Author Topic: Jacket: insulated or down  (Read 2499 times)

nesty

Re: Jacket: insulated or down
« Reply #15 on: 00:39:02, 30/12/20 »
I know this comment maybe not help the OP question, but I like to purchase British, whenever I can. Sadly, in the UK buying outdoor clothing for the general public is limited, without paying a high end price. Though, sometimes I have no quibbles about that, as long as it's quality.
Many rave about ME stuff especially the Lhotse, but that's made in the far east.

I have just purchased a Cumulus Endurance down jacket, ok it's Polish, but I suppose they know a bit about cold weather!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:47:44, 30/12/20 »
I wonder what criteria would be used to decide if something is British or not? Is it also worth the effort involved?

Ronin83

« Reply #17 on: 10:35:37, 31/12/20 »
I'd go synthetic because we live in the land of the damp and rain and I know I'd get it wet at some point, but it depends how careful and particular you are (which if you've already burnt one...)
The montane ones are good, got the missus one and it feels really nice.

British made... Alpkit? Or is only some of their stuff made here?
I have to say though, and this will probably make me very unpopular, when I visited their shop in the peaks I was actually a bit underwhelmed.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:12:59, 31/12/20 »
Alpkit is generally solid kit but some of it is obviously rebranded imports.  Frankly though 'British companies' do not have to mean British made, as some equipment just isn't economical to make here and Chinese tooling has come forward leaps and bounds when it comes to fabrics. 

If you are buying jackets, pots and pans, basic stove etc Alpkit are great.  I met a guy in the fells who picked up about 1.5k worth of kit from them in one go for a winter mountaineering trip and he seemed fairly happy with them.  Not sure what you mean by 'underwhelmed', I walk into any outdoors shop and it's much of the same stuff - waterproofs, softshells, insulated jackets, piles of rucksacks and all the gubbins to fill them with.  The less I need the less I'm excited about going around gear shops, spend more time in the book section these days!

If you're on the fence a Cumulus Climashield is probably one of the better jackets, and Apex is a better material than Primaloft if you'd like it to be an active piece for winter use.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:56:32, 31/12/20 »
I find that the difficulty I have is trying to understand all of the synthetic insulation types that firms advertise, for example, Thermoball??? I remember when it came out loads of people were writing that it was going to make Down redundant, it now seems to have slipped in a product backwater??

I have a thin Aklpkit jacket but I wouldn't have the confidence to buy anything else yet, I've read loads of reviews about high and low priced items, and when I've bought them they have often proved to be second-rate anyway!

In my experience, my £250 waterproof vs. my £20 waterproof, my £60 Poncho vs. my £10 poncho, my £150 boots vs. my £65 boots, my £120 bivvy vs. my £50 bivvy. I'd like to think I'm wiser now but am I?

The other problem for me is when I'm hiking and camping I can become supersensitive to the 'quality' or not of an item, or find that I've bought someting that's great for 10 miles but proves to be a letdown after 100 miles!

Ronin83

« Reply #20 on: 14:19:23, 31/12/20 »
Alpkit is generally solid kit but some of it is obviously rebranded imports.  Frankly though 'British companies' do not have to mean British made, as some equipment just isn't economical to make here and Chinese tooling has come forward leaps and bounds when it comes to fabrics. 

If you are buying jackets, pots and pans, basic stove etc Alpkit are great.  I met a guy in the fells who picked up about 1.5k worth of kit from them in one go for a winter mountaineering trip and he seemed fairly happy with them.  Not sure what you mean by 'underwhelmed', I walk into any outdoors shop and it's much of the same stuff - waterproofs, softshells, insulated jackets, piles of rucksacks and all the gubbins to fill them with.  The less I need the less I'm excited about going around gear shops, spend more time in the book section these days!

If you're on the fence a Cumulus Climashield is probably one of the better jackets, and Apex is a better material than Primaloft if you'd like it to be an active piece for winter use.

Well it seemed like pretty basic stuff at quite high prices for what it was. I remember thinking it didn't seem any better than stuff for half the price, but I guess you don't really know until you try it.

Everything can be made in China, from the lowest to the highest quality, but where they let it down is with quality control. Every company who ships off the production to the far east has a drop in overall quality.

I've got the craghoppers compresslite insulated jacket and it's alright, but not that warm or anything special. Very cheap though. If I got a new one I'd go for montane.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:33:54, 01/01/21 »
I've read all of the entries with interest and I'm still of the opinion that a down jacket is for standing around and keeping warm and when the wearer is not sweating. A synthetic jacket is for when the wearer is on the move and is liable to sweat. But I believe for both to work well in colder weather my essential is to have my windproof jacket over the top.

nesty

« Reply #22 on: 19:56:20, 01/01/21 »

I like the look of the Climashield, I didn't see that one, before I made an order for the Incredilite, my Christmas spending was fairly minimal, until I re-visited here! ;D

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:04:07, 01/01/21 »

I like the look of the Climashield, I didn't see that one, before I made an order for the Incredilite, my Christmas spending was fairly minimal, until I re-visited here! ;D

please do a little review of the Incredilite - I'm very interested in that one

nesty

« Reply #24 on: 20:23:28, 01/01/21 »

Sure will do! It looks like I bagged the last one from rock n run for the price, £121 for 850 down seemed a decent price, I don't generally do puffers, but will let you know how it goes.

I purchased the Incredilite, not for walking as such, but more for when I am stationary / slow conditions, in cold weathers not generating the heat, such as football matches (when supporters allowed back), I found that my other jackets ok when moving (walking), but they not when I am stationery in cold weather.

It probably wont be here until the end of next week, but I'll let you know!
« Last Edit: 20:35:32, 01/01/21 by nesty »

nesty

« Reply #25 on: 16:40:47, 02/01/21 »

The Incredilite arrived today. Sadly, I will have to return it, a very athletic fit and I went a size up (I am a between L and XL), it feels like it right up under my armpits and I hate that feel with a jacket, everything else fits ok, sadly no other sizes available from rock and run for £121! :(

However, about the jacket itself, nice feel, very good quality and it's quite light, hasn't got the big puffer feel to it.

I am sad I have to return it, but I am fussy about comfort feel though, especially under the arms. 

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:48:41, 02/01/21 »
Oh what a shame. I know what you mean about jackets that are tight under the arms. I've had a jacket before like that and conned myself into thinking it was OK when it wasn't. Ended up getting rid of it later at some expense.

nesty

« Reply #27 on: 17:05:29, 02/01/21 »
Oh what a shame. I know what you mean about jackets that are tight under the arms. I've had a jacket before like that and conned myself into thinking it was OK when it wasn't. Ended up getting rid of it later at some expense.

Sadly, a common theme with me and jackets, it because I run a bit hot and tightness under the arms just exacerbates this. Also of the reviewers on Rock n Run site, said Incredilite is just too fitted. Cumulus have a Incredilite in Black, (I am sure the next size up will solve the issue), but it's £179 :( , but they do give a 5 year warranty.
« Last Edit: 17:38:44, 02/01/21 by nesty »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:40:07, 02/01/21 »
I have been looking at replacing my Alpkit synthetic 'warm' jacket but I end up getting stuck. The reviews that I read all seem to be based on the idea that I would wear a jacket and nothing over it, (unless perhaps it was raining) so they offer their 'recommendations' as to the best ones. In my case, I wear a windproof over mine (unless the weather is 'just right'') and of course by doing this the 'recommendations' do not take this into account, or none that I've seen.

Based on my experience I think I could buy a much cheaper warm synthetic jacket because I pair it with my windproof and I'm sure I could still get the same warmth level, (perhaps even better?) but it still comes down to the same problem, which one?

My hesitancy this time has been shaped by Alpkit. I bought two synthetic jackets from them, one was cheaper than the other (by about £30) but both had full zips and no hoods. From experience, the cheaper one was always miles better, which I still use, but the more expensive one always felt sweaty inside so I gave that one away.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:29:37, 02/01/21 »
The reviews that I read all seem to be based on the idea In my case, I wear a windproof over mine (unless the weather is 'just right'')

Why do you need a windproof over a jacket that is already windproof?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy