Author Topic: defense against dangerous wildlife  (Read 2021 times)

talanath

defense against dangerous wildlife
« on: 09:52:06, 13/08/07 »
I am going on a hiking trip in September.  The only problem is, there are brown bear about.  It's the Pyrenees I'm heading too, and although the bear numbers are not large, I rather not be taking any chances.   I was just wondering if any of you knew what my chances are of being able to take bear spray through customs (bear spray is essentially mace)...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: defense against dangerous wildlife
« Reply #1 on: 15:48:18, 15/08/07 »
 Considering the bear population in the Pyernees is very small (around 20-30 bears) its unlikely you will be attacked.Most of the bears are Slovenian and not  aggressive,whilst he brown bear population is almost extinct.

Mace is illegal in the UK so its unlikely you will be able to take it through  customs.If it really concerns you take a tin of WD40 and a cigarette lighter.The 15 ft sheet of flame it gives off when ignited is far more effective than  mace.

graybags

« Reply #2 on: 18:31:27, 19/08/07 »
Hi, I don't know what part of the Pyrenees you're going to but I've been to various parts about seven times and I really, really would be very, very privileged to catch even a fleeting glimpse of a bear. I looked at the sightings records in the Park centre in Cauterets and it had entries like "footprint found 1999" "glimpse of bear in forest 2002" and these were from park staff who are there all year round. What bears there are have a really hard time as they're persecuted by the farmers and one was recently run over on the road near Argeles-Gazost (not far from Lourdes).
What you will see (amongst other things) are Marmots, Izard (Chamois) and plenty of birds of prey.
Forget the dangerous wildlife and relax and enjoy your trip,
G

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 09:01:04, 20/08/07 »
Like my other colleagues who have been to the Pyrenees, I've been twice and seen an Izard, a Marmot and plenty of birds but not a hair of a bear.    Being circled by a vulture when about to take a particularly steep scrambling descent was about the most unnerving thing that happened to me.

These trips did incidentally include wild camping, which in many parts is not allowed below a certain height (can't remember exactly but I think it's 2000 metres), which indicates that I'm including the more remote areas of the Pyrenees, so as Graybags says, relax and enjoy the trip.

S.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 09:07:43, 23/08/07 »
I've been thinking further on this, and was wondering if you (talanath) are American or Canadian?

The reason I ask is that a few years ago I was walking the Thames Path, and to avoid a sudden thunderstorm I took refuge in a pub in Windsor.    While there I overheard a couple from Vancouver asking the barmaid for directions to a restaurant some 20 miles away.    Unlike the barmaid I did know where it was, so volunteered the information.

Anyway I got talking to them, and explained that I was walking the 200+ miles of the Thames Path.   The lady explained that she too was a walker, and asked what I was using for protection.    They were a nice couple so I assumed she wasn't talking about condoms, so asked what she was talking about.    She replied that in the areas around Vancouver they usually took guns as a (last resort) defence against bears.    I pointed out that the biggest danger on the Thames Path was being mugged in Lewisham.

The point of all this being, that if any of our associates across the pond are considering walking in Europe, bears are not a major worry so don't think it necessary to accumulate an armoury to take on a simple hiking trip.

S.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:11:22, 23/08/07 »
My oh my! This has to be one of the most thought provoking discussions I've ever followed.

Tonyk, where on earth did you learn about using a can of WD40 as a flame-thrower? (Of course, we've all got one of those in our kit, haven't we...)
And Snowman, I bet you thought your luck was in when the Canadian lady asked you what protection you were using?

I don't know if this is the place to start reminiscing about encounters with wildlife, but my only experience was many years ago when I was camping solo near Penmaenmawr in North Wales at the age of 16.  I was woken in the night by loud rustling noises coming from underneath my flysheet, and discovered in the morning that every slice of bread had gone from a barely started loaf, leaving just the empty wrapper.  Your guess is as good as mine what that could have been.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:29:50, 24/08/07 »

Tonyk, where on earth did you learn about using a can of WD40 as a flame-thrower?

On a self protection course run by a former KGB  trainer.The WD40 was mainly intended for self protection whilst driving a car and using items which could be legally carried.

I don't know if this is the place to start reminiscing about encounters with wildlife, but my only experience was many years ago when I was camping solo near Penmaenmawr in North Wales at the age of 16.  I was woken in the night by loud rustling noises coming from underneath my flysheet, and discovered in the morning that every slice of bread had gone from a barely started loaf, leaving just the empty wrapper.  Your guess is as good as mine what that could have been

A bear? ;D

pete_inthehills

« Reply #7 on: 09:43:51, 28/08/07 »
  I was woken in the night by loud rustling noises coming from underneath my flysheet, and discovered in the morning that every slice of bread had gone from a barely started loaf, leaving just the empty wrapper.  Your guess is as good as mine what that could have been.

I had something similar happen at the campsite at glen brittle on the Isle of Skye, only this time the creature came in to the tent and took all the bread.  I wasn't there at the time, but I kept my eyes peeled and the next day I saw a herring gull push its way in and take more bread.  After that we kept all the food in the car.

pete
inthehills

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy