Author Topic: Saw this on the Great Outdoors mag today Re: Bothys  (Read 1407 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I saw this today. I had a scroll though and saw a photo of Greggs Hut which I have never seen in the dry. Whenever I've arrived its either been drizzle or raining!

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/inspiration-and-ideas/top-10-bothy-circuits/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Saw this on the Great Outdoors mag today Re: Bothys
« Reply #1 on: 19:05:59, 20/03/19 »
IMHO there are much better routes for Mosedale Cottgage (No7) than the Bannisdale Horseshoe which is a bit of a swine to do.  I would suggest starting at Wet Sleddale for a start - much better parking and  a great ridge route in via Wasdale Pike and Great Yarlside to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag with its view down into Long Sleddale and across to Kentmere Pike and Harter Fell.  Last time I signed in the book in the cottage there was a long list of complaints about the weather and from kids being scared in the night by sheep.  I commented that I had taken shelter out of the sun to eat my lunch as it was too hot!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:11:30, 20/03/19 »
I saw this today. I had a scroll though and saw a photo of Greggs Hut which I have never seen in the dry. Whenever I've arrived its either been drizzle or raining!

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/inspiration-and-ideas/top-10-bothy-circuits/

Me too, Cross Fell always been shrouded in cloud, hoping one day to see the amazing views that I'm told are available  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:28:12, 20/03/19 »

Me too, Cross Fell always been shrouded in cloud, hoping one day to see the amazing views that I'm told are available  O0

Here is something to whet your appetite:

Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:00:32, 20/03/19 »
Ah gee thanks  O0

Needed something to cheer me up having just heard the excuse we have as our PM addressing the nation blaming everyone but herself  >:(
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:54:45, 21/03/19 »

I must have been lucky then! A long walk up from Garrigill on a glorious sunny day, with snow on top.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 15:28:37, 21/03/19 »
When I visited the hut it was colder inside than it was outside.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:42:35, 21/03/19 »
IMHO there are much better routes for Mosedale Cottgage (No7) than the Bannisdale Horseshoe which is a bit of a swine to do.  I would suggest starting at Wet Sleddale for a start - much better parking and  a great ridge route in via Wasdale Pike and Great Yarlside to Grey Crag and Tarn Crag with its view down into Long Sleddale and across to Kentmere Pike and Harter Fell.  Last time I signed in the book in the cottage there was a long list of complaints about the weather and from kids being scared in the night by sheep.  I commented that I had taken shelter out of the sun to eat my lunch as it was too hot!

Reading this comment I realised how I've pretty much ignored most of the Shap Fells, and everything from pretty much Kentmere to Crookdale. Are there any fells or routes you rate in particular in this part of the world?  Seems a nice area to spend a long weekend with a tent, exploring the much quieter version of the Lakes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:29:44, 21/03/19 »
Brilliant, appreciated!:D  Must admit I do like Haweswater and the surrounding fells - fair enough there's a fraction of the usual 'amenities' you usually get around a Lake but it's more like going back in time.  As much as I like fells like Catbells, if it isn't extremely early it always feels like a procession !

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy