Author Topic: Taking a drone in the hills  (Read 7077 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Taking a drone in the hills
« Reply #45 on: 08:33:53, 30/03/19 »
I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with drones. Once on the Malvern Hills where it felt like I was being buzzed by the thing. There are also all the times when one was in use near me and I was completely unaware of it. Some people are just inconsiderate, they’ll manifest it using a drone, their phone etc.

What I do object to is the ‘I don’t need your consent to film you’ argument. Legally correct. By the same token if you’re sat down in a pub I don’t need your consent to f4rt in your face. Manners people, manners.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 16:03:08, 30/03/19 »
Just read through most of this thread. Some very interesting views on drones and especially trip reports, narcissistic eh.  :-\  I’ve honestly never thought of my trip reports as an extended selfy or any kind of self promotion. Yes I agree, they are a personal walking diary, that I hoped like minded readers might find interesting and informative, as I do reading others. After all, this is a WALKING FORUM. We share information about gear, news, photography etc. I just share my walks as others do. Reading them is optional, or just scroll through the photos, I don’t mind, I do waffle on a bit. But if you think they are boring, then have the ? To comment, and I’ll stop sharing with the forum  :)
It really has got me thinking.

As for drones, I don’t have a problem with them as long as they are well away from me.
I had a drone follow me up Catstye Cam, the guys operating it were on Helvellyn. I’m only guessing but I might have been used for some perspective and scale as I walked to it’s summit.
I wouldn’t expect these guys to climb down ‘Swirral Edge’ to ask permission.

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 17:13:21, 30/03/19 »
It really has got me thinking.
You don't want to start doing that.

Because 1 or 2 people don't care for trip reports doesn't mean that other people don't love them.

When I do reports they are written for myself and the 6 people on the forum who normally comment on them.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 17:27:22, 30/03/19 »
When I do reports they are written for myself and the 6 people on the forum who normally comment on them.

Funnily enough Mark, they are viewed by hundreds. Whether readers open the blog is another matter, but my latest post has 537 views. So I’m thinking some people are reading them, commenting or not. :-\

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the drone thread.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 17:49:16, 30/03/19 »
Just reading through the comments, have to admit a lot of disappointment over a certain post. Many of the walks that I have done, whether day walks or multi day walks I have done after reading a trip report e.g. the Pembrokeshire Coast Path and reading them, either on here or individual members blogs/websites makes me want to do some or at least gives advice about them. I do trip reports, not only hoping that something I write might encourage someone to do that walk but also to look back at in years to come when I wont be able to do the same kind of walks.

Members are free to choose what threads they want to read, the trip reports are pretty easy to pick out and avoid if you wish....just as certain threads started by certain members don't get read as we all know what they are going to be about...each to their own.

Meanwhile.....back on topic. I would like to take a drone with me for certain walks as I think the footage would add to any trip report/website/video but the cost, battery time and carrying it all day for maybe 10 minutes of footage puts me off.

Someone mentioned about wanting to video walks but didn't fancy carrying all the gear, well most people nowadays use the Gopro kind of sports camera which are tiny, fits in your pocket and weighs very little  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 20:13:38, 30/03/19 »
I like reading some trip reports, places I've been to and places I'm thinking of going. Sometimes read random trip reports out of curiosity what's out there. There's too many to read them all for me but having them there is good, people can search for the places and see them in the future as a reference.

As for narcissistic, I just took a test out of curiosity and it says I'm more narcissistic than most people  ;D  That must be cerebral as I'm well aware how pretty I'm not! I guess if you did it just for the praise or to show off it would be a bit narcissistic (and so what really) but who among us doesn't like praise? I might not post trip reports on here but I do stick my photos on Facebook for the likes. I think people also do it as a diary of their exploits and because it is useful to others not just for the praise.

Ninthace's traces have been more useful to me than trip reports but that's just me personally, I'm sure for some of the more visual and knowledgeable who trust themselves to follow route descriptions and know their oak trees from their beech trip reports are more useful. It's good the forum has both.

I've yet to see a drone out on a walk. I think at first it would be a curiosity. The noise would be annoying if everyone did it or maybe it wouldn't because then it would be normal. I know some people don't like them but if I had one I'd take it with me.
« Last Edit: 20:19:34, 30/03/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

hongkongphooey

« Reply #51 on: 02:04:03, 17/04/19 »
I watched a TV documentary last night about the drone sightings at Gatwick, unbelievable that the airport was shutdown for 36hrs and with all the attention there the drone operator was never identified!

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 12:32:54, 05/05/19 »
I remember New Years Day this year someone was flying a drone along the line of Stanage Edge - a lot of people were glaring at it as it was bugging them big time. It got to around where Stanage Plantation when something suddenly failed on it right opposite me and it dropped and smashed on the scrambling rocks below. The sounds of cheering from along the edge were hilarious. A guy eventually appeared with his mate and they discussed how 'Its done that three times now" - I nearly fell off my rock laughing

Saying that though, I've subscribed to three channels on YouTube where folks regularly take a drone into the lakes, and one into North Wales, and the video they capture is stunning.

I guess they're wonderful things as long as we don't have to see or hear them  O0

Oh and on the subject of people having cameras pointed at them - My favourite phrase for when people say they hope they're not having their picture taken is "Nah, I don't take photos of ugly 'uns"  ;D

R
« Last Edit: 12:37:26, 05/05/19 by Requiem »
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 23:32:09, 05/05/19 »
I remember New Years Day this year someone was flying a drone along the line of Stanage Edge - a lot of people were glaring at it as it was bugging them big time. It got to around where Stanage Plantation when something suddenly failed on it right opposite me and it dropped and smashed on the scrambling rocks below. The sounds of cheering from along the edge were hilarious.

I guess they're wonderful things as long as we don't have to see or hear them  O0

R
Indeed if they were completely silent.  They would be far less hated by folk lke my good self.  Every one would still laugh when one crashed though.  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy