Author Topic: Books  (Read 40461 times)

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
Re: Books
« Reply #30 on: 22:40:46, 19/11/10 »
Into Thin Air; Jon Krakauer; classic and controversial account of the Everest 1996 disaster-this book changed my life engendering a fascination for the highest places and their environs and inhabitants.
The Climb, tragic ambitions on Everest; Anatoli Boukreev and Gary Weston De Walt  an account of the same event from a different angle
Left For Dead; Beck Weathers....the story of the chap who was, well, left for dead on Everest-astonishing
High Exposure-an enduring passion for Everest and unforgiving places; David Breashears....another Everest one but with an autobiographical element from a respected filmaker and mountaineer.
Savage Summit-The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the World's Most Feared Mountain; Jennifer Jordan.......fascinating account of the female climbers who have climbed K2, a must for the lasses
Summit Fever; Andrew Grieg...hugely entertaining account of how an armchair climber became a participant on an expedition to the Mustagh Tower in the Karakoram
Touching the Void; Joe Simpson....if you havent heard of this you must have been on Mars for the last 10 years....read it!
The first Fifty-Munro bagging without a beard;Muriel Gray ...an accessible and irreverent tale of hillwalking and bagging munros
Patagonia; Bruce Chatwin...it's a classic and IMHO is partly dreary, partly fascinating account of travels around...guess where? yup, Patagonia (it's bigger than you think)
A Walk in the Woods; Bill Bryson....hilarious account of walking (some of) the Appalachian Way...
Into the Wild; Jon Krakauer...thought provoking account of young idealist's doomed adventure in the Alaskan wilderness.
White Spider; Heinrich Harrer - The Man himself  - Classic account of the ascent of the Eiger[/size]
Dark Summit; The Extraordinary True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season
The Beckoning Silence; Joe Simpson - Slow starter but picks up - Another book on the Eiger among other things.High Risk by Matt Dickinson - probably among the worst novels I have ever read, but the author had 'accidentally' climbed Everest at some time in his life and the descriptions of the main character attempting the climb really opened my eyes to what it's like up there. (No, I don't fancy giving it a go!).
 I have just read an extract of 'Just for the love of it' by Cathy O'Dowd (the first American woman to summit Everest, I believe) and I shall be reading more.
 Currently reading  Death on the Ice by Robert Ryan, a speculative novel based on Scotts polar expedition.
Forbidden Land;The history of the struggle for the right to roam mountains and moorland written by Tom Stephenson
'I bought a mountain' by Thomas Firbank.....  a wonderful book about hill farming in Snowdonia.  If you like Snowdonia you will love this book.
'Feet in the Clouds:A Story of Fell Running and Obsession' by Richard Askwith stories of fell running heroes, awesome athletes most people won't have heard of together with the authors own obsession with trying to complete the Bob Graham round. A really well written sports book.
Granny Trek by Beryl Griffiths story of how 65 year old Beryl walked 600miles from Lowestoft to St Davids Head to raise money for Childrens Hospice South West. Profits from the book go to the charity too.
Cairngorm John: A life in mountain rescue.  Some interesting bits in the book although not perhaps as interesting as I'd hoped.
Touching my fathers soul - 'we shouldnt believe that small wrongdoing can do no harm, because even a small spark can ignite a giant pile of hay. similarly the value of the smallest good deed should not be underestimated, for even tiny flakes of snow, falling one atop another, can blanket the tallest mountains in pure whiteness'

Bread and Ashes by Tony Anderson, The Accursed Mountains by Robert Carver and The Places In Between by Rory Stewart. Not mountaineering books as such, more accounts of journeys through mountainous ranges focusing on the people, history and culture of the areas as much as the geography covering, respectively, Georgia, Albania and Afghanistan. Not easy reads particularly, but unrelenting in their honesty and fascination.
Also The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthieson. The search for these elusive creatures in the remote Inner Dolpo region of the Himalayas. I thought I wasn't going to like this with it's early dose of 70's Buddhist pseudo-hippy clap trap, but having got past the worst of that it proved to be one of the most fascinating reads of recent times and one that I find myself thinking back to frequently. 

Learning To Breathe by Andy CaveIt was the first "Climbing" book I read and enjoyed the whole thing.  Learnt alot about being a coal miner in the 70's as well, bloody hell they earnt their money. PP
Walk

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: 12:41:22, 20/11/10 »
From Pete's list - The White Spider is a classic
Cairngorm John is good but short
and another addition I liked was Phsycovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Mike-OS

« Reply #32 on: 12:50:16, 21/11/10 »
A couple of books by Reinhold Messner made an impression on me:
'Free Spirit A Climber Life.' Tells his story from when he first started climbing in the Dolomites with his brother. Also, 'All Fourteen 8000ers' is a good read.

Another book that I read years ago that made an impression on me was 'Clouds from Both Sides' by Julie Tullis.
It tells her story from starting climbing on the sandstone crags near Tunbridge Wells to her Himalayan exploits. How she grew developed mental and physical strength and endurance by using her Aikido training in mountaineering.

Alex Quinn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:45:33, 21/11/10 »
From Pete's list - The White Spider is a classic
Cairngorm John is good but short
and another addition I liked was Phsycovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick

I've also read "Phsycovertical". His European exploits left me numb, he seemed to have no fear of failure/death, bordering on stupidity. Not being a mountaineer though I can't properly judged the risks that he took.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: 23:19:47, 21/11/10 »
I've also read "Phsycovertical". His European exploits left me numb, he seemed to have no fear of failure/death, bordering on stupidity. Not being a mountaineer though I can't properly judged the risks that he took.

I think the title gives it away "Phsyco" is probably accurate 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:18:50, 23/11/10 »
Well I'm still working my way through 'White Spider' and have a second book in the wings for when I finish it, which could be some time, at the rate I'm reading it.

Rob.

Mike-OS

« Reply #36 on: 14:47:27, 24/11/10 »
If you like the White Spider I can recommend The Climb Up to Hell by Jack Olsen.  
It’s about the attempt on the North Wall of the Eiger in 1957 by two teams, one Italian and one German.  
The Italians were Claudio Corti and Stephano Longhi. The two teams combined on the climb but got into trouble.  
Corti was rescued by someone descending on a winch wire from near the summit, but they couldn’t save his partner. The incident is mentioned in Harrer’s book The White Spider.  
 Corti was blamed for the disaster, he died recently and there was an interesting article on UKC about the case:  
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2483 [nofollow]

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:40:54, 24/11/10 »
A few more to add to the list which i have read recently. Great thread by the way !!

Annapurna - Maurice Herzog
An amazing tale of the ascent of the first 8000m peak.

Minus 148 - Art Davidson
The first winter ascent of Mount Mckinley.

Hard Years - Joe Brown
The story of a climbing legend

The Villain - Don Whillans
The story of the other somewhat different climbing legend

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:19:15, 02/12/10 »
Ron Fawcett's long awaited book Rock Athlete is a fascinating read for anyone interested in climbing.

Another is Beyond the Mountain by Steve House (who Messner describes as the best high-altitude climber in the world today)

Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

stonemark

« Reply #39 on: 02:05:04, 06/12/10 »
yes, your all give great books you've read before,but i can't to find them and experience it, if there's some online reading books, that's will better, is it?

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:42:52, 09/12/10 »
yes, your all give great books you've read before,but i can't to find them and experience it, if there's some online reading books, that's will better, is it?

you what?
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Mountaingirl

« Reply #41 on: 22:04:02, 20/12/10 »
If you like the White Spider I can recommend The Climb Up to Hell by Jack Olsen.
It’s about the attempt on the North Wall of the Eiger in 1957 by two teams, one Italian and one German.
The Italians were Claudio Corti and Stephano Longhi. The two teams combined on the climb but got into trouble.
Corti was rescued by someone descending on a winch wire from near the summit, but they couldn’t save his partner. The incident is mentioned in Harrer’s book The White Spider.
 Corti was blamed for the disaster, he died recently and there was an interesting article on UKC about the case:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2483
That sounds interesting ::) .
I have almost come to the end of White Spider, in which this disaster was mentioned. Harrer is inclined to be rather critical about Corti, despite that he defended most of the climbers against media criticism through the book.
I enjoyed the part with Harrer's own experience. I did not enjoy so much about his 'history of North Wall' part. Especially he describes most of the climbers as 'excellent climber' which bored me :-\ Maybe, in his time, act of adventure might have been much criticised and he wanted to defend what he loved. I preferred Joe Simpson's 'Touching the void' in which he wrote with such honesty. He did not show himself as a strong man or a hero, but showed his weakness as a human, which touched my heart :'( .

When I finish White Spider in a few days, I need to pick next one. Since I am going to do Annapurna Sanctuary, I am thinking about  Into Thin Air. If anybody has read it, can I have your thoughts? Or if anybody can recommend a book related to Annapurna, Everest?  ::)   Thanks

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:08:06, 20/12/10 »
you what?

Stonemark sounds foreign to me - possibly Welsh?  :)

Either that or it is 'Stonedmark'  ::)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 03:55:21, 21/12/10 »

Stonemark sounds foreign to me - possibly Welsh?  :)

Either that or it is 'Stonedmark'  ::)

He's chinese according to his link - just a spammer but quite amusing. I think he might get deleted in the new year O0

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 07:42:48, 21/12/10 »
He's chinese according to his link - just a spammer but quite amusing. I think he might get deleted in the new year O0

I was sure he sounded like he was from Swansea......oh well. :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy