Author Topic: First ever wildcamp - Advice needed  (Read 25333 times)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Re: First ever wildcamp - Advice needed
« Reply #32 on: 22:25:45, 03/02/13 »
There are loads of similar designs about Andy do a search

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:29:33, 03/02/13 »
Trying to stick to a fairly small budget for the kit.

Got about £100, of which tent will take half, so only fifty quid left.

Still need to source and buy a stove and cooking equip, so every penny is gonna count. Apart from the stove, pans, and mat, I've got pretty much everything else, so should manage it on budget.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:34:24, 03/02/13 »
That including food ? :)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:37:18, 03/02/13 »
That including food ? :)

No. Thats for the kit. Food will be extra. Hoping to keep the grun=b fairly low cost if I can but will have funds for it.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:55:19, 03/02/13 »
I have a cunning plan :)

I'll get all the kit together and next time I'm on nights I'll set it up out the back and sleep in it during the day. That way, if I get any problems, I'll be able to sort them out in daylight :)

I'll also make sure I do some good local training walks with the full pack so I can get used to the extra weight and get used to packing it all.

« Last Edit: 22:58:28, 03/02/13 by Andy Broadley »

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 23:02:03, 03/02/13 »
Be wary of those cheaper tube mats, they are far heavier and bulkier than the karrimor Xlite.

A Trangia Mini kit is an excellent cooking option, lightweight at 300g and compact. They can be had for less than £20. Use an old microwave meal tray as a plate, you can get Foldacups for around £2 for a mug.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 23:05:44, 03/02/13 »
Be wary of those cheaper tube mats, they are far heavier and bulkier than the karrimor Xlite.

A Trangia Mini kit is an excellent cooking option, lightweight at 300g and compact. They can be had for less than £20. Use an old microwave meal tray as a plate, you can get Foldacups for around £2 for a mug.
Yeah I'm not so sure with those kind of mats either.

Sporks are a great investment for little bucks O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 23:08:50, 03/02/13 »

I'm a bit wary of a spirit stove. Mainly because I've never had or used one. Are they ok?

I was thinking about one of those that screw on the top of a small gas canister but if the spirit stove is a better option I'd certainly consider it.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 23:09:24, 03/02/13 »
Yeah I'm not so sure with those kind of mats either.

Sporks are a great investment for little bucks O0 .

A spork is deffo on the list O0

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 23:28:53, 03/02/13 »
Hi-Gear Inferno Stove is a good copy of the Pocket Rocket. Mini Trangia is okay, but slow and awful in the cold. I use nowadays Coleman F1 Lite c/w MSR Titan kettle, that I used this for 14 days on the Coast to Coast walk in 2009.

Alpkit fold-up spork is good and very light-weight. Cheap foam mat is okay, I've the Therma-Rest Pro-lite, not cheap, but worth the money.

One tip is get Platypus bladder and fill it with warm water, lovely and cosy in the sleeping bag.

I've camped in a foot of snow and it's not a bad thing. The most important thing, is get plenty of fuel (food) inside you. Bovril is good stuff for a night-cap.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 00:55:21, 04/02/13 »
Boil-in-the-Bag meal, not bad, pretty bland, but you won't be too fussy about them doing wild-camp.
I've two packs of Adventure Food " Breakfast" to try on my planned North Yorkshire Dales to North Pennines Cycle Trip in April.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 01:10:22, 04/02/13 »
Just looked at those and they seemed fine till I saw the ingredients listed Palm Oil, which I'm trying to make a point of not using because of where it comes from...but thats another issue and I don't want to derail my thread  ;D

Boil in the bag meals sound ideal though because I won't be scrubbing a pan out.

I suppose I could just take Ready Brek with me and make it up in the dish. That way I only have to boil some water.
« Last Edit: 01:16:06, 04/02/13 by Andy Broadley »

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 01:38:01, 04/02/13 »
Just looked at those and they seemed fine till I saw the ingredients listed Palm Oil, which I'm trying to make a point of not using because of where it comes from...but thats another issue and I don't want to derail my thread  ;D

Boil in the bag meals sound ideal though because I won't be scrubbing a pan out.

I suppose I could just take Ready Brek with me and make it up in the dish. That way I only have to boil some water.
Palm Oil, how right you are, just checked the bag, oh dear. :o . Need to check that one out. ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy