Author Topic: Hosting a cure chiari walk here in kansas.....  (Read 1180 times)

chiarian 77

Hosting a cure chiari walk here in kansas.....
« on: 23:13:52, 27/10/07 »
 O0  I am a chiari patient myself so you could see why I am orgainizing this walk.   I am looking for those that might be interested in getting involved.  March 22, 2008 is the date of the walk here in Wichita Kansas.  I have also sent a proclamation draft to the Kansas governor for March to be named chiari awareness  month.  Its very exciting. 

Chiari is a rare and painful neurological disease that has no cure. 
If you want to know more about chiari....ask me anything...I will be more than happy to explain in more detail.

:)
"Everything happens for a reason"

girly

Re: Hosting a cure chiari walk here in kansas.....
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:08, 28/10/07 »
hi, could you post some more info about chiari? Like how many people are affected, what does it mean to have this illness? I'd be interested to know more  :)
I wish i could take part in your walk but not sure i could make it all the way to kansas! I really hope it goes well though, keep us posted  O0 and let me know if there's anything i could do to help with fundraising xx

chiarian 77

« Reply #2 on: 15:41:58, 28/10/07 »
Chiari affects 1 in 1,000 people.  You are born with the disease, although most patients dont discover they have it until its too late or they are in their 30's.  I was diagnosed at 28 and had symptoms since I was 9.  Only a MRI scan can positively identify chiari.  Only 200,000 have been diagnosed here in the states.  Like I mentioned before there is no cure.  Most physicians dont even know what chiari is let alone the symptoms.  My passion right now is to put it on the fore front so I can advise the general public and medical community what chiari is and raise money for a cure. 

Chiari malformations are located at the base of the skull.  part of the brain, the cerebellum, descends out of the skull and into the spinal area. This results in the brain and spinal cord being compressed.  and it interupts the CSF flow.  If untreated it can be fatal.

I have included the picture below that gives a visual of the difference between a person with and without chiari looks like.

Hope you understand a lil better, if not let me know.  K.  :)
"Everything happens for a reason"

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:45:31, 28/10/07 »
Welcome to the site

If their is any thing we can do to help, please lets us know and i am sure we will do are best.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:42:25, 31/10/07 »
 hi AND welcome chiarian 77 to our walking forum, I too would like you to know that its impossible for me to get to where you are and participate in the charity event but if there is anything i can do, i will do if possible, I'll have a think about what i could do as march 22nd 2008 is almost 5 months of,Anyway I'll get back to you OK.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

locuschoi

« Reply #5 on: 16:41:20, 01/11/07 »
nice to meet you here..

I'm from a Korea and a universiry student..

though I cannot go there but tell me anything I can do..

I hope get well..
hi~ though I'm in Korea.. but I like walking so much
and want to be your friend

tracey777

« Reply #6 on: 21:00:42, 15/11/07 »
I wish you all the best with the walk I'm sureit will be a lot preop work but if you can make people more aware then it will all be worth it.
join me for walking/riding adventures in beautiful Northern Hungary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy