Author Topic: what type of hiking socks?  (Read 3006 times)

Glassescase

what type of hiking socks?
« on: 09:20:14, 17/03/20 »
sorry if this has been asked many times, I'm new to the forum.
What are the best type of walking sock to buy? I have looked on the internet and it is a minefield, different web sites giving different advise.
I seem to suffer blisters on my two smallest toes of my right foot.
Have tried 2 pairs of socks but still a problem but I could be wearing the wrong material.

if you could tell me what is the best type of sock and why, so I can understand I would appreciate it.
Generally walking in the UK, not getting wet from water getting into the boot, feet get hot, walking up to 13 miles

thank you

Glassescase

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: what type of hiking socks?
« Reply #1 on: 09:25:11, 17/03/20 »
Could be your boots rather than your socks.  Were they fitted properly when you bought them?
Solvitur Ambulando

Glassescase

« Reply #2 on: 09:38:00, 17/03/20 »
Could be your boots rather than your socks.  Were they fitted properly when you bought them?

I cant recall I have had them quite some time. I don't notice my feet slipping in them or being pinched, they feel comfortable.
It is generally walks over 6ish miles when the problem seems to appear

Glassescase

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:44:01, 17/03/20 »
No doubt you will get many different suggestions - one size/type does not suit all. My preference is for Bridgedales with a high wool content.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:09:34, 17/03/20 »
I'm a fan of Bridgedales too - most of the  carrier bag of socks in the wardrobe are Bridgedales.  I use the Coolmax in summer and the grey ones at other times - no idea what model. 
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:16:08, 17/03/20 »
No doubt you will get many different suggestions
or not

I also use Bridgedale, Coolmax or Trekker depending on the season. I wear 2 pairs of socks and always use Coolmax liner socks.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:30:18, 17/03/20 »

I cant recall I have had them quite some time. I don't notice my feet slipping in them or being pinched, they feel comfortable.
It is generally walks over 6ish miles when the problem seems to appear

Glassescase

And have your toes blistered all that time when you’ve done longish walks?

If you’ve tried different sock combos, but still keep getting blisters, then far more likely to be boots rather than socks root cause.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:01:13, 17/03/20 »
I've never been convinced about right or wrong socks when hiking. I know from my experience that I have a number of different types of socks and they all seem to work in their own way. Some feel more comfortable than others, some seem to feel more'sweaty' than others and some, for example, do not seem to not be suitable winter wear at all and do not keep my feet warm.

For me it's the boots that matter, do they fit properly, etc. For example, I used to get lots of blisters but when I had my feet measured properly I was advised to wear women's boots (narrower ankle fitting) and I have done ever since and for me blisters now are a thing of the past.

Glassescase

« Reply #8 on: 11:14:00, 17/03/20 »
perhaps the question I should be asking is, what is the best material  for walking socks?

The various socks you have all mentioned, why do you recommend them?

My sock combination may be wrong, the inner sock could be wrong. It is not uncomfortable
but may still be wrong.

Wrapping my toes in soft toilet paper seems to help protect them but makes a mess when removing the inner sock.

Would Toe sleeves/caps be an idea to try, does anyone use them.
sorry I cant post a link to some on amazon to give an idea of what I mean

Glassescase

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:19:11, 17/03/20 »
perhaps the question I should be asking is, what is the best material  for walking socks?

The various socks you have all mentioned, why do you recommend them?

My sock combination may be wrong, the inner sock could be wrong. It is not uncomfortable
but may still be wrong.

Wrapping my toes in soft toilet paper seems to help protect them but makes a mess when removing the inner sock.

Would Toe sleeves/caps be an idea to try, does anyone use them.
sorry I cant post a link to some on amazon to give an idea of what I mean

Glassescase

I’ve used silicon toe caps to protect big toe when using new boots. They worked pretty well, but I think you might well struggle to find any that fit comfortably on the two smaller toes.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:40:42, 17/03/20 »
After hearing the boss of Mountain Whorehouse say that the sales where down 50% yesterday and he feared for the company, I went into the local store.
Got 3 pairs of socks for a fiver.  They were repricing just about everything this morning.
No idea if they are any good yet, but would do for work, and I needed some new socks anyway.
[I hate the chain and their ridiculous pricing policy, but the manager is a knowledgeable bloke and gives good advice]
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:30:24, 17/03/20 »
What type of socks are you currently using Glassescase?

Are they the "flat weave" style fashion/dress sock or are they a "loop weave" style sports sock?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:13:50, 17/03/20 »
Best material has to be high in natural fibres.  I use thick cotton sport socks with my walking shoes and wool socks with my boots.  Blisters are caused by heat, usually caused by friction over a few hours.  That can be because your foot wear is too tight or too lose or a combination of the two across your foot.  So as others have said make sure your boots fit properly.  I take my walking socks with me when trying on new boots. :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:01:45, 17/03/20 »
Blisters are caused by heat, usually caused by friction over a few hours.
by heat do you meant temperature?
Usually to get a burn bad enough to cause blustering of the skin you need a temperature of over 70°C. That is about as hot as a very hot radiator and 5°C above the limit for domestic hot water.
I think foot blistering is most likely to be caused by mechanical damage to the skin.
So agree you need well fitting footwear.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Pitboot

« Reply #14 on: 17:36:51, 17/03/20 »
I have been using Darn Tough socks when on leisure walks over the last eight months, I used to get hot spots with Bridgedales but I do not get them now. For work I have been wearing Rohan over the calf length trekking socks, extremely comfortable, and I am on my feet all night wearing heavy Lowa boots.

I like a close, but not tight, fit, prefer merino with a bit of lycra to keep the sock in the right place. I found that my older Bridgedales would slip down and sometimes bunch up under the toe area, not a criticism of the brand, maybe they were just getting a bit worn.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy