Author Topic: Contact lenses  (Read 1345 times)

Deolman

Contact lenses
« on: 08:09:21, 23/02/18 »
I have very poor eyesight and have had to endure wearing glasses for over fifty years. Like many others I find them a real nuisance during very inclement weather. Years ago I was informed that I could not have contact lenses because of the strength of my prescription. However during a recent eye test I was told that contact lenses have advanced over the years and it was now possible for me to wear them. My concern is that I need to be able to see distance as well as read maps. (I currently wear varifocals) The optician informed me that this was not a problem as they can make one lens suitable for distance and the other for reading. In his words he said "I know this sounds weird but it works"  I am a bit skeptical so my question is - has anyone had any experience of these, how good are they and most importantly would they be good enough for reading maps as well as being able to see where I am walking.

Pura Vida

Re: Contact lenses
« Reply #1 on: 12:30:30, 23/02/18 »
I have trialled a test pair as you describe. I know that it works for some but it didnt for me - especially driving.  I found that i was struggling to judge speed and distance of other vehicles at junctions. Good luck
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:41:50, 23/02/18 »
Funny you should bring that topic up today, as I was at the opticians yesterday and am now having a trial for monthly multifocal soft contact lenses, having used the ones you are probably describing for the past 3 or 4 years!  :)
I have worn gas permeable lenses for about 40 years, am now 58. Originally they were just for distance but as happens when you get older I noticed I was having problems reading and started off wearing a pair of cheap supermarket reading glasses with my contact lenses.  I then switched to having one lens for distance and one for reading ( they work out your dominant eye and I believe that has the distance lens. ). They are ok and I wouldn’t say I have ever got completely used to them, but I have never really worn glasses for any length of time.  I find that if my eyes are a bit tired I am wanting to read with the one eye and often if I go to the cinema/theatre I will either wear my glasses or put a spare distance lens in that I have.
However with regards to walking they have always been great.  I can read maps and see where I am going and all the views! And I’ve done many long distance walks in them!  Sometimes in really heavy rain I’ve worried that they will come out but they never have! (While my hubby complains he can’t see cos of the rain).
Maybe worth a trial if you can have one.  I think a lot may depend on how bad your eyes are each way, ie. the stronger you have to go with each lens the harder the multivision is to get.  Happy for you to PM me.  Will let ypu know how I am getting on with these lenses,  they will be a lot more expensive I know.

Deolman

« Reply #3 on: 16:50:31, 23/02/18 »
Funny you should bring that topic up today, as I was at the opticians yesterday and am now having a trial for monthly multifocal soft contact lenses, having used the ones you are probably describing for the past 3 or 4 years!  :)

Thanks for the replies.  What is the price difference between multifocal and the ones I described, I will have to discuss them with my optician.  My intention really is to just use them when I am out walking - after 50 years I think I have just about got used to glasses!  Did you have any problems with driving as described by Pura Vida?

steve2

« Reply #4 on: 19:04:08, 23/02/18 »
I have used contacts like this for around 10 years it works very well. I have no real problems with them driving is perfectly ok ( i drive hgvs  and there is no concern from dvla) I have no issues reading and distance is not a concern

Moorview

« Reply #5 on: 08:17:40, 24/02/18 »
I have had hard contacts for over 40 years.Now have to wear reading glasses to see books and maps but no real hardship.Would love to move to the new contacts lens but my optician (who I have been with for 30years) says not a good idea as my eyes have deformed to fit the shape of my eyes.
This sounds a good idea but my dominant eye can change during the day as imy eyes tire.

Good luck if you go that way but contacts are great and make walking in bad weather far easier.

Deerplay

« Reply #6 on: 23:43:47, 26/02/18 »
I was in a similar position of not being considered suitable for contacts for many years. However a few years ago aged 55 I was offered a free trial by Specsavers c/o advances in contact lens technology and never looked back (excuse the pun) I have monthlies and have one lens adjusted for reading. It suits me and is a lot better than walking in glasses. Have no trouble driving, or reading. I didn't take up Specsavers offer of a contract at the end of the trial, just got a copy of the prescription, and looked around for an alternate supplier on the internet. I now get a years supply of contacts for under £100 from Sweden, buy lens cleaning solution from Asda and get free check ups and eye tests via whoever is offering free eye tests at the moment. Last few have been with Vision Express. It's worth remembering that you have a right to a copy of your prescription whether you buy anything from the optician or not so you don't have to accept their prices.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

Deolman

« Reply #7 on: 00:30:16, 27/02/18 »
Many thanks for all your replies to my post. As these have all been positive (except for one) seems I may have to speak a bit more with my optician. I am aware of entitlement to my prescription but this is not a problem as my optician automatically gives you one after each eye test.

Chris954

« Reply #8 on: 16:56:32, 27/02/18 »
another alternative is to wear contact lenses and have a pair of reading glasses that you can use while wearing the contacts. I wear contacts during winter and carry a pair of ready readers I bought from the pound shop for map reading.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:33:40, 03/03/18 »

Thanks for the replies.  What is the price difference between multifocal and the ones I described, I will have to discuss them with my optician.  My intention really is to just use them when I am out walking - after 50 years I think I have just about got used to glasses!  Did you have any problems with driving as described by Pura Vida?

The price quoted for monthly soft lenses is £19 + £4 per month for solution (Boots). Daily ones will be more expensive. Gas permeable ones, I need one replacement if I carry on with them and they quoted me £30 but thats with a discount (I think 40% but not sure) on their care scheme which includes all checkups. Plus the solutions. My lenses tend to last 2-3 years, but of course depends if you need a new prescription or lose one! So gas permeable much cheaper.   Haven’t really got on well with the trial of monthlies, finding them harder to put in and the close vision is not great. So bearing in mind the cost am probably sticking with what I’ve got. Maybe I’m too old to change now! Driving is ok, but easier with glasses at night.

Deolman

« Reply #10 on: 17:40:46, 03/03/18 »

The price quoted for monthly soft lenses is £19 + £4 per month for solution (Boots). Daily ones will be more expensive. Gas permeable ones, I need one replacement if I carry on with them and they quoted me £30 but thats with a discount (I think 40% but not sure) on their care scheme which includes all checkups. Plus the solutions. My lenses tend to last 2-3 years, but of course depends if you need a new prescription or lose one! So gas permeable much cheaper.   Haven’t really got on well with the trial of monthlies, finding them harder to put in and the close vision is not great. So bearing in mind the cost am probably sticking with what I’ve got. Maybe I’m too old to change now! Driving is ok, but easier with glasses at night.

Thanks for the information. If I do decide to give them a try I will shop around.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy