Author Topic: New Vango tent models: Mirage Pro, Hydra, Helvellyn... what's the difference?  (Read 3745 times)

fedcas

Hi,
I'm looking for a 3 season 2 person tent, external poles, compact and low and quite sturdy (want to occasionally use it as a 4 season tent too) but not too heavy (max 3 kg). I'm particularly oriented towards semi-geodesic structures, which I expect to have a better wind resistance. I already have a 1.3 Kg Camp Minima 2 SL as a light option.

Unfortunately my budget is also limited, so I think Vango tent are a good compromise between cost and quality. In particular, I have tried the Mirage 200 (2016 version)www. hikersblog.co.uk/vango-mirage-200-tent-review/
Which I really liked... except it's not produced anymore :sThe thing is, they now sell SEVERAL updated models of it... things are getting very confusing, so I thought to ask directly in a uk where someone may be more informed about this scottish company hopefully :)

Here is what I understood:

They now have a Mirage Pro 200, which ironically is the one that is more different from the previous Mirage 200.
www. vango.co.uk/gb/tents/2028-mirage-pro-200.html
Here is a video:
www. youtube.com/watch?v=YfFxLmAOH2c

In addiction, they have other TWO different models, that look extremely similar to the old Mirage 200:
www. vango.co.uk/gb/tents/2022-helvellyn-200.html
www. vango.co.uk/gb/tents/1178-hydra-200.html

Finally, they have the Makalu 2, which looks like the F10 "premium" version of the new Mirage Pro 200:
www. vango.co.uk/gb/tents/2045-f10-makalu-2.html

My impressions seems to be confirmed by the drawings:
Old Mirage 200 20126 (2.9 Kg):

Helvellyn 200 (2.8 Kg):

Hydra200 (3.0 Kg):

Mirage Pro 200 (3.02 Kg):

Makalu 2 (2.6 Kg):

Let's skip the fact that I struggle to understand their commercial strategy... which one should I go for? :s :s :s any idea what are the differences between these models? especially Hydra VS Helvellyn VS Mirage 2016 seems basically the same tent to me.
Also, any feedback or advice about this tents will be appreciated ;)
Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Isn't it irritating how mainstream tent manufacturers chop and change their ranges so frequently; Colemans are very guilty of this too.

I can offer no informed advice as to which one you should go for, sadly, but I do have a tent that is similar to the Mirage Pro and Makalu, in that it is a semi geodesic 3 pole design that has a fairly level roof profile (unlike the first 2 in your post which are lower at the rear). This is a Wild Country Trisar, purchased in 1991, and still in good condition (pitches inner first though). It stands the weather well and I would consider it borderline 4 season.

I think that you need to ask yourself:

Do you need the extra headroom towards the rear that the Makalu/Mirage Pro offers?

Is it worth paying the extra for the 0.4kg weight saving that the Makalu offers?

Have you considered other tent manufacturers? There's a lot of them out there!

PS - Mirage Pro £124.95 at Millets right now.
« Last Edit: 07:13:43, 27/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

The biggest differences (that I can see - no actual experience of these models) is dimensionally.

How important is space for you ?

The old Mirage (internal tent sleeping space) is 120 wide x 225 Long
The Hydra is 120W x 225L
The Helvellyn is 105W x 220L
The Mirage Pro is 95W x 225L
The Maku is 95W x 225L

So the Pro and the Maku are 12" narrower than the Old Mirage
The Helvellyn 8" narrower

The Hydra is the same width as the Old Mirage

If it is of any interest the 2-man Wolfwise tent (equivalent to the MSR Hubba Hubba NX) is even wider and weighs in at under 2kgs "all-up" and I picked up mine for £75 on Amazon.

Wolfwise 2-man 100 high x 135 Wide x 210 Long

Comparisons with the 'Brand' MSR Hubba Hubba

MSR                            Wolfwise
Tent Sleeping area ‘footprint’            1270mm x 2130mm                1350mm x 2100mm
‘Porch’ size (2-off)                             760mm                                    700mm
Height                                                1000mm                                  1000mm
Fly Sheet                                             20D 1200mm HH                   20D 2000mm HH
Floor / Groundsheet                           30D 3000mm HH                   40D 4000mm HH
Weight                                               1.77kg                                     1.80kg
Pack size                                            460mm x 150mm                    470mm x 190mm

Price                                                    £379*                                      £75**

*Go Outdoors price with membership card.
** Amazon UK delivered price.

« Last Edit: 08:19:57, 27/06/18 by alan de enfield »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Would you say that the Wolfwise is suitable for occasional 4 season use, Alan? I'm thinking of the amount of mesh on the inner that the MSR Hubba types have, and the gap under the fly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WolfWise-2-Person-Backpacking-Camping-Tent-Ultralight-Professional-Family-Tent-/162644107072

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Would you say that the Wolfwise is suitable for occasional 4 season use, Alan? I'm thinking of the amount of mesh on the inner that the MSR Hubba types have, and the gap under the fly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WolfWise-2-Person-Backpacking-Camping-Tent-Ultralight-Professional-Family-Tent-/162644107072

Occasional 4-seasons YES, but driving / drifting snow (5-seasons) definitely not.
The mesh on the wolfwise is less than on the MSR and there is a decent height 'solid' tub to keep you out of the drafts.
The fly-sheet certainly does have an 'air-gap' but its either a case of having a full 4 seasons tent for the odd time, or having an 'extra layer of clothes' to wear in bed.

No - its not an ideal 4-season tent, but is a good 3-season tent.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Thanks Alan

Height of the 'solid-tub'.
Black is the groundsheet rolling up the side, then the white is 'solid' until you get to the mesh (about 1/2 way up.

fedcas

Thank you both ;)

I think that you need to ask yourself:

> Do you need the extra headroom towards the rear that the Makalu/Mirage Pro offers?
I don't think so... I like tents to be low to have a better wind resistance and to save weight. Even though on a 4 season tent

> Is it worth paying the extra for the 0.4kg weight saving that the Makalu offers?Good point... actually I included the Makalu mainlyfor the sake of completeness, as it's out of my budget (and in that price range I'd probably prefere other models... I don't like a nylon flysheet of just 20D in a this kind of tents, for example)
> Have you considered other tent manufacturers? There's a lot of them out there!Yes I did, I was thinking to get one of these models because they seems to be a great... "bang for the pound" :p especially because they are often discounted on blacks/millets.How is Vango considered in the UK by the way? Does it have a good reputation?

> PS - Mirage Pro £124.95 at Millets right now.
Thanks, but that's actually one of the reasons why I decided to ask for information :) I noticed their newsletter (actually I receive Blacks newsletter, but i think it's basically the same shop) so I had a look if there was any deal for any of the models I was intererested in(in addiction to the 10-15-20% discount coude which is there nearly all the time... weird marketing strategies again :p)

fedcas

The biggest differences (that I can see - no actual experience of these models) is dimensionally.

How important is space for you ?

The old Mirage (internal tent sleeping space) is 120 wide x 225 Long
The Hydra is 120W x 225L
The Helvellyn is 105W x 220L
The Mirage Pro is 95W x 225L
The Maku is 95W x 225L

So the Pro and the Maku are 12" narrower than the Old Mirage
The Helvellyn 8" narrower

The Hydra is the same width as the Old Mirage

Uhm, that is true, but you read the width at the feet, which is probably not so important... here is how I have summerized things considering the inner width at the widest point:
Old mirage, Hydra, Helvellyn: 120 x 225 cm (except the Helvellyn which is 220 cm)Mirage Pro and Makalu: 130 x 225 cm

By the way, I have noticed a few minor differences between the Hydra and the Halvellyn (in addiction to the small differences in length and weight):

Hydra:
- Vango Protex® 70D 5,000mm HH Polyester Flysheet
Halvellyn:- Vango Protex® 70 denier polyester flysheet, 3000mm HH [maybe a cheaper PU coating? or maybe they are just the same... I tend not to give HH values too much importance]
- seems like the detachable groundsheet for the porch is not included (probably the 200g difference in the weight is due to that)
So basically due to the second reason, and maybe also the first one, the price of the Helvellyn is lower... it seems a "low cost" version of the Hydra. I think I'll write an email to Vango asking which are the differences between these two models.

If it is of any interest the 2-man Wolfwise tent (equivalent to the MSR Hubba Hubba NX) is even wider and weighs in at under 2kgs "all-up" and I picked up mine for £75 on Amazon.
Interesting model that I didn't know, but not what I'm looking for, thanks anyway ;) these chinese brand tents (I assume that is another one for that price) are getting more and more interesting... Naturehike tent is another one (vaude taurus/hogan style poles)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I've got my eye on the Naturehike 'Cloud' tents. Maybe next year.

Not 4 season though, despite their claims (far too much mesh on the inner, in my opinion).

fedcas

I asked Vango in the end... not that much info received, they confirmed it's mostly marketing stuff though:

I would like to know what's the difference between the current models of Hydra 200 and Helvellyn 200, because they look similar if not identical. I can only see the Helvellyn doesn't come with the porch groundsheet.
What about the flysheet fabric? I can't understand if they are the same or not:
HYDRA: Protex® 70D 5,000mm HH Polyester Flysheet - highly waterproof and durable fabric exclusive to Vango
HELVELLYN: Vango Protex® 70 denier polyester flysheet, 3000mm HH - Highly waterproof, durable and reliable fabric. Exclusive to Vango

Maybe they are the same fabric but with a different treatment that gives the different HH? Or maybe they are the same and it's just a typo?

I can see a 200g weight difference... is it due to the absence of the porch footprint in the Helvellyn compared to the Hydra or the former is actually lighter?
Are there any other difference between these two models?
Finally, should I go for the Hydra 200, is it just a rebranded Mirage 200 (2016 model) or I should expect some differences?

No massive differences in style between the two models asides from they are sold exclusively by two different retailers and the varying HH for the Helvellyn.

any suggestions? Anyway, I think I'll decide between the Hydra and the Helvellyn... The F10 is just too expensive and I don't think I need the extra space of the Mirage Pro.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy