Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292338 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #600 on: 13:42:34, 18/12/18 »
Well, compared to a lot of people I buy very little new stuff and certainly nothing to add on here on a weekly/daily basis.
In summary for the last six months - I bought a Rab base layer T in September and a new tin of wax for my boots in October. If you include some sachets of Tailwind nutrition (which I don't suppose is truly 'kit') - that's it !

If there is any point to me mentioning this meagre re-stock of gear, it is purely that what I buy (nowadays) I tend to keep until it falls to bits. Some of that even gets repaired (e.g. new elastic to lid on a rucksack).
I'd like to say this shows I'm not influenced by glossy marketing/mail shots etc ....... but that isn't entirely true. When something special comes to light, I'm like most people. Presently ogling a Deuter rucksack but as I already have too many rucksacks, I can't really justify it.
In my defence, I have off-loaded a few that get little use, through ebay recently.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #601 on: 15:17:11, 18/12/18 »
I get your point Innominate Man, but by posting on here we all get the chance to find  new, possibly less costly sources of things we are looking for , even if it is only one thing per year.
I am at the stage now where I don't think I "need" anything else.
 ;D Unless of course someone mentions something that I suddenly discover the need for. ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #602 on: 15:40:15, 18/12/18 »
........ by posting on here we all get the chance to find  new, possibly less costly sources of things we are looking for , even if it is only one thing per year.
I am at the stage now where I don't think I "need" anything else.
 ;D Unless of course someone mentions something that I suddenly discover the need for. ;D

I agree with the 'new' finds that come along out of the blue or the ability to hear of others experiences. What I'm less interested in is the simple "I went out and bought myself .. x.. y... &  z" that may not be intended, but can come across as bragging. Especially when regularly repeated.
I appreciate to newcomers this is a whole new World to be explored (kit that is) and that may lead to several purchases, whereas I have a collection of kit built up over decades and being a grumpy, tight-fisted Yorkshire sod, need to let other indulge if it makes them happy.
Bah, humbug !
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #603 on: 20:35:53, 18/12/18 »
I know what you mean, I too now have trusty and reliable items and would never think of upgrading them. But there is always the temptation to buy the new item, these days I'm pretty good at saying no!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #604 on: 22:31:45, 18/12/18 »
I know what you mean, I too now have trusty and reliable items and would never think of upgrading them. But there is always the temptation to buy the new item, these days I'm pretty good at saying no!
Yeah, but it was you got me looking at Decathlon stuff. :D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #605 on: 22:35:08, 18/12/18 »
Yeah, but it was you got me looking at Decathlon stuff. :D

Hmm... peer pressure eh ?   ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #606 on: 23:20:19, 18/12/18 »

Hmm... peer pressure eh ?   ;D
I didn't realise. Lord Gunwaharman twas you got me looking at Decathlon. ::)

nesty

« Reply #607 on: 17:42:38, 21/12/18 »
Not so much for the walking but emergency put on in case of rain, I got myself a Highlander Stow & go for £20. Looks ok, hood is very good and fit seems ok, I'll let you know how breathable/waterproof it is!

Doddy

« Reply #608 on: 16:19:14, 01/01/19 »

From Zpacks in the US I bought a 3oz flight bag for use in transit, on the hike it can then be put in the pack as a pack liner
On a recent Holland trip at Amsterdam  Schipol I did see a service to buy a heavier flight bag, or they will wrap your bag. I guess other airports have a similar service.

Magic girl

« Reply #609 on: 15:16:48, 08/01/19 »
An alpkit gamma head torch which I'm very impressed with for the price and a craghoppers waterproof coat which was a bargain for £22.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #610 on: 19:44:29, 08/01/19 »
It`s been a while now since I bought them, but it is my Anatom leather boots. My feet are eternally grateful, after years of wearing a particular brand that were supposed to be some of the best. I had almost resigned myself to the fact I had putty feet and was prone to blisters....not any more,  oh the satisfaction & relief. O0
« Last Edit: 19:47:46, 08/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #611 on: 20:09:12, 08/01/19 »
A 2/3 man emergency shelter, been meaning to get one for a while having seen how effective they were when I was a 'casualty' on a local SAR training ex.
Where there's a will ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #612 on: 20:27:33, 08/01/19 »
A Berghaus 15L rucksack. It's very comfortable, and so far has been adequate for day walks.

taxino8

« Reply #613 on: 10:35:58, 09/01/19 »
Just took delivery of a Garmin InReach Mini yesterday.
I’m at the age where I’m starting to “think” about stuff going wrong, weird really as it’s never bothered me for the past forty years or so.
My first impressions are it’s a very handy and lightweight addition to my kit that I hopefully won’t need to use in anger but at least my family will have peace of mind knowing they can contact me if there’s no phone service.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #614 on: 11:10:46, 09/01/19 »
Would be great later if you can post your experience with it, I suspect there are a few here who are considering something similar  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy