Author Topic: Pre-walk Eating Habits  (Read 7886 times)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
Pre-walk Eating Habits
« on: 13:53:43, 01/11/11 »
I was talking to my friend today who is fitness instructor, he says that before any strenuous exercise you need to feed your body with the correct food possibly weeks before you go ahead with what you doing, that along with the correct stretching exercises to prepare your muscles for the assault. 

What foods do you eat before a walk?
What if any pre-exercises do you do?
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Pre-walk Eating Habits
« Reply #1 on: 14:01:23, 01/11/11 »
Nothing and None.  I'm not good at eating early in the morning, and don't usually realise I'm starving until about half an hour into the walk. :-\

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:23, 01/11/11 »
I will generally try and consume 6-8 cans of Stella Artois about 10 hours or so before.
About 2 hours before, I have a hash brown sandwich with plenty of HP sauce.

As far as stretching, buying the diesel to get to Snowdonia and back is always a stretch.

I hope this helps.
solvitur ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:07:38, 01/11/11 »
If I'm walking from home then my usual cereal and coffee, if I'm staying somewhere then full English.

I don't do any pre-exercise and on the radio recently they were saying that 'warming up' has been proved to make no difference to performance or injury in all but the most 'explosive' of sports (sprints etc.)

WelshNeil

« Reply #4 on: 14:30:09, 01/11/11 »
A healthy diet is important but you do tend to miss the good things such as full fat coke and the occasional Mars(r) bar. Which i can enjoy every once in a while on a walk or after a long hard run.

You can take with you all the gear money can buy, but what's the point if you don't take a camera?

Photographs = Memories

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:31:39, 01/11/11 »
nothing special for me - cereal & coffee for breakfast and maybe a banana & juice while driving or just prior to walking.

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:03:30, 01/11/11 »
If I'm going out for a long day I'll usually go for something which is low GI like porridge which should keep you fueled and feeling full for longer...

BUT, I've also gone for some long walks fueled by a couple of chunky KitKat's* bought from the garage along with some petrol whilst getting to the start point...

To be honest, unless you are really really pushing yourself / a top quality athlete I doubt you will notice much difference from one food to the next. Eat what you enjoy and don't worry about it too much would be my advice. Have some spare food in the rucksack just in case!

*Other chocolate based snacks are available.
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:44:36, 01/11/11 »
Porridge or muesli and maybe a bacon and egg roll.  If camping deffo porridge and maybe a bacon and egg roll. 

It is as important to keep eating as you go though and to take on plenty of liquids if it's going to be a long day.  I tend to take trail mix, flapjack and chocolate.

nvl35

« Reply #8 on: 17:12:49, 01/11/11 »
I will generally try and consume 6-8 cans of Stella Artois about 10 hours or so before.

As far as stretching, buying the diesel to get to Snowdonia and back is always a stretch.

I hope this helps.
That just brightened my day and made me laugh.

Thing is it's true and you still walk like a man possessed. Fast that is not with your head spinning round shouting obsenities and spitting out green stuff ala the excorcist
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:23:28, 01/11/11 »

I hope this helps.

Found this hilarious! i'm crying with laughter.  ;D ;D
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:26:23, 01/11/11 »
Back to the post--I tend to do abit of excercise (stretching etc) b4 i get out of bed  ;)
Then it's cereal and coffee before a walk.  :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:49:02, 01/11/11 »
Those who don't stretch, don't you get aches and pains in your legs?

Catbells, a truly lovely walk

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:55:35, 01/11/11 »
Diet is the same whether I'm out exercising or not - Haribo and a couple of grams of speed.  ;D

Never bother stretching either, even before a 12 mile run. Stretching's for gaylords.

OK, might have a pasta dish the night before a big walk, but that's about it really.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:58:18, 01/11/11 »
Oi, take it seriously.
solvitur ambulando

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:03:44, 01/11/11 »
OK grandad. I'll tell the truth. No one will think I'm cool now  >:(

"Diet is the same whether I'm out exercising or not - Haribo and Jaffa cakes

Never bother stretching either, even before a 12 mile run. Stretching's for gaylords.

OK, might have a pasta dish the night before a big walk, but that's about it really."

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy