Author Topic: I took a tumble today  (Read 1652 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
I took a tumble today
« on: 21:20:22, 01/08/19 »
Halfway around today's 9-miles circuit I was walking inside the edge of a beechwood on a 4ft-wide level and flat path that was surfaced with decomposed leaves and woodland detritus.
I was admiring the scenery ahead of me when the toe of my boot caught on a cunningly disguised length of tree root that projected just above the surface.
My poles failed to stop me going over and within about two seconds I was stretched full out kissing the ground.
Nothing was damaged other than my pride, although I felt shaky for a while afterwards, and I must admit that since I returned home the side I fell on is aching a damn sight more than the other side.
I guess other members have suffered similar mishaps?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: I took a tumble today
« Reply #1 on: 21:41:48, 01/08/19 »
Commiserations. Took a bad double slip doing the Great Glen Way, causing me to pack it in. Taken a month to get going again without a lot of pain in my adductor muscle.
A friend slipped last week, also on a tree root, walking in Norfolk. Two days later a very swollen ankle was diagnosed as broken.
Too little, too late, too bad......

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:03:01, 01/08/19 »
Bad luck. Hope the aches ease soon. I turned to admire the view on the South Downs Way and twisted my ankle on a loose flint and ended up flat on the ground.  My ankle swelled up and I still had over two miles to hobble to the end as  there was no way the car could be brought nearer to me.

The only good point was I wasn't on my own so at least I had someone to drive the 100 miles home  Don't know what I would have done if I have been solo walking as a foot on the accelator for 2.5 hours would have been impossible.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 22:05:39, 01/08/19 »
Ouch. It could happen to any of us, you have my sympathy. GWS as they say!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:11:57, 01/08/19 »
Most of us who walk a lot have been there at one time or another.  All I can say is without my poles, I would have been there a lot more often. Take a decent whisky - it may not alleviate the pain but it will make the suffering worthwhile.
Solvitur Ambulando

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:15:21, 01/08/19 »
Ouch. It could happen to any of us,
It has happened to a lot of us lately!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:34:41, 01/08/19 »
Well practiced in the art of falling over.  Managed to wack my left knee on the climbing wall this evening too.  A flannel an a pack of frozen please still does the trick.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:01:28, 01/08/19 »
Happened once this year, once last year. Stumbled on a loose rock on the farm track that leads up to our house; a moment's inattention, and thumped my kneecap - slowed me down for a few weeks (I 'Nordic Walked' the Parkrun the following Saturday) but I seem to have recovered now.

Last year's was more embarrassing - I was on a very quiet minor road when a delivery truck appeared and slowed down so that the driver could ask me directions. Distracted, I put my foot into one of those little drainage channels that are dug to drain water off the road, and next thing I knew I was face down on the tarmac, trousers shredded, blood pouring from knee, right in front of the driver! Was still able to give him directions to the farm he wanted, even though I was 25 miles from home.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:03:08, 01/08/19 »
It has happened to a lot of us lately!

Seems that way  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:12:58, 02/08/19 »
It's usually on the easy sections when I'm not concentrating. My worst recent fall was when walking on a newly laid section of driveway, after heavy rain the limestone chippings just rolled away under my feet.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:27:54, 02/08/19 »
Happens to me all the time. Why is it though we never fall gracefully, I always go down like a sack of potatoes. My smelliest one was walking through cows with a steam in the field. I stepped to go down a bank, the earth gave way and I was into the stream, into all of the cow slurry as well. Boy did I smell!

I was lucky though, I walked into the next field (empty) here the stream water was clear, took all my clothes off, washed them and me, then waited until they were dry enough to wear again. No one was about so had a lazy afternoon.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:05:20, 02/08/19 »
So now we know who the naked rambler is. ;D ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:20:59, 02/08/19 »
It's usually on the easy sections when I'm not concentrating.

^agreed.

Usually at the end of a descent, relaxing because I think that the worst is over.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:28:18, 02/08/19 »
Yes, Jimbob, on that day I nearly was.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:22:41, 02/08/19 »
I've slipped and fallen on the wet grass before. Turned around and went back again as the rest of the route was of similar steepness.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy