Author Topic: What will you be planning?  (Read 3135 times)

Toxicbunny

Re: What will you be planning?
« Reply #30 on: 20:43:23, 28/04/20 »
Hopefully it is all back to as normal as normal can be. I've rebooted my holidays for September the Cairngorms and the Lakes.
I've never been to the Cairngorms yet.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:58:08, 28/04/20 »
Apart from that will continue my walks visiting all the known Neolithic sites up here.
Do you have brochs like Orkney or stone circles like we have in Aberdeenshire?

watershed

« Reply #32 on: 08:58:00, 29/04/20 »
Do you have brochs like Orkney or stone circles like we have in Aberdeenshire?
Massive amount of remains from the various ages, before Covoid, I was including heel shaped chambered burial cairns in walks.
like Orkney and I imagine Aberdeenshire, many sites were reused over the ages, so when you visit looking at one thing you discover other bits from other ages. eg at Fethaland you have n old haaf fishing station, from the 17th century, built on a prehistoric oval house, with evidence of a Viking long house, next to a Kleber rock face with various Viking and more modern carvings. The Iron age Brochs are probably the most famous there are around 80 of them and potentially remains of  more.
The most famous being the tallest one in the world at Mousa. Its walls are nest sites for stormy petrel birds. A favourite visit for birders at mid summer night.
There are standing stones and a few small stone circles.
Fantastic place to explore
Many sites on the internet on this.
https://www.shetland.org/about/history
https://www.archaeologyshetland.org/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:16:11, 29/04/20 »
Locally I intend to do a 3 night wild camping trip, on two of our Northmost Isles.

Sounds good! I've visited lots of wild corners on Yell and Unst, some through work, sometimes pleasure.

I have a particular soft spot for Unst, there is a special atmosphere about the place and I have many good memories -  dodging bonxies on Hermaness, searching for Edmonston's Chickweed on the Keen of Hamar, bonfire night at Baltasound (a wooden boat!), spotting an otter north of Sandwick, taking a dip at Norwick!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:18:16, 29/04/20 »
.. at Fethaland you have n old haaf fishing station, from the 17th century, built on a prehistoric oval house, with evidence of a Viking long house, next to a Kleber rock face with various Viking and more modern carvings.

I must have walked past a dozen times on my way to the lighthouse, and never knew that there was so much there!

watershed

« Reply #35 on: 09:46:25, 29/04/20 »
Sounds good! I've visited lots of wild corners on Yell and Unst, some through work, sometimes pleasure.

I have a particular soft spot for Unst, there is a special atmosphere about the place and I have many good memories -  dodging bonxies on Hermaness, searching for Edmonston's Chickweed on the Keen of Hamar, bonfire night at Baltasound (a wooden boat!), spotting an otter north of Sandwick, taking a dip at Norwick!

Unst is great.
I spent all school holidays there in the 60 and 70s as my Mother came from there and we went up to help with the croft jobs that off course the holidays were traditionally set for. Hairst etc

https://www.shetland.org/60n/blogs/posts/voar-in-shetland

When I walked its coast a couple of years ago I awakened to see 3 Otters playing in the water twenty metres from my tent at Snarra Voe, which is just a mile from the Broch at Hoga Ness,  one mile the other direction from the one at Snabrough and a further mile as the crow flies from the one at Underhoul.

If you are ever up, give me a call and I can take you to any of the sites that you might fancy. Its a bit like spotting Otters, once your eye is in its amazing what you find/see

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:55:17, 29/04/20 »
If you are ever up, give me a call and I can take you to any of the sites that you might fancy. Its a bit like spotting Otters, once your eye is in its amazing what you find/see

Thanks watershed, I'll bear that in mind  :)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:33:44, 29/04/20 »
I'm also going to meet up with some of you good people at the next forum meet in the Lakes.  :)

Somehow missed this topic - that is what I'd like to do too, even better if we can find a pub to sit outside at afterwards!

As for 'personal trips' I'd like to do, I've been wanting to do a few 'multi day' walks in Norway I've been putting off for a while, but stuff like the Cumbria Way and the Cape Wrath Trail are high on the list.

I've also been looking at The Cistercian Way (in your neck of the woods, Richard!) as I do like a bit of history mixed in with hiking - and fancy a trip to Cartmel Priory, somewhere I've been wanting to go for ages.
« Last Edit: 15:38:53, 29/04/20 by forgotmyoldpassword »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:28:16, 29/04/20 »
The pub bit sounds especially good - but we may have to wait a while for that yet.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:40:40, 02/05/20 »
I am researching small tents. We have a biggish one that the OH uses, but that needs a car or boat to carry it. Then there is the one the kids took to festivals, but that leaks, and is a bit revolting. I haven't camped in years, but it occurs to me that we might be let out a bit before places to stay open up. Not sure if I can still carry a tent, but lockdown seems to be making the idea more attractive.

Pitboot

« Reply #40 on: 15:37:10, 02/05/20 »

I've also been looking at The Cistercian Way (in your neck of the woods, Richard!) as I do like a bit of history mixed in with hiking - and fancy a trip to Cartmel Priory, somewhere I've been wanting to go for ages.

Make sure you avoid the area when Cartmel Races are on! The place gets hammered with people by day and the pubs are rammed by night.

taxino8

« Reply #41 on: 17:33:42, 02/05/20 »
As soon as travel is allowed I’m off to Borrowdale for a night or two on a fell.
Nothing specific, I just have the need to go there and feel free again.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 17:59:20, 02/05/20 »
I've been reading Bothy Tales and the author has been mentioning Faindouran and Corrour Bothies, and Braeriach - result is that I am hankering after a wild camp in the Cairngorms!

I can only dream right now.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 18:09:55, 02/05/20 »
Nothing specific, I just have the need to go there and feel free again.

Me too. With beefy and Squeaky of course.  :)
Hate will never win

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:26:51, 02/05/20 »
I've been reading Bothy Tales and the author has been mentioning Faindouran and Corrour Bothies, and Braeriach - result is that I am hankering after a wild camp in the Cairngorms!

I can only dream right now.

Me too, it's just such a lovely time of year right now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy