Author Topic: Walker Dies In The Highlands  (Read 2279 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Walker Dies In The Highlands
« on: 12:45:56, 09/06/19 »

A woman has died after being struck by lightning in the Highlands.
A group of seven walkers were on Na Gruagaichean, a mountain near Ben Nevis, on Saturday when the lightning struck, police said.

The party were all airlifted to Fort William but the 55-year-old died as a result of her injuries.
Another woman in the group who was also struck by lightning is in a stable condition in Belford Hospital, Fort William.

The next-of-kin of the woman who died have been informed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48571286

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Walker Dies In The Highlands
« Reply #1 on: 15:21:45, 09/06/19 »
Really unlucky.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:02:28, 09/06/19 »
You never know when your number up. Tragic.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:07:48, 09/06/19 »
I remember on my second PW attempt the clouds gathering as I reached High Cup Nick, and the thunder starting ... even though I was fairly tired I legged it down towards Dufton as fast as I could  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:08:10, 10/06/19 »
I remember two years ago on the GR64 in France being in my tent and experienced the worse thunder and lightning in my life. It only lasted for about 45 minutes but I was convinced it happened directly above me, the noise and the lighting were simulateous and was really scary! I could only lay there and could do nothing about it. Never want to go though that again!

Very sorry for the lady who died and for her family and friends.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:40:42, 10/06/19 »
Really unfortunate, this.  Was at the Ben on Saturday and it was indeed rough up there during the afternoon - lovely morning and clear sky but then quickly turned to torrential rain, thunder and lightning.  Saw these unfortunate people heli-evacuated out of the area and we all assumed it was the usual lower limb injury.  Sad to hear the news.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:11:20, 10/06/19 »
The only time Ive ever got too close to being struck by lightening, was way back in the 1980s, whilst decending the Cribyn to Fan Y Big ridge in the Beacons.
The humidity levels must have been off the scale, as i were perspiring heavily even when stationary, and i can remember being able to feel the electric static in the air.

You could hear the thunder rumbling all around, but thankfully the lightening was off in the direction of the Talybont direction,  but the entire atmosphere was charged with electricity.

As i was in in such an exposed location, i only hoped that the passing storm was not centralised right on top of me.

Its very unfortunate for those unlucky enough to be struck by lightening, as most of the time its impossible to escape a thunderstorm directly overhead.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:32:10, 10/06/19 »
I remember on my second PW attempt the clouds gathering as I reached High Cup Nick, and the thunder starting ... even though I was fairly tired I legged it down towards Dufton as fast as I could  O0
Probably the best choice in a bad situation.A high degree of luck does come into it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/06/27/how-lightning-kills-and-injures-victims/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.18f4e7cf2750
 Interesting article.Just click on "browse now,free trial" to read content.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:16:23, 10/06/19 »
Sad indeed.  Such a tragedy for her family and her companions.
Solvitur Ambulando

astaman

« Reply #9 on: 06:41:06, 11/06/19 »
Awful for her family and those with her at the time. I have friends who live and walk in Colorado and they are very wary of electric storms and get off high ridges and passes at the first sign of passing storms. Thankfully these incidents are comparatively rare in this country.

strawy

« Reply #10 on: 16:26:16, 11/06/19 »
So unlucky,we can all take care,but sometimes our beautiful planet shows its teeth,RIP.

Pitboot

« Reply #11 on: 17:03:50, 12/06/19 »
A tragic event on what should have been a joyous day out. But if your number's up.......

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:53:09, 13/06/19 »

I have told this story before on here. I was on the North York Moors and had a lightening strike right by me. My friend was walking about 50yds behind me, I looked around and he was lying on the floor, he had not been hit but either the shock of the event or the current through the wet ground had cause his muscles to convulse which threw him on his back.

I had two other very close encounters with lightening in Yosemite and the Colorado Rockies, both very scary and nothing much you can do in that situation.

Pitboot

« Reply #13 on: 09:40:45, 13/06/19 »
Nasty. I had a close call in Belize during the rainy season. I was walking across some PSP , that's pierced steel planking for non mil people, we parked our vehicles on it to prevent a quagmire developing.
I felt the hair all over me stand up then there was a loud crack and I turned to see a steaming hole in the metal about five metres away. It was about 25mm wide and still hot, I ran like **** to the concrete road and I don't think I stopped shaking all that day.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:48:02, 13/06/19 »

Walking in Bradgate Park, Leicester some years ago, we looked at each other and burst out laughing as our hair was all standing on end.
Then the storm broke.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy