Author Topic: Any hiking plans for 2020?  (Read 4498 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Any hiking plans for 2020?
« on: 15:06:10, 24/11/19 »
2019 for me was my least busy year in the last 10 years. My wife and I took on responsibility for looking after her elderly mother so it kinda used the summer up. I did manage to walk across Gran Canaria in February, hiked from Keswick to Edinburgh in April and finish my year by walking the Two Moors Way in August, so I do feel satisfied with my effort. I wanted to do more but it just didn't work out.

2020 is now on the horizon, my mother in law is now in a residential home and we are now confident that its a good one, the staff are excellent and she and the rest of the family are very pleased with it. I'm looking forward to December 21st and then looking forward to January 2nd and I'll be miserable in between those dates! I'm not going to make too many advanced plans this winter as I'm still not sure if Brexit will complicate my life but I hope to fit something in before January 31st by getting a reasonably priced flight to Tenerife and then hiking the GR131 route.

The only other idea that I'm keeping on my list of possibles is to hike in the volcano region in France from Clermont Ferrand. NinthAce suggested it last year (thanks again) and its been stuck in my mind ever since.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Any hiking plans for 2020?
« Reply #1 on: 16:16:25, 24/11/19 »
I've had quite a good 2019 so far - Coast to Coast, lots of Lakes and Snowdonia walks, and a long weekend in Chamonix.  Highlight was meeting you, GWM on the forum meet, of course. O0

2020 plans yet to be made, other than a week in Samoens with a few old friends in June - day walks, with maybe an overnighter to one of the local refuges.

I also hope to do one of the shorter trails - maybe the Cleveland Way, at some point.  And, as Mrs pdstsp's PhD gathers pace, we will be visiting lots of Bronze age sites in Northumberland, an area I have never walked in. 

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:54:45, 24/11/19 »
May see you on the Cleveland Way pdstsp. We narrowed it down to the Two Moors Way and Cleveland Way for this year and we did the Two Moors Way, so logically.....
Though we are saving up to go to New Zealand so no overspending for us for a couple of years!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:24:50, 24/11/19 »
A few vague ideas but nothing definite, a cycle tour of the Hebrides another Scandinavian walk or one or two other options. It mostly depends on money and time as usual.   

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:18:24, 24/11/19 »
I'm not sure I'll manage it in 2020 but I've been inspired to do some of one of the American ldws.....

Soo, maybe the ctc should be my plan for 2020 but.... who knows  ::)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:51:05, 24/11/19 »
I had hoped to attempt the a Welsh 3000s in 3030, after getting fit this year. Injury has ruled that out. Hopefully, I will get some hiking in this year as a start to getting hill fit again. The only walking I did this year was relatively short, while on Safari in a South Africa for my silver wedding anniversary.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:38:42, 24/11/19 »
I had hoped to attempt the a Welsh 3000s in 3030, after getting fit this year. Injury has ruled that out. Hopefully, I will get some hiking in this year as a start to getting hill fit again. The only walking I did this year was relatively short, while on Safari in a South Africa for my silver wedding anniversary.

Mike, you  could do the South West 2000s for 2020 instead.  Not to tricky those.  ;)

I had so much planned for the later half of 2019, still several walks on the list before new year most notably Ruapehu next week.  Not given 2020 too much thought.  I have a walk to lead in January on Dartmoor, in search of Snow.    After that if I am able to maintain my fitness then I would love to attempt the Scottish 4000s over a few days and possibly the Dartmoor Highground 50 mile race following on from the marathon last year. Very much fitness dependent though. I'm not getting any younger.  ;D

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:38:57, 25/11/19 »
I don't think he needs to worry too much, he's got 1010 years to prepare  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:51:36, 25/11/19 »
C2C in March for me  O0
Where there's a will ...

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:41:29, 25/11/19 »
I just need to start walking  again, it’s been almost two tears since I lost all motivation and coupled with staring smoking again I am so unfit. So the plan is give up the fags and get back out there.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:28:29, 25/11/19 »
You do need to start walking again, life is precious, give up the fags and get out there!  O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:29:14, 25/11/19 »
Will aim to do Herriot Way at some point..52 miles..will aim to do in four walking days. Definitely using B and B’s and bag courier service! (Or maybe use one of the B and B’s in  the area that ferry you to start of days walking and collect from end each day...think there are a couple of places in area that do that.)

Apart from that will certainly do a day walk most Thursdays, and go to Shropshire two or three times for mini 3 day walking holidays.

snoopdawg

« Reply #12 on: 13:18:36, 25/11/19 »
2019 was good for me with the GGW in March,CWT in April and TGO in May then several lengthy Cairngorm trips in Sept/Oct. Planning a Northumbria and Scottish border bothy backpacking trip in March and the SNT over 27 days In April. No other plans for the rest of the year just yet

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:19:51, 25/11/19 »
WOW, Bigfoot Mike is drinking the Elixir of Life me thinks   :D    

For me, 2020 will be my Year Of Mountains.  Whernside (as the last one of my Y3P to do), Helvellyn (because I like the name), and Snowdon (because I've found some cheap saddo singleton for one accommodation) should get me off the starting blocks.

Plus I want to finish off Bagging the County of Durham and making a start on a new County  :)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:31:50, 25/11/19 »
I have scheduled and booked 3 separate weeks in the Lake District, a week in the North Yorkshire dales. About to book a week in the Peak District for October snd am waiting for reports of snow in the Lake District for an ad hoc excursion.
It's all uphill from here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy