Author Topic: What to do after Ben Nevis?  (Read 8602 times)

ac.turner

What to do after Ben Nevis?
« on: 19:56:47, 26/04/11 »
Hi

What is the next biggest and nearest Mountain after Ben Nevis?

'It is what it is' Aaron :)

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
Walk

WelshNeil

Re: What to do after Ben Nevis?
« Reply #2 on: 20:11:04, 26/04/11 »
Ben Nevis is the highest is the UK. You could head over to N.Wales to Snowdon or down south slightly to Scarfell Pike.

Ben Nevis is 1344meters. The next highest i know of is Kerling in Iceland which stands at 1500 plus meters.

Or you could just quit peakbagging and enjoy the land and views  O0 Arguably Snowdon and its surrounding peaks is the most beautiful place for a weekend of hill walking and being at one with outdoors.
You can take with you all the gear money can buy, but what's the point if you don't take a camera?

Photographs = Memories

ac.turner

« Reply #3 on: 20:30:37, 26/04/11 »
Hi Neil, how was ur Snowdon trip the other week? Good weather?

WelshNeil

« Reply #4 on: 20:37:24, 26/04/11 »
Have a read here

You'll read that i didn't get to finish it due to one of my guests having an injured knee. So i turned back with him, got him backto where we were staying and then clmbed snowdon via Llanberis (the tourist route) but the weather was amazing. Even better on the sunday for the drive back to cardiff.

When did you do Ben Nevis?
You can take with you all the gear money can buy, but what's the point if you don't take a camera?

Photographs = Memories

ac.turner

« Reply #5 on: 20:44:39, 26/04/11 »
I will have a look. Yea I walked the 'tourist route' on Sunday. Was great, came back down the Pyg Track.

I haven't walked Ben Nevis yet. Going to Scafell pike and Ben Nevis in the summer. Just bought a flat that needs work doing on it, but will hopefully fit some walks in when I can. :)

WelshNeil

« Reply #6 on: 20:50:22, 26/04/11 »
Snowdon via Llanberis is a tough climb with little to see. I found that most of the time i was just looking at the ground. I'll be going again in May to do the route i should have done that weekend. If your free it'd be great. No specfic date arranged yet other than it's going to be in may.

Also, Ben nevis is a peak i'm looking forward too so if you have any plans, let me know.

How was the weather for you on Snowdon, and how did you find the walk? Tough on the calfs?

Photographs = Memories

ac.turner

« Reply #7 on: 20:56:25, 26/04/11 »
I felt the same, alot of looking at the floor. Still some great views for me tho as its only my third walk I think. I have walked Pen-y-Fan and Fan-y-Big then Snowdon. the views were definatly better on The Pyg Track on the way back. The Pyg track was hard on the legs on the way down. The next day my back hurt alot more than my legs...any ideas? Wrong backpack? Maybe its normal.

WelshNeil

« Reply #8 on: 21:34:51, 26/04/11 »
Bad back could be due to many things. I'm no doctor so the following is just advice from experience.

Walking down to fast:
The walk down is not areobic and so people tend to go faster, also its the retun journey its the 'end of the day' and so despite looking forward to the walk for weeks before, once you have been out for 5-6hrs, you begin to look forward to getting back to your car / B&B which speeds up the pace.

Back pack:
All my packs have sternum straps on them. i think is the most important support on a ruck sack and it aids the shoulder straps. A waist belt is great too. Every strap should be pulled tight so that the pack doesnt move. But not so tight that the straps are cutting into you. If your pack is bouncing around on your back, it likely to cause you back pain and lower back blisters.

Back pack content:
Without going into a full list of what you should and shouldnt take out with you on a walk, i'll simply say that many 'new' walkers always take too much JUST IN CASE. This being a big problem because you have to carry the stuff on your back all day. Did you walk down with more than half the amount of food you took? How much (in litres) fluids did you take up? Of that how much did you bring down?
Did you check the weather forecast see that it was going to be a wonderful day and still pack mid layers?
List all the things you packed because you thought it was a good idea but didnt actually use...

In short, my advice would be to slow it down on the way down, be smart with your packing and food and finally, make sure your pack is securly on your back.

If you still get problems, seek more advice and/or consult your doc.

For me, i find my shins can hurt on the way down. Ive slowed it down and it hurts less but there is defo a problem there. My father has arthritus so i really should go to the doc but i'm scared he'll tell me to stop waking.

The pyg track is great, but i havent walked down it myself. 2011 is my Snowdonia year. In August i'll be renting a house down there for 10 days. A complete waste of money as i wont spend much time in the house.

Photographs = Memories

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:58:14, 26/04/11 »
http://www.walkz.com/mtsctmun.htm

..and it's here

>:( Boo to walkz.com >:(  A list of the Munros that makes to mention of the fact that they're over 3000ft. Call me a fossil, but I dislike the shameless metrification of our mountains. Sir Hugh would be spinning in his grave.

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:15:23, 26/04/11 »

>:( Boo to walkz.com >:(  A list of the Munros that makes to mention of the fact that they're over 3000ft. Call me a fossil, but I dislike the shameless metrification of our mountains. Sir Hugh would be spinning in his grave.

Ok "You're a Fossil"  8)  I think you'll find that (Unlike Amurica) we are metric in the UK.  I still remember and can work in £.s.d and Lbs oz and Fahrenheit, but have embraced Decimals.  Just wish they'd had them when I was at school  ::)  240 pence in a £, whose idea was that anyway ( I wait with bated breath, or baited breath for any fishermen)

I'm also glad we have novocaine for fillings to  O0
Walk

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: 23:16:21, 26/04/11 »
Hi

What is the next biggest and nearest Mountain after Ben Nevis?

Carn Mor Dearg at 4003 ft is right next to it along with Aonach Mor at 4006 ft and then Aonach Beag at 4046 ft
« Last Edit: 00:03:40, 27/04/11 by old climber »
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

WelshNeil

« Reply #12 on: 23:56:20, 26/04/11 »

Carn Mor Dearg at 4003 meters is right next to it along with Aonach Mor at 4006 meters and then Aonach Beag at 4046 meters
You mean ft (feet) right?

Photographs = Memories

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: 00:03:15, 27/04/11 »
You mean ft (feet) right?

Yeah I do sorry I got carried away

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: 00:05:27, 27/04/11 »
Amended Uncle grumpy mentioned his dislike of metric heights earlier so I intentionally used the feet and wrote meters instead. Cheers  ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy