Author Topic: Heights...eek!  (Read 17415 times)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Heights...eek!
« Reply #15 on: 18:34:00, 23/05/11 »
Thought afterwards of a delightful path that people with Ruth's slight nervousness might find to be good 'training' in total safety. It is the Offas Dyke Trail under the Eglwyseg cliffs north of Llangollen - a well-beaten path you could actually run along, but is halfway up a 45 degree scree slope. The great scenery will keep your mind off the slope and it really would'nt matter if you did step off the path.

wanderingchas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:36:37, 23/05/11 »
It won't hurt if you fall, Chas, 'cos you will be dead.

Very true, especially if "Her Out Doors" pushes me  ;D ;D ;D
I think the idea of using an indoor climbing wall sounnds like a great idea O0
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:50:47, 23/05/11 »
bits like legs and head do tend to come off in a long fall and you might be aware of this.

this is not comforting at all! I am a little bit scared at heights, although I have to change that to 'quite a bit' after seeing those pictures of Crib Goch. I'm seriously doubting I could do that. However, I am MUCH more scared of the pot hole idea. Can't cope with that at all.  :-\

soulwalker

« Reply #18 on: 20:00:19, 23/05/11 »
I'm not sure that it's heights I'm afraid of per se, but exposure definately, I get that eerie jittery feeling - it could be a severe drop or just a few feet. I was expecting to feel exposed on crib goch and never did, the pinnacles had good blocky hand and foot holds too. But I turned to jelly legs on the 'bad step' on Sharp Edge, I think it was the angle of the rock and the polish on them that threw my co-ordination? Don't laugh but I really had to talk myself over that! I felt like I was in one of those 'wonky' houses you get at theme parks!

I also turned back on the pinnacle ridge on St Sunday Crag where you reach that wall bit (sorry I guess that's not the technical term for it), I was fine up till then but then I didn't feel happy with the hand and foot holds, which was probably a lot less bigger drop than clambering up to that point but I felt more insecure.

I don't think I'll ever win the freedom of Tryfan though, a natural fear of heights really kicks in there - I can't even watch other people attempting it!

northernfall

« Reply #19 on: 20:12:57, 23/05/11 »
Hmm, I wouldn't say I'm afraid of heights as such, I get a massive rush when standing on cliffs or climbing. I like the sense of danger it gives, and also the freedom.

What I am afraid of is falling, not much if I'm going to be saved by a rope (although I suspect this will be greater when I hopefully start leading), but the fear of falling and hitting the ground is big. But I know this will go/reduce once I can get into the habit of climbing lots and developing my skills. I think it's a confidence issue more than anything.

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:15:39, 23/05/11 »
Training helps, yes, but its if you feel confident. If you feel good about doing it, then your half way there. Me, i would never do it alone. I have a fear of heights, but when i'm with someone who beams confidence i never feel so bad. For me also, if its the first time on a particular walk then i am nervous, if i've been there and done it before, i feel happier about doing it a second time.

I am being a numb-nut by saying that  ???
I walk to live

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:30:35, 23/05/11 »
It won't hurt if you fall, Chas, 'cos you will be dead. Although bits like legs and head do tend to come off in a long fall and you might be aware of this.
Delicately put :-\ .

Helpful comments from lots of others though.  Totally agree its a confidence thing and also think we need to learn how to control those fears.  Start off small and build up gradually.  I like the indoor climbing idea - I'd like to have a go at that - it does look like fun.

O0

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:09:16, 23/05/11 »
I'm not really scared of falling, it's just hitting the bottom I'm worried about  :-\ I hate being up ladders, I don't feel safe at all. Up the side of Tryfan I'm not bothered. I think I am capable of being scared but my advice to any fellow walker who is feeling a bit 'iffy' is to just focus on what you're doing at the time, whether that be traversing Crib Goch or scrambling up Jack's Rake  :)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:44:29, 23/05/11 »
I think the issue with the heights for me looking at the Snowdonia threads would have been the wind. It does look a trauma they all went through and luckily no casualties O0 . I wish I had gone. It looks like they all bonded well and braved the weather. A feat more terrifying for some than others, but a huge accomplishment as individuals for all...well done to you all.
R.I.P. Dave.

romaway

« Reply #24 on: 23:43:36, 23/05/11 »
This is very interesting and reassuring at the same time to know others suffer like me.  A phobia  of heights is very different from a rational fear of them. It is not fear of falling or death that scares me particularly, it is just seeing a height that makes me sweat and panic (particularly if driving with a sheer drop) Last month I was sitting on top of a hill with my picnic on a wide slope, safe as houses and no sheer drop and I was looking down at a village and got the sweaty palms and had to move back.  No idea what happens and I knew there was no way I could fall and even if I did I would not come to harm.  It was just the sheer openness and height that made me go funny.

Like the idea of indoor climbing and as acclimatisation and familiarity with phobias is what makes them better, I may try it.   Will probably never do striding edge or the like.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:46:36, 23/05/11 »
If I can add a serious postscript - referring to the Snowdonia meet - I have been over Crib Goch many times but I would not have gone along it in what appear from the photos to be very windy and wet conditions just because it had been planned. The extra degree of risk added by the conditions would not in my opinion be worthwhile and in any case the conditions would take the enjoyment out of the experience. So there is the interesting situation where people, including first-timers, who are apparently scared of exposed rock and heights go up in bad conditions whereas someone who isn't would choose an alternative route. Are they 'brave'  or...................?

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 00:04:49, 24/05/11 »
A somewhat good point. Its not just the wind, but the weight of the rain with the wind against your body.

Me and Swampy have gone on mildly hard walks but for her it has been a real challenge. She has surpassed herself on many occasion O0 . I wouldn't dream of taking her on an extreme walk outside the comfort zone as it not only puts her in danger, it would put both of us in an awkward situation.
Swampy started this thread, and I personally feel in time with gentle persuasion she will be able to tackle ascents with little issues. I do try and support her as best I feel I can. But its down to her self assurance mostly. The indoor rock wall has been great for the lad O0 . It has been many years since I've done anything like that (belaying with figure 8's which are all nearly obsolete now ;D ). Swampy is now feeling she has the courage now to try it also. Thankyou for all your positive posts. Swampy will be showing me the ropes before long O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 00:06:07, 24/05/11 »
Im scared witless by heights but I decided to do Crib Goch to get over it. ranulph fiennes also is scared by heights but he did the south face of the eiger to deal with it, and some of the handholds are only mm deep and at one point you have to launch yourslef round a ridge, and he has a few fingers missing with frost bite. :o

I bottled it on Sharp Edge years ago in drizzle. I cant go up the lift in Blackpool tower cos it has a window in the bottom.Yet I did Crib Goch in those mad conditions  - go figure !  I just decided to do it and knew i could trust mike and graeme. I had been reading a book on summat called NLP that talks about how your mind works. I know a lot of fear is in the mind and that i had to let go of that, acknowledge it, and carry on. There were 4 clear occasions on saturday where I feared I was going to die and coudlnt go on, then i had a little talk to myself and carried on, feel the fear and do it anyway as they say. It s good to get one up on the grim reaper be4 his final call  :o

If I can do it Claire, so can you  :) It dont half feel great after, I can tell you....  O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 00:08:54, 24/05/11 »
Its also physically harder for someone who is scared. They exert their muscles more than someone who is relaxed. So the people who challenge themselves have far more of a challenge O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: 00:40:20, 24/05/11 »
If I can add a serious postscript - referring to the Snowdonia meet - I have been over Crib Goch many times but I would not have gone along it in what appear from the photos to be very windy and wet conditions just because it had been planned. The extra degree of risk added by the conditions would not in my opinion be worthwhile and in any case the conditions would take the enjoyment out of the experience. So there is the interesting situation where people, including first-timers, who are apparently scared of exposed rock and heights go up in bad conditions whereas someone who isn't would choose an alternative route. Are they 'brave'  or...................?

In an ideal world the weather forcast would have been correct. We were due to get high winds around 1200 to 1300 that day and heavy rain starting around 1400. We agreed the night before to set of at seven in the morning to get ahead of the weather. The horseshoe should take between five and six hours to complete. This gave us enough time. When we set off the wind was stronger than expected but it was dry and the rock was good. We went on. The forcast was based on lighter winds so the strong winds blew the bad weather in quicker than expected. The full extent of the wind was not realised until we hit the start of the Crib Goch Ridge. At that time there was no rain. It was put  to the group that the wind was blowing you onto the rock rather than trying to pull you off. It was assessed easier to carry on handrailing the ridge than effect a difficult downclimb back off the start point. It was only when we had been on the ridge about half an hour the rain came on. Whist crossing I felt confident standing on the ridge, others did not we just took our time handrailing along. It was not the best but we made the best of a difficult crossing. I agree no one would set off in bad weather like that but it came on quicker than expected. If you spend enough time on the hills you will experience days like this and learn to enjoy them.       
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy