Author Topic: First ever wildcamp - Advice needed  (Read 25336 times)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Re: First ever wildcamp - Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: 20:49:47, 03/02/13 »
For food consider slow release energy foodstuffs, and some snacky stuff for instant pick me up O0 . Having an overly large lunch in a pub will make it harder work.

Also to add to your list;

have you got a decent sleeping bag + mat? It will be cold and damp.

Yes and no :) Sleeping bag says it's comfort at zero and ok to minus 5 degC, so that should be fine.

Looking at this mat. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-SMXTREK-R03M1D-Trek-Standard/dp/B0018PX6PW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2OAN9SCCNTH1I&coliid=I3G7S9Y3HYG4SJ&psc=1
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:57:22, 03/02/13 »

Yes and no :) Sleeping bag says it's comfort at zero and ok to minus 5 degC, so that should be fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-SMXTREK-R03M1D-Trek-Standard/dp/B0018PX6PW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2OAN9SCCNTH1I&coliid=I3G7S9Y3HYG4SJ&psc=1

Andy do you own the sleeping bag or already bought it?  You want as low a rating as you can afford, in relation to weight.  go lower than Extreme -5 that is men't to keep you alive but not guarantee a good nights sleep..

Also with regard food etc, how is your health are you okay with sugar?  Buy a bag of the highest sugar content sweets you can get, they will give you a fast hit of energy if required, but not good if diabetic .... :)

Outwell Cloud 300 Sleeping Bag Quick Overview
The Cloud 300 sleeping bag offers 3 season protection and has a two layer construction making it very warm yet lightweight.
Our Price: £31.99

Year of Manufacture2010
Suggested Usage5°C to 17°CComfort/ Limit/ Extreme5°C / 0°C / -16°C
Season RatingSpring / Summer / Autumn
Shell FabricMicrofibre polyester (100% polyester)LiningMicrofibre polyester (100% polyester)ConstructionTwo layer off-set construction
Filling1150 gr. Isofill
Overall Length (cms)220
Maximum User Height (cm)200Chest width/ Foot width (cms)80 / 65Weight (kg)1.5Fill Weight (g/m²)
NoPack Size Uncompressed (cm)
NoPack Size (cm)37 X 22 
Bit heavy though..

http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/outwell-cloud-300-sleeping-bag.html

« Last Edit: 21:07:33, 03/02/13 by TheGUYuk »

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:57:54, 03/02/13 »

Sometimes (or the the majority of times ::) ) I find the comfort and extreme rating very bias. What is it BTW?
Don't forget you can always sleep in clothes to keep warmer if needed. So probably should be fine with that.

Looks a little similar to one of mine Gelert Xtreme Lite 3/4. It looks reasonable. That will be ample O0 . The more expensive ones pack smaller. But all depends on your budget ;) .
R.I.P. Dave.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:06:52, 03/02/13 »

Andy do you own the sleeping bag or already bought it?  You want as low a rating as you can afford, in relation to weight.  go lower than Extreme -5 that is men't to keep you alive but not guarantee a good nights sleep..

Also with regard food etc, how is your health are you okay with sugar?  Buy a bag of the highest sugar content sweets you can get, they will give you a fast hit of energy if required, but not good if diabetic .... :)

The bag is one I've already got, and budget won't really run to another one just yet. But will have warm clothes to sleep in too, so should be ok.

Sadly, yes, I am type 2 diabetic, although some sugar is ok, as long as I don't overdo it. I'll be burning it off so that shouldn't be a problem. Read in another thread that Custard Creams are good for snacking on while walking so might try that as don't want my blood sugar to go too low either.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:11:23, 03/02/13 »

The bag is one I've already got, and budget won't really run to another one just yet. But will have warm clothes to sleep in too, so should be ok.

Sadly, yes, I am type 2 diabetic, although some sugar is ok, as long as I don't overdo it. I'll be burning it off so that shouldn't be a problem. Read in another thread that Custard Creams are good for snacking on while walking so might try that as don't want my blood sugar to go too low either.

:) ;)    Deleted....................................... O0
« Last Edit: 21:30:39, 03/02/13 by TheGUYuk »

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:15:17, 03/02/13 »
PM en route Jim :)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:16:28, 03/02/13 »
Having doubts about the sleeping mat now. Seems to take quite a lot of room and weigh 1.2kg.

Advice please my good people? What do you all use?

Si 86

« Reply #22 on: 21:23:06, 03/02/13 »
Some great info in here, trawling the links is wetting my appetite for my first wild camp............just need the weather to improve!

Credit for going for such a long trek on your first wild camp Andy, I'll be going for a one night outing first! Good luck with it

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:26:31, 03/02/13 »
Some great info in here, trawling the links is wetting my appetite for my first wild camp............just need the weather to improve!

Credit for going for such a long trek on your first wild camp Andy, I'll be going for a one night outing first! Good luck with it

The weather is my major concern too. Could be lovely spring weather by then but more likely wet, cold and windy :(

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:33:22, 03/02/13 »

It is always each to their own, but I error on caution and always recommend your first time with new kit, camp on a campsite and learn how to use it all when the car boot with supplies is only a walk away............ :)

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:36:27, 03/02/13 »
Having doubts about the sleeping mat now. Seems to take quite a lot of room and weigh 1.2kg.

Advice please my good people? What do you all use?

Pick up a bargain before anyone else does!

450g, self inflating, full length for £35!
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-full-length-camping-mat-782144
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:37:22, 03/02/13 »

It is always each to their own, but I error on caution and always recommend your first time with new kit, camp on a campsite and learn how to use it all when the car boot with supplies is only a walk away............ :)

The car boot WILL be only a walk away...about a thirty mile walk away  :o

I'll make sure it's all tested properly at home first, including sleeping in the thing, so should be ok on the walk.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:42:47, 03/02/13 »

Pick up a bargain before anyone else does!

450g, self inflating, full length for £35!
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-full-length-camping-mat-782144

Same price on Amazon but a quid cheaper on delivery...sorry - once a Yorkshireman always a Yorkshireman :D

Doesn't say what the packed down size is? Any ideas?

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:48:33, 03/02/13 »

Same price on Amazon but a quid cheaper on delivery...sorry - once a Yorkshireman always a Yorkshireman :D

Doesn't say what the packed down size is? Any ideas?

I'm afraid not, I have one of the normal XLites though and it's pretty small, coke can size. It might do you, it's lighter and more compact, but you'll get no insulation with it. Don't think they have it on Amazon though; http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-inflatable-air-mattress-782143

Edit: Sorry, just checked my Xlite, it is 26cm long and with compression is 6cm diameter. So volume wise, about 1.4 coke cans, actual size 2 coke cans.
« Last Edit: 21:52:28, 03/02/13 by OutdoorsApe »
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:58:59, 03/02/13 »

I'm afraid not, I have one of the normal XLites though and it's pretty small, coke can size. It might do you, it's lighter and more compact, but you'll get no insulation with it. Don't think they have it on Amazon though; http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-inflatable-air-mattress-782143

Edit: Sorry, just checked my Xlite, it is 26cm long and with compression is 6cm diameter. So volume wise, about 1.4 coke cans, actual size 2 coke cans.

Thats pretty good though. Wouldn't take a lot of room up in the pack.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy