Author Topic: Conic Hill and Inchcailloch  (Read 1641 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Conic Hill and Inchcailloch
« on: 18:50:08, 11/06/19 »
Sunday's walk was a no brainer to plan; with weather forecasters predicting rain for the Highlands and sunny skies for the lowlands, I headed south from Crianlarich to Luss on the citylink coach. My plan was to get the ferry across to Balmaha, near the start of the west highland way. The boat trip took 45 minutes. As I left Crianlarich, in my shorts and T-shirt, the rain poured out of the heavens. When I arrived in Luss, I was applying my sun cream. After getting of the boat, I walked to the visitor centre asking for directions to climb Conic Hill. I was told to walk to the end of the car park and follow the track; being a sunny day, there were a lot of tourists doing the same thing as me. I got to the summit in one hour. The views across Loch Lomond were beautiful. After admiring the views I retraced my steps to the visitor centre; I descended in less than 30 minutes. What should I do now, I thought? I decided to get the ferry to Inchcailloch, 5 minutes away and I spent half an hour on the island before getting the ferry back. I saw Conic Hill where I had been an hour earlier and Ben Lomond. Total distance was 11km and this was one of the best walks I've ever done. Getting the bus back to Crianlarich, the rain came on again. I missed the showers! ;D  This walk is good for wildlife lovers as well.

The man with the pink cap:
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Bullfinch?
Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Osprey shot:
Image may contain: tree, plant, sky and outdoor

A red dear:
Image may contain: tree, plant, grass, outdoor and nature

The Luss grahams:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

Blackbird shot:
Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Loch Lomond from Conic Hill:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

The islands from Conic Hill:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

The view south from Conic Hill:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

Descending Conic Hill:
Image may contain: plant, sky, cloud, mountain, grass, tree, outdoor and nature

Ben Lomond:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

The western Grahams from Inchcailloch:
Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond from Inchcailloch:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, plant, outdoor and nature

Zoom-in on Beinn Dubh I think:
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

The Luss Grahams:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Conic Hill and Inchcailloch
« Reply #1 on: 19:30:03, 11/06/19 »
It looks like an interesting area. That is a male chaffinch rather than a bullfinch; the blackbird might actually be a carrion crow; and it might be a roe deer rather than a red deer, but I am not 100% sure. It is definitely an osprey though  O0

You have some good hills around Crianlarich. I have ascended Beinn a’ Chroin and An Caisteal in the past. That was a long day driving down from Aberdeen and back afterwards on the same day.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:31:36, 11/06/19 »
Great pics henry  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:37:38, 11/06/19 »
Lovely pics, looks like you had a stunning day.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:38:31, 11/06/19 »

Lovely photos.

How were the midges?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:59:32, 11/06/19 »
Thanks for the replies everyone :)  I admit I was guessing with the wildlife wasn't 100% certain :)  Midges - awful - learnt the hard way. I did Cruach Ardrain on day one and was bitten badly (seen red spots at the end of my walk), thankfully cream solved the problem. Scotland and Northern Ireland where I live are opposites in this regard. I've only encountered midges twice here in the last 11 years. In Scotland I was totally unprepared for this and I've now bought midge repellent as I hope to climb Ben Lui in August from Tyndrum.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:28:51, 11/06/19 »
It's a pity you only had half an hour on Inchcailloch, it's a really interesting place to explore. There's a medieval grave site, as the people couldn't write they carved pictures on the headstones. A sheep for the shepard, a cow for the cowman and a plow for the plowman. I don't know whether or not the White Hart is still around or any of her offspring but there used to be one living on the island. The national parks tried to move her off the island, don't ask me why, but she returned within days - swam back. At the opposite end of the island to the ferry is a semi-wild campsite with a composting toilet and BBQ you can book through the NP, it's a good one for taking kids to.

Some of the other islands in the Loch are also interesting, one even has a residential population of Wallabies.     

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:37:01, 11/06/19 »
Highland midges are vicious. Fortunately, my wife tastes better than me (at least to a midge), although she doesn’t like walking up hills any more.

I assume the wallabies are from a wartime release. I didn’t realise there were any in Scotland, but thought there were some in the Peak District.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:54:39, 11/06/19 »

I assume the wallabies are from a wartime release. I didn’t realise there were any in Scotland, but thought there were some in the Peak District.

I think so, the National Parks tried to cull them a few years back but there was a huge outcry about it so they backed off. Sadly, I think the winter of 77-78 killed off the population on the Roaches. I certainly haven't see or herd of them since then, and the Yak died a long time ago.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:56:29, 12/06/19 »
Great photos Henry O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy