Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295697 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1110 on: 17:27:09, 08/04/20 »

I have heard it said that there is a copyright trap in every sq. kilometre - I don't know about that 'cos I can't be evrywhere at once, but it would make sense for their business to be able to trace unlicensed use in every stiuation..?
We have already established you listen to too much fake news.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1111 on: 17:48:25, 08/04/20 »
The OS put PROWs where the Definitive Map says they are, even when they aren't really there at all.

Indeed - there is a right of way going over a cliff on the north side of Moel Hebog!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1112 on: 17:58:25, 08/04/20 »
We have already established you listen to too much fake news.
:2funny: :2funny:

Too little, too late, too bad......

lightweightmick

« Reply #1113 on: 22:24:48, 08/04/20 »

Indeed - there is a right of way going over a cliff on the north side of Moel Hebog!
But we get used to reading that... though not always a dashed line indicating a worn path, there's usually evidence on the ground (but not in Bretherdale ...)
Caution needed when following LDP's though - those green diamond shapes are likely to go anywhere...
Could OS be putting lives at risk though by marking things wrongly to suit their own ends..?

Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1114 on: 22:55:17, 08/04/20 »
Could OS be putting lives at risk though by marking things wrongly to suit their own ends..?
And what sinister plot are the Deep State putting the OS up to.  Don't tell me the OS are really lizard people.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rigel

« Reply #1115 on: 20:27:19, 10/04/20 »
https://www.adidas.co.uk/tech-parka/FI4659.html

Adidas Tech Parka. I bought this specifically for urban/local walks/staying dry without looking like a walker.  It has a two-way zip, two hand pockets, and  inside zipped pocket. And it's hard to tell I'm a walker than say  wearing my very outdoor No.3 jacket (Arc'teryx)

The Adidas Tech Parka is my No.2 waterproof.

lightweightmick

« Reply #1116 on: 00:37:48, 11/04/20 »

...without looking like a walker. 

Hmm, most interesting... I only became aware of 'outdoor identity' after reading Ronald Turnbull - he didn't want to be identified as an outdoor's sleeper by carrying a rolled-up sleep mat on the outside of his sack as I recall... something I've always been aware of since. Your post reminded of it... and I've been concsious of it ever since... even though I clearly now look more like a runner with a day sack.
The longer CF tentpoles could cause confusion I suspect though...
Q: btw, why would you not want to look like a walker..?
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

Rigel

« Reply #1117 on: 19:45:05, 13/04/20 »

If I rode a bicycle to work, I wouldn't wear the uniform associated with that either. It would seem that millions of people who ride a bicycle through necessity (don't own a car), don't  feel the need to be kitted-out in Lycra. And yet bicycle daily unhindered and  without complaint. It's usually cyclists who have other modes of transport available to them, but chose to bicycle to work are generally the first to wear Lycra.  If I were to bicycle anywhere, I'd likely just wear appropriate clothing, not go overboard and look like a complete nerk.

And it's pretty much the same with walking. The longer the walk, the more I'd probably look like a walker.  But on day walks, I will just have  appropriate footwear, a jacket (just in case) and that's it. And I've rarely set off on a day walk after a hearty breakfast. It's a day walk. I can survive without eating for a couple of hours.

To answer you question, "why would I not want to look like a walker?"  Think for a moment about a schoolboy on his first day of school, new shoes, new trousers, new blazer, packed lunch, pencil case loaded with unnecessary items that won't even be used until at least Year 10. And he gets to school to find everybody else has skirts rolled up, skinny school ties, make-up, and much cooler school shoes. Well, that kid is every Nouveau walker that turns up for a walk dressed head to toe in Gore-tex, and a backpack fit to burst with unnecessary items that are not required unless walking the GR10 or similar. I don't need the walker uniform on a short walk  to Catbells

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1118 on: 20:07:34, 13/04/20 »
I think you are just generalizing about people and offering us your personal opinion about cyclists and walkers so as I read it, yes, no, perhaps and maybe?

Rigel

« Reply #1119 on: 20:46:02, 13/04/20 »
I think you are just generalizing about people and offering us your personal opinion about cyclists and walkers so as I read it, yes, no, perhaps and maybe?

The bicycle ride to work in China. And the commute to work in London.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1120 on: 20:55:40, 13/04/20 »
Hmm I wonder what a 'walker' looks like?  Used to be red cagoule, Ron Hills, Red knee highs and Leather boots, or for the wannabe posh brigade ditch the Ron Hills for a pair of cordouroy or moleskin breechs. 

I see so many people wearing 'outdoor' kit now that I'm not so sure whether they are serious outdoor enthusiasts or just wannabes.  Take a walk through Keswick centre on any given sunday and try to spot the serious walker from the low level tourist, very difficult to do as all and sundry now seem to be wearing Rab, Arc'teryx, Montane, ME etc more as a fashion statement than anything else.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Rigel

« Reply #1121 on: 21:55:41, 13/04/20 »
It's not that I like generalising on public forums, but it would seem that the poseur wannabees you're talking about in Keswick (Rotterdam, or Anywhere, Liverpool or Rome),  look more like walkers than the Munro completist.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1122 on: 22:04:57, 13/04/20 »
Hmm I wonder what a 'walker' looks like?
An upright human propelling themselves forwards through a particular cadence of leg movements.

Rigel

« Reply #1123 on: 22:10:49, 13/04/20 »
An upright human propelling themselves forwards through a particular cadence of leg movements.

Touche!

Hadrian

« Reply #1124 on: 22:18:12, 13/04/20 »
I tend to dress like a member of an Ernest Shackleton expedition to avoid being labelled a “poseur wannabe”.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy