Author Topic: Do I walk fast enough to go on a meet?  (Read 14399 times)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Re: Do I walk fast enough to go on a meet?
« Reply #30 on: 12:38:59, 08/05/11 »

lust on trains?   8)   

I missed that bit.    ???
Men Only Im afraid  ::) You had hared ahead as per  ;D
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:40:36, 08/05/11 »
it does feel a tad awkward when walking with people faster than you. aching legs out of breath happens to all just keep batting on and enjoy
`that is true wisdom Ian  ;) Will bear that in mind when my calves are screaming stop and my lungs feel like they ve had buckets of tar emptied down them...  ;D
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:45:44, 08/05/11 »
Good grief! I only average 3.6 mph on the flat! In the fells and mountains I range between 1 mph and 2 mph.  That takes in my rest stops, camera moments, the dog's water breaks and, most of all, taking in the wonder of it all. It's not unusual for me to spend an hour or more near the top of any mountain.

I think 1 to 2 mph on mountains is quite an acceptable average. Even 4 mph which is often quoted as an "average" for walking is one hell of a pace to maintain on the flat - ask postmen who have complained about being expected to do this.

If walking with an organised group of any number you would be very unlucky if there was no-one else of your own pace but any decent organised group would overall go at the pace of the slowest - even if it meant some stopping and waiting by some. You have to walk at your own pace. To do anything else will leave you frustrated and exhausted. Its is maybe a case of trying different groups until you find one more to your speed.

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:46:04, 08/05/11 »
Dave, I didn't notice you having much problem on the Howgills meet ... and for all their gentle-rollingness they are STEEP!

(One of the many reasons I would NEVER recommend anyone to bother with them  ;D )

And I think you demonstrated that steep and rounded hill descents are best tackled by using rounded parts of the anatomy.... O0

On the subject of groups and pacing - the principle of the group going at the pace of the slowest is time-honoured and safe, but there can be problems in cold conditions when there's too big a difference between the extremes of a group. The hares then get too cold waiting around for the slower folks, and you get that morale-sapping scenario where the fast ones are needing to crack on as soon as the slower ones catch up!!
I guess there may be times when it's better to split into two groups, as long as there are experienced people with each group.

There are some famous names on here that seem to have a reputation for ultra-speed - I've made a note to be very cautious about going out with some of them!  :o

Agree with Fleegle that Naismith seems pretty unrealistic sometimes.

I feel a poetic moment coming on! Here's one I learnt earlier .... actually at Primary School!!!!

Leisure, by W H Davies.

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

Whitethroat in full voice, Pennington Flash, Leigh, May 2011.  :)

Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:56:52, 08/05/11 »
docpaul

Are you on a mission to improve the cultural tone of the Forum :D :D

Nice ditty and picture, but lets not have too many of such items, after all regular blokes read this forum.

Just off to cycle 4 miles to the pub to watch Man U on the TV, and drink some Guiness. O0 O0

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:03:09, 08/05/11 »
docpaul

Just off to cycle 4 miles to the pub to watch Man U on the TV, and drink some Guiness. O0 O0

;D ;D ;D

"What is this life, if, full of care,
We have no time to have a beer?
No time to see, when hills we pass,
AJ descending on his ............... bottom!"

(Picture deleted for reasons of good taste....)
« Last Edit: 15:10:04, 08/05/11 by docpaul »
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:16:19, 08/05/11 »

;D ;D ;D

"What is this life, if, full of care,
We have no time to have a beer?
No time to see, when hills we pass,
AJ descending on his ............... bottom!"

(Picture deleted for reasons of good taste....)
Don't mind me  ;)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:44:00, 08/05/11 »
Hi AJ

It is all a matter of fitness or that's what my experiences lead me to think. There are lots of techniques  to try and what works for one another may not like.

A lot of the fast folk have or are working on their fitness and as you get fitter you naturally want that bit more of a challenge, distance, pace whatever you set yourself.

If you want fitter the only method is to increase the challenge and often, once in a odd while is not enough. My hill fitness is flagging since loss of my job.

Hope your fitness improves AJ :)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:35:33, 08/05/11 »
It is about enjoying the walk and so doesn't matter what speed you go. I might hare off with the front-runners in a big group but try to be aware if people are struggling or if the group is getting too spread out, and will always suggest we stop to let others catch up. If its just a few people then its easier to all stick together. I do hate hanging around on the uphill sections so will tend to get to a suitable place and then wait rather than walking slowly up the hill. Mr A is probably the slowest walker I know - he won't join the meet-ups because he worries about holding everyone up - but we still enjoy a good day out walking together.

All that aside, if you want to speed up, then the only way to get quicker is to get quicker! You won't get quicker unless you really push yourself. And that will need a big effort, and you will get out of breath and will probably ache more than you do now. You can speed up if you want to. Question is, do you want to? :-\
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:43:28, 08/05/11 »
Now then AJ, it is a shame that we don't live nearer to one another; anyone who has walked with me will tell you that I am slow, even at my fittest my natural pace is s-l-o-w. Last year on the Snowdonia meet, on the way up the Glyders people kept kindly asking if I was OK, I was OK, just moving slowly. On the way down I slowed down, poor Arenig waited for me, and so did Pete. I was grateful but would have managed it on my own. We arrived back at the hostel literally hours after everyone else. I used to feel bad that I was holding people up, but now I tell people that I am slow, I just dont move much faster and if they want to zip along that's fine, they dont have to wait. The only time it is a real issue is if it's cold and people hang about waiting, but then if they arent willing to do that they should probably should only walker with people going at a faster pace.
I came into my own in the Himalayas though where I was the only one of our group who had no altitude symptoms, after the first days big ascent they all decided to let me set the pace as they were all knackered and I was still plodding along  :)
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 16:53:02, 08/05/11 »

lust on trains?   8)   

I missed that bit.    ???

That was the problem dibs, so did I .... so near yet so far away  :) . Anyway aj thought it wor funny and the memories got the adrenalin flowing (at least I think it was adrenalin)  :-[

To be honest I haven't got a clue what aj's on about - damn these senior moments  :(
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 17:01:35, 08/05/11 »
As to the original post - I don't worry too much about being on the slow side nowadays. In a way its an advantage that we slow down - more time to take in the views, chat with others, just enjoy the moment. And pace hasn't really been too much of a problem with most of the groups I have walked with - but docpaul does have a very good point about the 'hares' having to wait around in the cold and then being ready for the off as soon as the 'tortoises' catch up. I reckon there will be plenty of us hanging around at the back on future walks - and anyway, all good things should be savoured for as long as possible  :)
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

cuff

« Reply #42 on: 17:32:51, 08/05/11 »
aj ill walk wi you any day

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:08:26, 08/05/11 »
My hill fitness is flagging since loss of my job.
 Hope your fitness improves AJ :)
Soorry to hear that Jim  :( i need to lose a few stone and start runnin i think  O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:09:58, 08/05/11 »
To be honest I haven't got a clue what aj's on about - damn these senior moments  :(
She was 31 and you were 21  ;)

need any more hints?  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy