Author Topic: Pennine way  (Read 10155 times)

The Squirrel

Re: Pennine way
« Reply #15 on: 14:43:27, 24/03/19 »
Trailblazer is about 3 years out of date and even the new version lists places that don't exist any longer and those that do exist it doesn't list. Many people think there is a campsite in Lothersdale and that closed approx. 4 years ago. from Hebden Bridge  the best is to go to the campsite in Cowling, squirrel wood campsite has bunk house, Lodges, pods as well as camping so you can book what ever you want. Then from there to Malham as its about half way between the two so a perfect stop. All B&B's in Cowling are now gone the last one closed in 2018 and this campsite is the last one before Gargrave approx. 10 miles ahead if going south to north or Ponden if going north to south roughly the same distance.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:10:20, 24/03/19 »
Not quite true, I used a camp site in Lothersdale in 2017
Where there's a will ...

mow1701

« Reply #17 on: 18:24:36, 27/04/19 »
My vote if for OS guidebook as got OS maps in conjunction with National Trails website for up to date information

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:30:46, 29/04/19 »
Camping is still available at the Bungalow, on the lawn, with shower in the static caravan. Past the har & Hounds but before the bridge turn left and walk up to the first bungalow.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:18:15, 29/04/19 »
Yep, Dale End I think, was the one I used in 2017  O0
Where there's a will ...

Florence Lamb

« Reply #20 on: 18:24:32, 29/04/19 »
Yes, definitely Dale End.  And the nice lady owner provides a cup of tea on arrival (well she always has when I have landed there.....1)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:19:31, 10/06/19 »
Rather than start another topic I thought i would tag on here. 2 of us are thinking of walking the Pennine way next year in one go. From what I have read allowing 3 weeks would be about right...is that correct?

We are considering backpacking and camping with perhaps a B & B every 4 days or so. We have both backpacked before and are strong walkers.
Has anyone done similar and what should we be aware of. Likely time May.

Thanks for any tips or warnings
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:40:50, 10/06/19 »
The last time I did it took me 19 days. I found it easy to find campsites, shops, pubs and wild camping places as well. The weather can be changeable, I've experienced both good and bad. I have also hiked it both ways, my personal preference is North to South, for two reasons, my son lives in Edinburgh and when finishing at Edale I can jump straight on a train to go south to where I live in Portsmouth. I bought the A to Z books to hike it, really good for the route, A5 sized so really easy to carry.

I remember certain sections which required a bit more from me, Kirk Yetholme to Byrness, Alston to Dufton and Cowden to Edale for instance, the wind and rain really knocked me about on those sections. The Hadrians Wall section I thought was a bit strenuous as well, lots of ups and downs but great if lucky with the weather.

I realised this year that if I ever want to do it and MORE (which I must admit for me now is most unlikely) and make it into a REAL he-man's effort and adding about 9 days to the route, I would start to hike at Edinburgh. Follow the route to Kirk Yetholme, via Peebles and Melrose by using the route laid out in www.walkhighlands.co.uk.

The other option which I've done. almost as long, is the Pennine Journey.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:54:03, 10/06/19 »
We are considering backpacking and camping with perhaps a B & B every 4 days or so. We have both backpacked before and are strong walkers.
Has anyone done similar and what should we be aware of. Likely time May.

Depends what you mean by 'strong walkers'.  I've done in twice, once when I was 60 and once at 65.  I consider myself a strong walker and I took 15 days.  Three weeks in my view would leave you sitting around for a long time, but then you might want that  :)
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:02:23, 10/06/19 »
“Strong walker”  ... I walk regularly twice a week... 11 or 12 miles on the hills and ridges of Dorset. Recently walked the Liberty Trail 33 miles in a day. I did 18 consecutive days along the GR10 a couple if years ago etc etc so I will definitely take on board your point about hanging about. So I will look at scheduling it for around 15 days.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 06:31:28, 11/06/19 »
If you want I'll PM you my itinerary, or read my blog http://penninewayat60.blogspot.com/
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:32:30, 11/06/19 »
Sussamb, Yes please to a copy of your itinerary. I will read your blog today as it’s raining hard and I am not tempted to venture further than the living room.

Florence Lamb

« Reply #27 on: 09:26:21, 11/06/19 »
I’ve completed PW several times. South to North and North to South. Camping isn’t really an issue just the weather is unpredictable. Personally not a lover of Tan Hill to Middleton leg and suggest you take road from Tan Hill just to avoid Sleightholme moor. Slightly longer but avoids a few miles of boring slog over the bog!  You can rejoin about 3 miles on.  16 days is ample unless you want a leisurely  trek. I love PW but not everyone’s cup of tea. Visit Aladdin’s Cave at May Stocks just north of Hebden Bridge. A great stock up place for walkers and free camping to Pennine wayfarers along with a great cup of tea! Enjoy. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:46:24, 11/06/19 »
Totally agree with you, the Tan Hill to Middleton section is the pits! The last time I chose to avoid it and walked the alternative route to Bowes, much better.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:54:59, 11/06/19 »
The more I read from you all  the more settled I am becoming in my mind that this walk is something I want to do.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy