Author Topic: Your Last Walk  (Read 36375 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Your Last Walk
« Reply #180 on: 13:37:51, 02/02/17 »
Wasn't Lionel Terray a contemporary of Gaston Rebuffat?or am mixing up names? I certainly bought some gear with his name on it my first trip in Chamonix. Think it was my red duvet jacket, that I had to sit on in any pub I went into so that it did not get stolen.

Enough moles there comfortably to make a moleskin wastecoat. Hanging there the skins will not have started to 'Slip', though niffy job skinning them.

At least it is a sign that the local mole catchers use traps and not poison.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #181 on: 14:19:01, 04/02/17 »
Wasn't Lionel Terray a contemporary of Gaston Rebuffat?or am mixing up names?

Indeed, Gaston Rebuffat (Ghastly Rubberface as we knew him) and Lionel Terray were the same age, unfortunately Terray died far to early, both were big influences on my generaton.

When I first scoped a copy of 'Le massif du Mont-Blanc-Les 100 plus belles courses' it was one of lifes lightbulb moments, like many others, I was hooked.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #182 on: 15:16:44, 06/02/17 »
Image may contain: plant and outdoor

On my last walk I was entering a nature reserve and came across this load of (c)rap, there was plenty more strewn along the footpath.

What really annoys me is when you talk to any dog owner they have always claim to have binned every turd their pet has laid.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #183 on: 23:23:51, 12/02/17 »
Out on Dartmoor today.   Did a walk up from Meldon to Fur Tor Via Kitty Tor and back down the other side of the valley taking in Dinger, High Willhays and Yes Tor  15 miles total around 850m of accents.  Have to say that was the coldest I have ever known it up there.  Only -2-3  but the wind was 40-50 mph from the east and damp.  Great walk though and found a nice warm spot for lunch.

I was fascinated buy the ice crystals on top of Yes Tor.  There has been no snow up there.  Yet there where 5 inch long crystals growing parallel to the ground into the wind.  Very cool.  8)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #184 on: 00:06:18, 13/02/17 »
Great photos of Dartmoor BuzyG. What a superb day it looks like you had.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #185 on: 07:50:52, 13/02/17 »
Love those photos, BusyG - especially the panorama, a cracking shot!  O0

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #186 on: 08:49:20, 13/02/17 »
Good photos BuzyG.  I wish I could have been there.  I've been suffering with a virus infection for the last few weeks that I can't seem to shake off, so I haven't been able to get up on the moor for a while.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #187 on: 21:48:00, 13/02/17 »
Great photos of Dartmoor BuzyG. What a superb day it looks like you had.

Cheers all.  The view makes the picture.  We just press the shutter and hope it's captured.  The Panorama is High Willhays.

Hope your feeling better soon Dave.  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #188 on: 15:31:00, 18/02/17 »
Had a short walk on the London Loop today with my kids and my Dad, he's 79 and hasn't done much walking recently. It was lovely to walk with him again as it is his fault that I go walking at all. I've just cleaned his boots and he is snoring on the sofa next to me.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #189 on: 08:52:56, 19/02/17 »
Diffwys, to collect my rather nice new I phone Italian leather cover.
I was on it's summit Thursday afternoon, and when i arrived home, i realised the phone cover i recently bought in Venice, was missing.
Thankfully i found it still in its Aquapac at the base of the trig point, on Diffwys summit.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #190 on: 11:45:49, 19/02/17 »

My last walk was with a group on the North East coast on a cold dull overcast day.

The final section of the day crossed a beach just after high tide. To me it did not look dangerous but you there were BIG waves that needed watching, at some places I felt the need for speed.

At one such place I heard a surge coming in and put in a sprint outrunning a large breaker onto higher  ground. From my perch I heard a scream and looked back to see one of the girls stood up to her waste in the sea.

I had to chuckle...................then the pantomine really started back at the car park.

DK

« Reply #191 on: 14:33:12, 21/02/17 »

Cheers all.  The view makes the picture.  We just press the shutter and hope it's captured.  The Panorama is High Willhays.

Hope your feeling better soon Dave.  O0
[/quote

Great pics, still a bogfest in many parts though  ::)
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #192 on: 10:20:25, 22/02/17 »
Image may contain: people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

One of my fave sections of the Cleveland way

I quite fancied going out on Thursday this week but the weather looked dodgy so I switched to days. Another local walk on one of my fave sections of the Cleveland way from tthe LWW start Sheepfold, then dropped down to Scot Crags in Scugdale.

Had my rock shoes in my bag so rattled of a few boulder problems, as I got the edge to myself with no mat, I was taking it steady.
All to soon I'm back at the sheepfold after a 12 mile walk, 20 boulder problems plus a can  of photos.

PS Thursday is looking even more dodgy now.................

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy