Author Topic: It's gone, now what?  (Read 907 times)

thehay95

It's gone, now what?
« on: 18:44:16, 29/09/20 »
I always use Maptasm to print out the maps I need for a long walk. The map fills the screen, no clutter to get rid off. I'm off for another walk next week, Southport to Scunthorpe, and the Maptasm site is not there, GONE, CLOSED, KAPUT.  Now what do I do. Is there another site similar? Much easier to print off the sections I need rather than carry a wad of real os maps.Thanks in anticipation of the answer.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: It's gone, now what?
« Reply #1 on: 19:56:52, 29/09/20 »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:41:47, 29/09/20 »
https://www.bing.com/maps/
Select the OS maps layer.  There is a full screen option.  The print option within Bing does not give a full screen map ............ but printscreen will give you something to play with -  a quick crop to cut the menu and taskbars off and Robert is your mother's brother.
Solvitur Ambulando

Deolman

« Reply #3 on: 09:43:43, 30/09/20 »
I have used Mappyx Quo for many years. Maps can be easily printed off and you can choose your own scale.   

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:39:40, 30/09/20 »
Mapyx OS subscription .  £99.99 ex-VAT per year.
Ouch.

davengf

« Reply #5 on: 11:45:57, 30/09/20 »
Memory Map are now doing a subscription service
Landranger £20 per year.
Explorer £40 per year.

Deolman

« Reply #6 on: 12:04:14, 30/09/20 »
Mapyx OS subscription .  £99.99 ex-VAT per year.
Ouch.

I have checked the MAPYX site and you seem to be looking at the MAPYX/OS map streaming subscription service

I have used Mapyx Quo for around 10 years without any annual subscription charge for personal users. The current price for a 10km x 10km tile is 85p plus VAT. Software is free.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:14:10, 30/09/20 »
Or https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/.  All UK OS mapping, aerial imagery, national park pathways and greenspaces maps for 23.99  annual subscription.  Also includes free downloads of routes posted by other users, route plotting (with snap to feature within National Park boundaries) and the OS phone app for phone.  Routes prepared on the website are immediately accessible on the phone app and maps can be downloaded for off line use.  Map printing is not bad - could do with even smaller margins.  App cannot follow a route and record a track at the same time.

ViewRanger also offers an OS map subscription but I cannot speak for the quality of the printed maps as i have never used them.
In fact, as a day rather than a long distance walker, I have not printed a paper map for over a year as I have found my phone and gps perfectly adequate.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:19:11, 30/09/20 »

I have checked the MAPYX site and you seem to be looking at the MAPYX/OS map streaming subscription service

I have used Mapyx Quo for around 10 years without any annual subscription charge for personal users. The current price for a 10km x 10km tile is 85p plus VAT. Software is free.
Ah ok, I understand .

I did use the dedicated OS mapping app for a couple of years , but found I wasn`t using it enough to justify the cost at the time .. around £20 per annum.

I now use Lakes and it has detailed OS mapping on it ..You can plot routes also then you can save the GPX file to download onto a gps.
I screen grab maps sometimes then print them off.  All for free.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/maps/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy