Author Topic: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors  (Read 51856 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors
« on: 20:39:04, 12/12/17 »
See the following.  I see that Pavel is in again as well as Eoin Keith and Tom Hollins - last years 1st male.  I wonder if Pavel is "just" going for the win this year or to set a new record - or both.  Looks very competitive again!

https://thespinerace.com/rosters/

Carol Morgan, last years 1st female is also in again.  Good luck to all and great respect to all for taking up this challenge.
« Last Edit: 20:42:19, 12/12/17 by harland »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors
« Reply #1 on: 20:50:10, 12/12/17 »
No Dixie this year?

If I remember correctly, were the rules going to be amended for this year so that people would only be "supported" at the check points and nowhere else? I seem to remember the winner last year being supported so this should make things a bit more even. A few familiar names.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:59:22, 12/12/17 »
No supported racers this year, wonder how that will affect Tom Hollins?
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:40:15, 12/12/17 »
Lots of UK competitors as you would expect but 1 from Indonesia. He may be a random person that I choose to follow.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:56:46, 12/12/17 »
Lots of UK competitors as you would expect but 1 from Indonesia. He may be a random person that I choose to follow.

yes, shall the forum choose him as our "chosen one"?  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:33:01, 12/12/17 »
 Next years race might be the toughest since 2013.The long range forecast is for a very cold January.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:59:14, 15/12/17 »
It should be a very competitive race at the sharp end.
Tom Hollins, Pavel Paloncy, Eon Keith, Eugenie Rossell, Carol Morgan and Dragons Back & recent Cheviot Goat Ultra winner Jim Mann. I think Jim is going to take some beating. Another one to watch and previous Spine competitor and going even stronger this year is Offa's Dyke Ultra winner Greg Crowley, Tom Hollins came a few hours second.
I am race number 176 and just hoping to finish so I wont be seeing any of the above after the start.
Cold is good and preferable to wet, the worst is cold and wet.
There is already a short detour on Kinder Scout taking us more to the left (West) avoiding the more boggy area.
There is also likely to be more diversions avoiding very wet farmers fields (complaints this year) in certain places before Malham, especially approaching Gargrave.
Its certainly a different race compared to the early 3 years (2012, 2013, 2014) with intermediate CP's and cafes etc opening up for 3 days solid day and night especially for runners. I aim to try and avoid using them, going back to my similar tactics of 2014.
It is unsupported for everyone and how Ive always done it, however with the above there is extra 'official' support.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:22:23, 15/12/17 »
Good luck Dave.  I'm sure as before they'll be many here watching your progress with interest.  How the hell you guys manage it I don't know, I was pretty much wiped out having taken just over 14 days this year in relatively good weather  O0
Where there's a will ...

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:49:33, 15/12/17 »
Good luck Dave. Hope you stay injury free this year in the run up to the race.
« Last Edit: 09:33:29, 16/12/17 by lostme1 »
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:33:35, 15/12/17 »
 Good luck Dave.Are you the oldest git in the race? ;)

My money is on Eoin,provided he dosen't fall over again.He ran the entire length of Ireland last May in record breaking time,something like 300 miles in three days. :o

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:29:31, 17/12/17 »
Thanks for the best wishes. Training as such hasn't happened, in fact not done much at all this year. I had a failed attempt at a non stop Dales Way, but still managed 65 miles in 23 hours, a failed Offa's Dyke Ultra managing 70 miles in 25 hours then carried after a rest with a 38 miles in around 15 hours. A few 25 milers and many 4 and 5 milers. That spread over the last year, not done anything for a couple of weeks, been too busy with work and too knacked to train afterwards.
3/4 stone above my 'fighting' weight and failing at shedding any of it, so going to do the marathon last 7 days diet, that I used to do before road marathons and hopefully get rid of a few pounds.
Injuries have again gone from one to the other without any of them clearing completely, but I won't bore you with them and just hope for the best.
This is most likely going to be my last competitive event, but I will still continue to attempt my own non stoppers like I always have done.
Slowing down, I am, it has taken me a long time to accept that fact, but things are definitely becoming harder and harder as I try to continue being as active as possible.
Don't expect me to be anywhere other than near the back of the field, especially during the early miles of stage one. Hopefully I will be able to use my experience to work my way through. My target for CP1 will be sub 18 hours and if I get to CP2 Hawes inside of 55 hours after having some reasonable sleep, I will be going well. CP1 in more than 19 hours and CP2 Hawes outside of 56 hours and I will be struggling.
Unlike this year I won't be having around 6 pints of Guinness in the Ramblers followed by around 6 bottles of beer back at the YHA the night before, missing my alarm, waking up 15 minutes before the time I was picking the other Chorley lads up, to take them to the start. No time for foot preparation, absolutely dehydrated with a slight hangover! Talk about taking it seriously!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:53:33, 18/12/17 »
Good luck with it, Slogger, we will all be willing you on.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:58:17, 18/12/17 »
Good luck with it, Slogger, we will all be willing you on.
From our armchair - good luck. Don't push yourself too much - I know you won't take any notice!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:49:48, 18/12/17 »
Cheers!
tonyk, yes I am the oldest git again! Trying once more to set an all time over 70's FKT (Fastest Known {verified}Time) In fact as far as I am aware there has only ever been one other over 60's starter for the Winter Spine. That was in 2015, he was 64 years and did finish (with some assistance) however that race was officially put down as an exception, as due to strong winds, Pen Y Ghent, and Cross Fell were diverted around and the Holds at two CP's were that long it became a stage race  with everyone re-starting at the same time when released.
Another 71 year old started the Summer Spine Fusion but was tailed off that much he stopped around Thornton, before Gargrave.
Hopefully as years go by more over 60's will have a crack.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:33:25, 18/12/17 »
Good luck, we'll all be following you from the warmth of our sofas.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy