Author Topic: Posting supplies ahead to save weight  (Read 4042 times)

Solofool

Posting supplies ahead to save weight
« on: 13:50:45, 17/03/08 »
Hi all, i am off to sunny (not) Edale on Thursday to begin the long haul to Scotland and having checked the long range weather forecast i might need to pack my ski's, so i am having to shed some weight. Bowes appears to be the half way point (ish) and has a post office, so i have read somewhere you are able to post yourself a parcel for collection at the post office and they will hold it for you for 2 weeks, is this so?

Has anyone done this before?

Cheers in advance (ski's are a joke of course although might have to pack the thermals as it is also saying upwards of -7 and plus some with the wind chill)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Posting supplies ahead to save weight
« Reply #1 on: 17:37:40, 17/03/08 »
You can indeed post stuff to yourself. You need to find the address of the post office and send it there addressed to yourself "post restante".
Its important that you confirm the opening times of the post office,  in small places  like Bowes, though,  - because often  post offices in villages dont open every day, and, recently, quite a few post offices have closed. You wouldnt want to be stuck outside a closed shop without your scoff and clean undercrackers innit? Alternatively, pubs, hotels  and campsites will sometimes accept a parcel if you ring them and ask them nicely.
I think you'd be better sending stuff to a bigger place like Middleton in Teesdale or Alston, though.  If you're thinking about  posting food, you might consider that it would be substantially cheaper to buy it locally, or even get the bus into Barnard Castle and back. Parcels are expensive to send. 
As for the weather - I bet you  forty pence and a bag of crisps it'll be rough on Thursday, then cold and bright for the next few days with the odd snowy flurry, but mainly dry. 
If you get stuck with the logistics about posting supplies, you know what to do  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 17:40:21, 17/03/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:50:53, 17/03/08 »
 I wouldn't worry too much about supplies as you hit a town every few days.

Hebden Bridge,42 miles,all major supplies.

Gargrave,70 miles all major supplies.

Malham,77 miles, post office and general supplies.

Horton,92 miles,cafe and shop.

Hawes,108 miles, all major supplies.

Keld,120 miles possible farm shop.

Middleton 140 miles.all major supplies.

Dufton 162 miles,?

Alston,182 miles all major supplies.

Greenhead,200 miles,garage and shop.

Bellingham,225 miles,all major supplies.

Bryness 241 miles,cafe and pub.

I have never sent  parcels on the PW,only did it once on my first walk,the Coast to Coast in 1982,sent a jacket,three pairs of spare socks,a second pair of boots,dehydrated meals, and five cylinders of gaz to the PO in Richmond,right next door to a camping shop! ;D

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:33:46, 17/03/08 »
Whats the royal mails policy on posting alcohol and tobacco  ;D ;D ;D ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:40:20, 17/03/08 »
Dunno about the alcohol and tobacco - I suspect they'd be OK with it as both of these are legal and freely available for purchase (dont suppose they'd notice the tobacco, in fact but I'd be worried about sending a supply of me prized malt through the post in case the container burst open or something horrible like that...)   - I'm not sure they'd be too chuffed about Tonyk's gas, though!
You dont have to say whats in the parcel unless you're sending it abroad.
« Last Edit: 20:45:28, 17/03/08 by mike knipe »

Solofool

« Reply #5 on: 22:58:40, 17/03/08 »
Well here is a picture of all my food, enough for 14 days, hence why might need to split it.

The white packets are 60 bags of coffee/milk powder and sugar, and another 10 packets of carb powder, along with 10 mountain house freeze dried main meals. Lots of mars bars and 14 pouchs of granola breakfast and assorted bars
« Last Edit: 23:00:57, 17/03/08 by Solofool »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:51:09, 18/03/08 »
  Dufton 162 miles,?

I was surprised to see this but as it is a long time since I was there I had a quick Google and it looks like the postoffice/shop has gone. :(

Solofool, have a great time, I'm in the middle of 3 weeks of hell at work compounded by complaints at home that they never see me as I'm leaving before 8am and getting home after 11pm. So even when you are up to your knees in freezing mud with the sleet coming at you horizontally I'll still be jealous.

Solofool

« Reply #7 on: 17:07:33, 18/03/08 »
Spoke to the post mistress at Bowes postoffice, ask if i could send to her postoffice, not a problem she said although only open mon/ tues and thurs, although said as they live next door if i turned up on the other days or later then she would open up and give me my parcel.....how nice is that!!!!

Cant wait, regardless of weather will love every minute of it (i hope) anyway to be out othe office for over 2 weeks now that i cant wait for.

Mike, Tan Hill  pub next Thurs Lol

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:51:47, 18/03/08 »
I've put Tan Hill in the diary  for next Thursday - probably have a little walk first.....   O0. Let me know the time nearer the time...if you catch my drift.
Have a good time anyway.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:32:18, 18/03/08 »
 You look well organised,SF. Pack weight could be saved by buying Mars bars on the trail.I tend to go for lemon tea,only requires one source of powder and is quite refreshing.one other tip for the cold weather,Ran Fiennes soup,use any type of soup and lace it with 55% fat,lard is best.Its great in the cold weather and on the walk you will probably burn around 5000 calories a day.Fat is a good source of fuel.

Good luck with the walk.

kkm

« Reply #10 on: 22:12:26, 20/03/08 »
I was surprised to see this but as it is a long time since I was there I had a quick Google and it looks like the postoffice/shop has gone. :(

Solofool, have a great time, I'm in the middle of 3 weeks of hell at work compounded by complaints at home that they never see me as I'm leaving before 8am and getting home after 11pm. So even when you are up to your knees in freezing mud with the sleet coming at you horizontally I'll still be jealous.

correct - last summer there was no shop in dufton - the nearest town was appleby, which had a good few shops though if you were really desperate. there is a mighty fine pub there though, and a youth hostel where you might be able to by some food  :)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:05:45, 24/03/08 »
Hi SF.., I don't recall us chatting before this so I'll say hello now and good luck on your trekk it sounds great, when exactly are you going? and how many of yous are they're? the reason i ask is just out of interest,plus theres nothing better than preparing for a really good trekking/adventure so to say, And by the sounds of things your quite ready apart from this posting supplies buisness..,Do you mind if i ask what gear you'll be using...i'e..rucsac,sleepingbag,stove,tent,clothing,boots and as its going to be cold what precautions will you be using like what  TonyK said about putting lard into your soup for instance?   Anyway have you got all the gear side of things covered? are you using a GPS system or good old fashioned MAP & COMPASS?  I apologise if i seem extremely nosey but i find it very interesting listening to somebody else's preparation of a trekk their about to undertake...good luck to you SF.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:39:34, 24/03/08 »
 Darksky, I believe he set off from Edale last Friday morning.He mentioned his kit on another thread.He's walking alone,without a tent,just using a tarpauline to sleep under with a bivvi bag and sleeping bag.It must be pretty rough in this cold weather, like being stranded at sea on a life raft.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:50:58, 24/03/08 »
Thanks for letting me know that, and yes i bet he is feeling the cold, mind you if he's got really good gear i doubt it eh, i'd love to know what gear he is using, anyway no bovver i supose, just hope he takes some good photo's eh pal.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

ogy

« Reply #14 on: 15:17:33, 28/03/08 »
Bet he's glad he took the big coat ;)
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy