Author Topic: Hobbies related to walking...  (Read 2917 times)

ogy

Re: Hobbies related to walking...
« Reply #15 on: 21:52:21, 11/02/08 »
There's nothing more I love doing before a hike then planning the route, learning what I am to expect, doing research, etc - it really adds to it.

Ditto, This is one of the best parts for me, sad innit :D I've always got my head in a map or on google earth, get-a-map, met site, comparing gps points with maps etc etc

post/pre walk watering holes

Double Ditto ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great pics

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Snowman

« Reply #16 on: 10:22:37, 15/02/08 »
My walking got me into picture frame making.

When out in the mountains the photography bit can be easy, because it's often more difficult to take a bad picture as the scenery is so stunning, but to frame your photographs so that you can hang them costs the earth.

I therefore went to the local bookshop, bought a book on frame making and have since made my own.    The first couple of frames more than pay for the equipment you need and it's not exactly an arduous job.    I now reckon it costs me about £10 a frame as opposed to about £50 ready made at the local shop.   The glass is the expensive bit.    Getting enlarged photographs is so cheap these days (from digital images that is).

I know you can get cheap, ready made frames for about the same cost, but in my opinion they lack a professional look.

S

Feriol

« Reply #17 on: 00:56:10, 22/02/08 »
Excellent paintings, i envy your talents.

I enjoy writing poetry, and i write something nearly every time i walk. Rarely is the poem i write about walking or where i am, but i find i'm more relaxed and think better, the words just flow. i find it hard to concentrate at home.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:48:29, 22/02/08 »
Didn't Wordsworth write poetry when walking as well? Can't remember  :-\

Feriol

« Reply #19 on: 09:16:08, 22/02/08 »
Didn't Wordsworth write poetry when walking as well? Can't remember  :-\

Yeah, and also his friend, and my favorite poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. they often walked together apparently.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:16:51, 22/02/08 »
they often walked together apparently.

So he wasn't always lonely when he was wandering.

You'll all be pleased to know that is the end of my poetry knowledge so no more comments like that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy