Author Topic: TR Fairfield horseshoe  (Read 812 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR Fairfield horseshoe
« on: 13:38:58, 23/07/19 »
We started this walk at the bus stop/gate house just to the north of Scandale bridge on the A591
Heading up the drive past the gate house we then cut right on the track up through fields. This eventually, through a series of twists and turns, leaves you on one side of a wall while an actual right of way is on the other side. We rectified this situation.

The day was quite overcast as we looked back down to Ambleside

We stuck to the wall which runs on the crest of the ridge as we made the long slog, and sometimes scramble, to the first summit of the day.
Low Fell is a mere pimple on the path and such an anti-climax that we almost missed it. The only reason I can think that Wainwright included it in his guides is that it looks slightly more impressive from below.

High Pike, in the background of the photo above, is more impressive. We continued on over Dove Crag and Heart Crag to have lunch in the shelter on top of Fairfield.
We walked to the edge of the plateau to check that all was well further north.

By now the cloud was thinning and we should have applied sunscreen.

Looking down the valley to Ambleside and Windermere

Coming back down the horseshoe now, though there still felt like a fair number of ups. Over Great Rigg first, I think that is Easedale Tarn nestleing in the fold of the fells to our west.

The view back up to Fairfield from Heron Pike. The weather now lovely we were please to have had the ascent under cloud as it was getting really warm and some people who were coming up looked like they were finding it hard work

One more top to knock off, Nab Scar

And then the down, down, knee knackeringly down towards Rydal.

Grasmere on the descent

The cottage we were staying in is on the coffin route so we then turned along it and the long, shady walk back towards Grasmere.
It was only now that we realised that we were looking a bit pink after an afternoon in the sun.

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Fairfield horseshoe
« Reply #1 on: 17:30:50, 23/07/19 »
Lovely photos and I'm pleased you did the horseshoe the right way round  :D
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:40:45, 23/07/19 »

Seconded - always that way round  ;D

That descent is steep isn't it?  Looks a cracking day out with your son. I tried the Fairfield Horseshoe with my elder daughter one very cold November day a few years ago, and she sank up to her thighs in one of the bogs round Low Pike, when the temp was around -7, so we had to abandon.  Last time I took her out in the snow.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:10:43, 23/07/19 »

Great pics again Ridge O0  So glad you got the weather ;)

That's fighting talk >:(
First we are plagued with summit slugs, snails and  limpets and now we have wrong way wazzocks :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:19:04, 23/07/19 »
Ha! Wazzock.  Now there's a saying I've not heard in a while  :D

More great pics and write up Ridge.  Your son really does look like you.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:56:05, 23/07/19 »
That's fighting talk >:(
First we are plagued with summit slugs, snails and  limpets and now we have wrong way wazzocks :D

;D You know I'm right  ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:42:18, 24/07/19 »
Thanks for all the comments, it was a lovely day.

At the risk of upsetting everyone. I'd only done clockwise before so did anticlockwise this time because April told me to, I think it is a cracking walk in either direction and I'm not sure which way round I prefer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy