Author Topic: Why are shoes/boots not human foot shaped?  (Read 5383 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Why are shoes/boots not human foot shaped?
« Reply #15 on: 11:27:18, 04/07/18 »
Altberg are certainly a gem.
The more I learn about them the more I want a pair. I have got defenders which imI selling as my feet have grown and whilst they were weather proof for working outside all of that terrible winter we had(a real feat), they always slipped a lot in the heel, not good for walking purposes).

I will one day go there.
Kinky boots have you been?

Not been to the Altberg factory but have been to Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/ who are an Altberg Premier Retailer for various things (including having some second hand Fremington boots I bought steamed and stretched) I and cannot recommend their boot fitting service highly enough. The boot fitters working at Whalley Warm & Dry were trained by the Altberg factory staff.

I suppose both places are reasonably handy if you ever get up to the Yorkshire Dales or Lake District.

Once you've taken the time and trouble to get properly measured and know what model boot, size and width fitting you need then eBay is your oyster and there are occasional bargains to be had if you're patient!  ;)

From memory the Defenders don't have a waterproof liner and only come in a standard last in Medium or Wide and rely on boot spacers placed under the insole to pad them out if required.
« Last Edit: 11:54:57, 04/07/18 by kinkyboots »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:24:37, 04/07/18 »
I really wanted Altberg to fit, but they didn't, despite trying their entire range.

One day I'll make it up to get tgrm fitted and adjusted.

Ronin83

« Reply #17 on: 12:53:50, 04/07/18 »
Re: defenders
Yeh no liner, but really bloody waterproof. I mean really.

I reckon I could get on with some a forme malhams, but again it's a risk without whole fitting process. Something for the future.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:12:36, 04/07/18 »
I reckon I could get on with some a forme malhams, but again it's a risk without whole fitting process. Something for the future.

It's not so much about the fitting process as it is about travelling to somewhere to get correctly measured to start with and then trying some on in the sizes you think you may need. Treat the measuring only as a guide and starting point. After 5-10 minutes of being worn your feet rather than the sizing on the boots will tell you which size feels to be the better fit for you and your first impressions are rarely wrong.

Depending on the level of skill of the boot fitter the measuring process should reveal any peculiarities of your feet and he/she should be able to instantly recommend any models which will suit your foot shape, width and volume the best and you should be prepared to be guided by any recommendations they make.

A location which may be worth a look https://www.breakingfree.co.uk/product/Altberg_Altberg-Malham-Mens-Walking-Boots_103_22_5_0.html

This is the sizing advice from Open Air Cambridge website for this boot https://www.openair.co.uk/footwear-c6/mens-c124/boots-c132/altberg-malham-walking-boots-p367/s1955
Regular fit, but with increased width across toe joints without significant increase in volume, narrower midfoot and heel. Sizing tends to run half a size small, so if you are normally UK 10 in boots you might require UK 10.5.

Best online price I can see at the moment appears to be £147.99 https://www.gaynors.co.uk/footwear-c119/mens-c121/boots-c126/altberg-mens-malham-walking-boot-p1793/s4940

It's not that long ago that I saw a pair of size 9½ never been worn outside the house sell on eBay for only £70 plus £5 postage.
« Last Edit: 15:47:01, 04/07/18 by kinkyboots »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:59:34, 16/07/18 »
As its been so hot and dry recently I decided to buy a pair of 'cheap' walking boots (£40) from Decathlon and then walk a few days along the Beacon Way and Offas Dyke path. The boots proved to be very comfortable and easy to live with, except in one place on each boot, right on the outer toenail edge of each little toe! I did not get blisters at all, just two bruised toenails.

Following the theme about 'why are boots/shoes not human foot shaped?' I can sort of agree with the writer. Why would boot manufactures decide that the curve on the outer side of each boot should start exactly where for example, my little toes are most likely to be touching the boot itself? I've had this problem before, except with the Keen Targee's and its rather boring to have to keep breaking then in, even having to do this with the type of boots that are advertised as not needed to be broken in.

I consider that I have very normal feet, lovely feet in fact, with no bent toes, no odd shaped areas and so on. I'm a size 7 but I bought a size 8 and they still pressed on my little toes. If I put my feet on a large piece of paper and draw around them and then draw around the shape of the sole of the boot I can see why some people might suggest that boots and shoes are 'not human foot shaped!' I wonder who decides these things, or is it just tradition?

The Decathlon boots are now very comfortable, I walked in them today and my little toes did not hurt at all. I'm sure they will last me well throughout the autumn and winter.

RogerA

« Reply #20 on: 16:06:58, 16/07/18 »
On the question asked - I dont know
On a related question - why dont shoes / boots mold the profile of your step i.e. the underside of your foot - I had a problem with a weak arch on one foot recently and discussed with my doctor. He got me some molded insteps to use in the short term while my foot recovered but made the point to me that I should not wear permanently as then the muscles in the base of my foot wouldnt get the workout they needed to stay strong - muscles unused dont get stronger.

Ronin83

« Reply #21 on: 07:53:07, 17/07/18 »
On the question asked - I dont know
On a related question - why dont shoes / boots mold the profile of your step i.e. the underside of your foot - I had a problem with a weak arch on one foot recently and discussed with my doctor. He got me some molded insteps to use in the short term while my foot recovered but made the point to me that I should not wear permanently as then the muscles in the base of my foot wouldnt get the workout they needed to stay strong - muscles unused dont get stronger.

Exactly! Good doctor.
Thats part of the philosophy of barefoot shoes. The arch is a muscle, like a tense suspension bar. If you support it all the time, it will become weaker and youll just need more support. Also arch support prevents your arch from flattening then springing back up, which is what it's supposed to do.
Same goes with ankle support.
Use support when you need it, when you don't just strengthen everything with minimal shoes/barefoot.

Beth FF

« Reply #22 on: 20:56:06, 18/07/18 »
I've seen a few people walking in these this Summer...

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/vib22/vibram-fivefingers-kso-sports-shoes-~-ss18/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImKX1_e6E3AIVSbDtCh1sJg3BEAQYASABEgJw2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ah yes, Vibram 5 Fingers! I used to walk in them and could manage 11-12 miles back to back on varying terrain with no problem. However, it's surprising how weak our feet get being supported in normal shoes all the time, so I had to work up to that mileage gradually. I loved them but they were too cold for winter unfortunately.

Ronin83

« Reply #23 on: 21:15:12, 18/07/18 »
Ah yes, Vibram 5 Fingers! I used to walk in them and could manage 11-12 miles back to back on varying terrain with no problem. However, it's surprising how weak our feet get being supported in normal shoes all the time, so I had to work up to that mileage gradually. I loved them but they were too cold for winter unfortunately.

Used to? Why not anymore?
I am still experimenting with barefoot shoes, but don't think I'd ever completely convert, although they do make sense.

Beth FF

« Reply #24 on: 21:26:11, 18/07/18 »

Used to? Why not anymore?
I am still experimenting with barefoot shoes, but don't think I'd ever completely convert, although they do make sense.
Mainly because at the moment I'm in training for an epic coastal walk and I think it would be just a bit too much to wear the V5Fs plus carry my rucksack for 1000s of miles. Plus I'd have to revert to warmer shoes in the winter which would mean training my feet all over again when I want to wear the vibrams. I found they took a bit of getting used to and feel weird if not worn for a while. I suppose I just got out of the habit of wearing them.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:18:37, 27/01/19 »
I wear these at times. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ITIZQ8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  ..I wrote a review on amazon there..They are the nearest I ever got to feet shaped boots. The sole is relatively flat and low. Alas they are not waterproof & in mud too slippy. In dry weather though they are about the most comfortable I have ever worn.. Merrell gloves (shoes)  are feet shaped & are very comfortable with a vibram flat sole. They are not good for hiking though and on hard surfaces can be a tad too sensitive.Maybe maufactureres realised that foot shapes boots or shoes, have not sold well in the past because people are too vain and think they look odd ?  ??? .
« Last Edit: 12:22:01, 27/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ronin83

« Reply #27 on: 18:15:05, 27/01/19 »
I wear these at times. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ITIZQ8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  ..I wrote a review on amazon there..They are the nearest I ever got to feet shaped boots. The sole is relatively flat and low. Alas they are not waterproof & in mud too slippy. In dry weather though they are about the most comfortable I have ever worn.. Merrell gloves (shoes)  are feet shaped & are very comfortable with a vibram flat sole. They are not good for hiking though and on hard surfaces can be a tad too sensitive.Maybe maufactureres realised that foot shapes boots or shoes, have not sold well in the past because people are too vain and think they look odd ?  ??? .

Ah yeh, Clarks actually do some foot shaped models. They often use gtx too, but I've never seen what I would say are proper hiking boots with foot shape by Clarks.
They sometimes have some on sale or cheap in Clarks outlet shops.

Vivobarefoots ''tracker" boots look interesting, but at £190 it's an expensive experiment.

I read your review btw. Cheers

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 14:20:42, 28/01/19 »

Ah yeh, Clarks actually do some foot shaped models. They often use gtx too, but I've never seen what I would say are proper hiking boots with foot shape by Clarks.
They sometimes have some on sale or cheap in Clarks outlet shops.

Vivobarefoots ''tracker" boots look interesting, but at £190 it's an expensive experiment.

I read your review btw. Cheers#
I agree expensive.!

:) I bought a pair of barefeet shoes one time, but felt they didnt give enough protection all round. I like the idea but think walking on footpaths along side of roads, and even stones & fields of mud need something a bit more substantial.. I never got to wearing them out doors and returned them.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:41:02, 28/01/19 »
Now, you see, I have problems with the modern trend to big wide toe boxes. Pretty much any shoes or boots I try nowadays leave my toes loose and I get no sense of security from them when doing anything other than walking on the flat.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy