Author Topic: A flying visit to Woodend Height  (Read 1816 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
A flying visit to Woodend Height
« on: 13:40:55, 02/09/19 »
I was busy over the bank holiday weekend but it was a shame to let the nice weather go to waste so on Sunday afternoon I loaded up the tent and headed for the Corney Fell road..
Looking up to the Buckbarrow group of fells. The path follows the wall which curves around to meet the fells.
Very hazy over Black Combe and the sea. Stoneside hill is the small top beyond the cars.
The main path passes through the gap on the right but a thinner trod follows the wall and becomes a mild scramble over Great Paddy Crag.
Following the path which flanks Burn Moor heading for Whitfell.
And a look back to the Buckbarrow group from the gentle ascent of Whitfell.
I was beaten to the top by one or two flying ants. It looks like the meet up section of the ant walking forum is in fine fettle  :)
Leaving the ants to continue their party at the summit I headed down in the direction of Stainton Pike. The high fells are lost in the haze.
Holehouse tarn with Stainton Pike beyond. I am heading for the next top along which is Yoadcastle.
The ants seemed to congregate on every rock outcrop, I'm just glad they were just annoying ants rather than bitey ants.
Too many ants and not enough flat grass to camp on Yoadcastle so I headed to the next top along  which is Woodend Height. This is Yoadcastle from a small tarn between the tops.
The Woodend branch of the ant colony were occupying the cairn on Woodend Height so I had to pitch a few yards away. The High fells are a little clearer but not much.
Looking back to Yoadcastle, Stainton Pike and Whitfell,
Eventually the temperature dropped and the breeze got up so the ants retired for the night allowing me to get a view of Devoke Water from the cairn.
It was turning into a lovely late afternoon.
The Esk estuary. White Pike on the right.
Looking inland over the dome of Hesk Fell to Caw and the Coniston group.
The high fells from the Haycock ridge on the left to Crinkle Crags on the right seem to be floating on a bed of cloud.
It's a quarter to nine at the end of a lovely day. The coast and most of the fells where clagged in on Monday morning so I retraced my steps back to my car.
My route was -
25th. Summit of Corney Fell Rd - Buck Barrow - Whitfell - Holehouse Tarn - Yoadcastle - Woodend Height (about 4.5 miles  950 ft of ascent )26th. Return the same way.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: A flying visit to Woodend Height
« Reply #1 on: 14:49:51, 02/09/19 »
Excellent afternoon there and a great pitch  O0
I've never witnessed ants in such numbers, well captured in the pictures.
Those hills are much underrated, usually deserted too.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:16:58, 02/09/19 »
Great pics Karl, looks a stunning area.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:00:01, 02/09/19 »
Nice one karl O0
Lovely sunset, those flying ants are a right nuisance  :(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:55:46, 02/09/19 »
Did you have those kippers with you again? That might have attracted all the ants  ;)

Well not the same kippers, obviously  ::)

Nice pics Karl  O0
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:00:01, 03/09/19 »
What a great choice of fells to avoid the crowds. Great TR & photos  O0
I find something special in the areas out beyond Dunnerdale, the fells & views always seem to have an 'atmosphere' of their own: Especially so on a hazy day such as that.
It must have been national ant day or something ..... we were inundated with them at home - crawling out of gaps in the paving slabs around the house & crawling up the walls of the house to get enough height to launch into flight. Not much fun for me perched precariously on a high ladder wielding a bow saw / hedge trimmer and seemingly in the middle of their flight path, while attempting to cut about 8' off the top of a group of conifers.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:54:46, 03/09/19 »
Great pictures of a cracking walking area.  There are still lots of quiet places in the lakes for those who like a bit of solitude.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:25:03, 03/09/19 »
Excellent afternoon there and a great pitch  O0
Thanks Geoff O0

Great pics Karl, looks a stunning area.
Cheers Ridge O0

Nice one karl O0 
Lovely sunset, those flying ants are a right nuisance  :(
Thanks mate. O0  A few summit slugs would have been handy to gobble up some ants ;D

Did you have those kippers with you again? That might have attracted all the ants  ;)

Well not the same kippers, obviously  ::)

Nice pics Karl  O0
Thanks April O0
Any spare kippers had been snaffled by Squeaky  ;D

What a great choice of fells to avoid the crowds. Great TR & photos  O0 
I find something special in the areas out beyond Dunnerdale, the fells & views always seem to have an 'atmosphere' of their own: Especially so on a hazy day such as that.
It must have been national ant day or something ..... we were inundated with them at home
You're spot on there IM the fells around the Duddon somehow do have a nice feel about them O0   I've seen a couple of posts on facebook regarding the ants and they were pretty much everywhere

Great pictures of a cracking walking area.  There are still lots of quiet places in the lakes for those who like a bit of solitude.

Thanks mate O0  Apart from a couple picnicking at the parking space on Corney fell I saw no one on either day

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:33, 04/09/19 »
Beautiful pictures of lovely quiet fells, Karl. That SW corner has so much to offer the discerning walker looking to escape the crowds.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:34:41, 04/09/19 »
Beautiful pictures of lovely quiet fells, Karl. That SW corner has so much to offer the discerning walker looking to escape the crowds.

Thanks Richard O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:55:25, 05/09/19 »
Great pics, and well done for avoiding THEM  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:44:28, 05/09/19 »
Nice TR karl of another place I hadn't heard of.

It's interesting how you all like to escape the crowds, I don't really mind them. There's something to be said for solo solitary walks but people are differently enjoyable.

My ideal on solo walks is to meet a person every few hours to chat briefly to then continue on.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:48:55, 05/09/19 »
The lower fells between Dunnerdale and Eskdale are a great place to escape the crowds, and have a unique quality to them.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:20:14, 05/09/19 »

Know what you mean mate. 20 billion flying ants were still not as annoying as THEM ;D

Nice TR karl of another place I hadn't heard of.
Thanks Rob O0
You should get the train down the coast there is some great walking down there ;)

The lower fells between Dunnerdale and Eskdale are a great place to escape the crowds, and have a unique quality to them.
I know exactly what you mean Richard, although it's hard to put into words,  those easy,  low by comparison fells have something special ( to me at least ) about them. :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:10:57, 05/09/19 »

I can't think who you mean  :D

20 billion flying ants were still not as annoying as THEM ;D

I can't think who you mean  :D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy