Author Topic: Petition Against Criminalising Trespass  (Read 8713 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Petition Against Criminalising Trespass
« on: 20:20:22, 25/08/20 »

As you may no the Government intend to make Trespass into a criminal offence. Currently it is a civil offence, which is a very different thing.

If you feel this is a bad idea then there is a petition linked bellow where you can express your vote. I will say no more here it;s still a free country after all.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139

Dread

Re: Petition Against Criminalising Trespass
« Reply #1 on: 20:29:39, 25/08/20 »
Thanks BuzyG. Signed. Hopefully they will rethink this.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:42:05, 25/08/20 »
/signed
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 20:50:14, 25/08/20 »
I have mixed feelings about this. The intent is to speed up the removal of illegal encampments on public spaces in particular. Of course it could be used negatively by landowners against walkers who get lost.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:04, 25/08/20 »
I believe the intent of this legislation was to make it easier to prevent travellers setting up sites where they are not wanted, e.g. village greens, playing fields and car parks.  The probem is framing it without appearing "racist" so it has become more catch all than it was meant to be.
Edit:  You just beat me Apache.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:49:15, 25/08/20 »
I believe the intent of this legislation was to make it easier to prevent travellers setting up sites where they are not wanted, e.g. village greens, playing fields and car parks.  The probem is framing it without appearing "racist" so it has become more catch all than it was meant to be.
Edit:  You just beat me Apache.
I was fully aware of the way it has been set out. Whatever the intent the effect will be to make Trespass illegal for all of us.  Wondering off a RoW will be a criminal offence. If there are those of us who think it should be a criminal offence that's fair enough.

fatmanwalking

« Reply #6 on: 22:05:08, 25/08/20 »
thanks, signed.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:11:46, 25/08/20 »
 O0 O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:13:32, 25/08/20 »
I was fully aware of the way it has been set out. Whatever the intent the effect will be to make Trespass illegal for all of us.  Wondering off a RoW will be a criminal offence. If there are those of us who think it should be a criminal offence that's fair enough.
I appreciate that but whether it would work that way in reality is up for discussion.  Will straying off the ROW ever really be an issue?  You would need a member of the constabulary to catch you at it and decide that it was a deliberate act that merited an arrest rather or warning, rather than an honest mistake.  If walkers started to fall victim to the act in significant numbers it may bring into focus the state of the Definitive Map and the need for improved access to the countryside.  Indeed this petition might have been the catalyst for such a discussion if we were in slower news times.

I am more concerned that it could be used for other purposes rather the intended purpose of dealing with travellers or even for harassing hikers.  For example, people attending a peaceful demonstration anywhere other than on a public highway would be liable to arrest for trespass.  It is also a retrograde step in the progress towards an English version of the Scottish access laws.  It is for this reason that I would sign.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:14:20, 25/08/20 »
Signed.
 O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:54:15, 25/08/20 »
Has anyone read the “Government responded / read the full response” link underneath the petition?

Amongst other things, it says:

“Such measures would not affect ramblers, the right to roam or rights of way. Instead, measures could be applied in specific circumstances relating to trespass with intent to reside. ”

fatmanwalking

« Reply #11 on: 23:18:10, 25/08/20 »
Many people like to sneakily camp while out. I definitely hope to in the future. That's why I signed it just in case it made that even more difficult than it already is in the UK. Besides not a complete fan of eroding rights.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:50:12, 26/08/20 »
Signed. Don't understand why anyone who walks in the countryside wouldn't sign this.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Last Edit: 07:59:12, 26/08/20 by Apache »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:18:05, 26/08/20 »

As I said mixed feelings.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut, though. Unless the legislation is very carefully worded, it could impact upon those not looking to set up a semi permanent encampment.
If nothing else, a strong response to this petition will send a strong message to the government about the legitimate concerns of countryside users, and I urge everyone to sign on that basis alone.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy