Author Topic: What do you carry on the outside of your rucksack?  (Read 3115 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you carry on the outside of your rucksack?
« Reply #15 on: 15:40:54, 14/03/20 »
Nothing on the outside of the 'bag', if it doesn't fit in, it doesn't go.

Right hand shoulder strap is my PLB
Chest strap has a Whistle that can be reached by mouth whilst wearing the rucksack
Left hand side of Waist belt is my GPS SatMap in its case.

zuludog

« Reply #16 on: 15:43:53, 14/03/20 »
How much do I carry on the outside of my rucsac? -- not much if I can help it

It will depend on the rucsac I use; the tent I use; how much gear I need to carry, which in turn will depend on the time of the year; tent poles, and walking pole
So, as far as possible, nothing on the outside, but there may be a tent or a sleeping mat or a pole

That's for now. At one time there may well have been an ice - axe & crampons, but I'm far too fat & old fpr that sort of thing now

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:54:08, 14/03/20 »
As there is no waist belt pouch or external pockets on the Deuter Guide 35+ I only carry my walking poles, GPS and (more recently), SPOT tracker on the outside of my bag.  The poles through the dedicated pole loops, the GPS clipped to one of the gear loops on the waist belt, whilst the Spot tracker is clipped to one of the accessory loops on the back of the pack.  On the other gear loop on the waist belt is a spare Karibiner which I normally use to clip my gloves to when my hands get too warm.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:03:09, 14/03/20 »
I have a water bottle in one side mesh pocket and poles in the other then a small dry-sack attached to the waist belt which can, if the weather deteriorates badly, take phone, wallet and camera. Though thinking about it I no longer carry a camera as the one on my phone is good enough for me and my phone and wallet are always in my trouser pockets and they are under my waterproof trousers if it is raining. So it appears that I carry a small empty dry-sack attached to my rucksack waist belt for no reason whatsoever.

lightweightmick

« Reply #19 on: 16:51:05, 14/03/20 »
Just working on sack packing layout now...  O0

In the past I have attatched a Ridgerest folded flat on the outside, but those days are gone as my ground insulation is not now not much bigger than a banana! ...'twould be even less if I could get on with the Balloon Bed!

As my current sack has mesh pockets either side - hoping flask will fit one side, but the down bag expanding from the inside will make OTMA problematic by the looks of it...
The other side would be good for the new carbon tent pole set which can be made to specified section length - 433mm being standard supply length - way too long though with such a small sack - 300mm looking more feasible.

The pockets of course are designed more for waterproofs etc., but the flask would be better on outside for obvious reasons, but it's a tight fit and the mesh is easily damaged through tight stiles.
Other than that phone/gps/camera in pouch on waist strap and SPOT(if used) on shoulder strap.

I may also opt for a small Gelert sit mat strapped to bottom of sack(it came free with TGO years ago) - good for the 'foot stops' and extra ground insulation for the hips.

The climbing tradition of having nothing on the outside other than ice axe is more down to sack hauling and tight gully work. When backpacking/fastpacking on lower trails it's not so important really surely? Who cares if you want to dangle your mug for the world to see..?
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:59:09, 14/03/20 »
So it appears that I carry a small empty dry-sack attached to my rucksack waist belt for no reason whatsoever.

;D
Where there's a will ...

Yorci

« Reply #21 on: 17:39:16, 14/03/20 »
I usually carry a couple of drinks in the outside mesh pockets, and my camera, and more recently trek poles. In winter I'll have my ice axe and crampons.

Other than that, the only thing that I am likely to strap to the outside, is if I get caught short and have a number 2 in the wilds, which I catch in a couple of sealed freeze bags, then inside a carrier bag to conceal the contents. I've never had any leaks, yet - but don't fancy chancing it inside my bag - it could bring a whole new meaning to getting bogged down ???
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:42:35, 14/03/20 »
These days packs and outdoor clothing seems to have loads of pockets so it's hardly needed to have much hanging off.  For me I've got a Silva mini compass/thermometer attached with a mini carabiner to the left strap, pacing beads attached to the right strap and stuffed in a little pocket which appears to be intended for absolutely tiny phones.

Might sling a water bottle on the outside of it's easy terrain just for easy access but it lives inside in winter, if it's hot weather or I'm pushing myself I'll put a bottle of lucozade in the other side when I need a glucose hit.  When I'm not carrying that I stuff a pair of warm gloves down the side so I can warm my hands up without having to take the pack off and [censored] about with stuff sacks inside (I have raynaud's).

I've found I use the 'front pouch' a lot more than I expected I would on my Osprey pack, it is intended for helmets but fits a snow shovel decently well, good place to stuff a waterproof when it's that constant on/off kind of rain/fine 10 minutes later sort of weather.  Main compass and whistle live in the chest pocket of whatever top I'm wearing for most of the day.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:52:11, 14/03/20 »
So it appears that I carry a small empty dry-sack attached to my rucksack waist belt for no reason whatsoever.

;D
The worse thing, sussamb, is that I only realised the truth as I was typing. It just goes to show that we, or at least I, should review our kit regularly.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:45:56, 14/03/20 »
30L  daysack:
Nothing on the outside at all.

70L backpack:
Waterproof jacket folded in half and placed under the top flap, and overtrousers rolled up and held by webbing straps on top of the top flap, so that I can get at them quickly if rain starts.
Aquapac stormproof camera pouch threaded onto hip belt, with phone in it too.
A folded Aqua-Quest The Trail map case hanging from a karabiner at the bottom of the opposite shoulder strap.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:42:30, 15/03/20 »
I'm one of those who wants as much as possible inside the rucksack where it is safe, dry, quiet, and not going to snag or shift and throw off my balance. Even seeing someone with a rollmat on the outside gives me a twitch! Let alone people with important things like water bottles on the outside. My favoured daysack doesn't even have exterior pockets or a lid.

So, what do I have on the outside of my rucksack? The only thing I'll always have on the outside is a watch, strapped to the strap at my chest. I hate wearing watches, especially with gloves, but look at the time frequently. When doing nav that involves timing, I'll use its stopwatch function, pausing it whenever I stop moving.
If I feel the need to carry them, and aren't actually using them, I might have sticks, axes, shovel and/or skis on the outside.
When scrambling, I might clip some gear to the gear loops on my rucksack shoulder straps as well as on my harness.

Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:14:37, 15/03/20 »
Thank you I enjoyed all of that. I used to have a fob watch attached to one of my shoulder pads but I broke it and didn't replace it. Something that I must do again because I never wear a watch so I now keep looking at my phone to check.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:31:23, 15/03/20 »
When I retired I put my watch down and did not pick it up again for nearly 4 years.  I wear one now because I am back in a culture where time matters a bit more.  The face is a solar cell and it regulates itself against the atomic clock signal from the NPL transmitter in Cumbria everyday so I know it is always right.  If I am not wearing my watch I don't care about the time but if my watch is on it has to be right!
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:17:24, 15/03/20 »
GPS on one shoulder strap and camera on the other. Both readily available without taking off my rucksack
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:58:00, 15/03/20 »
I have an omm chest pouch into which goes my VR phone, garmin satnav, paper maps, and some snack bar. Water, two bottles, in side pockets. Sticks if necessary in their designated places. Solar charger on top of bag when in use. Keys, cash cards, and proper phone plus charger in bumbag plus a couple of packets of fruit gums., or toffees.
« Last Edit: 12:22:44, 16/03/20 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy