravans on the road and if you go on a campsite in Europe and there is only one tent there - they will be Dutch.
Marcel - don't forget the Hagelslag.  No self respecting Dutchman would go abroad without some chocolate sprinkles.
Solvitur Ambulando

astaman

« Reply #11 on: 08:43:16, 31/05/19 »
I had almost forgotten but I did have an early camping adventure in the Netherlands when I was young. My friend Gary and I hitchhiked to Amsterdam to visit a pal who was living a dodgy hippy life there. After a few days the seediness of that life got to us and we hitched and walked north to Leeuwarden. We walked out in to the endlessly flat countryside and set up our tarp in a small woods between two little villages. I think they were called Oenkerk and Tetjerk but my memory may be faulty. In spite of our scruffy appearance and makeshift shelter locals treated us with the tolerance and kindness that I have always experienced in that part of the world. Our tarp was a plastic sheet, a length of parachute cord and an old groundsheet from a Force 10 tent that would have been too heavy to carry. The lightweight camping movement and tarp culture didn't exist then in the way it does now. Then I think the impetus came from fantasies woven around Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory and W H Davies's Autobiography of a Supertramp. This was around 1970.

marcel13

« Reply #12 on: 08:48:34, 01/06/19 »
Many thanks for the information so far.Yesterday I had plenty of time to search the forum.I have found some usefull information and links which I will look in to. (like happyhiker, lonewalker, where2walk, walkingenglishmen, and so on)More than enough information to have some nice walks during our holiday the end of this month.

marcel13

« Reply #13 on: 19:34:52, 05/07/19 »
We are now a week in Yorkshire, and have done some walks, all about 10 Miles:
Bowlees, along low and high force
Keld, to Tan Hill (had lunch in the pub)
Reeth, climb up the fremington edge, and back via the Hill ( Carver?)
Marske, round tour via Munn End, via Marrick back again.

We do have great weather, and do enjoy the country side!
Stil a week to go O0
« Last Edit: 20:21:18, 05/07/19 by marcel13 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:18:23, 05/07/19 »
Glad that you are enjoying the Yorkshire Dales, Marcel13.

Swaledale (Keld, Reeth) is my favourite. :) 

If you are staying in Richmond, then the Northern Lake District is maybe only 90 minutes drive away. Ullswater is accessible and lovely.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy