Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573190 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2700 on: 10:37:04, 23/05/19 »
Why does everyone want photographs of a particular walk, theres plenty available here online, and anyway Ive done the walk numerous times before, and it looks like i will be doing a rerun this Saturday afternoon.
I told my friend about this Cwm Eigiau special, and he is desperate to give it a go, so i will introduce it to him probably on Saturday.

Does anyone here know who is legally responsible for the upkeep of the Eigiau carpark, i think i have done some damage to the underneath floorpan of my car.

The potholes inside the carpark are getting so deep, that unless you have significant clearance from your car, its impossible not to do some damage, and the deepest hole, is right inside the entrance, so it cannot be avoided.

Theres one hole that only a 4x4 can clear safely.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2701 on: 10:47:19, 23/05/19 »
I can find lots of things on line, trip reports etc, but just always nice to see some fresh photos of areas  O0

As for car parks I sympathise, had a fuel pump damaged once in a car park. Took photos of the offending article (in my case a stump sticking up) and the council paid up, and removed the stump  :)
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2702 on: 10:50:46, 23/05/19 »
I don't try to get out and about on Bank Holiday weekends, gave that a thumbs down a long while back! I'm on the rota to 'babysit' my frail old mother in law for a few hours per day so for me, so if I go 'to the woods' for a couple of hours, I catch a bus as well, pointless trying to use my car.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2703 on: 10:56:56, 23/05/19 »
Does anyone here know who is legally responsible for the upkeep of the Eigiau carpark, i think i have done some damage to the underneath floorpan of my car.

The potholes inside the carpark are getting so deep, that unless you have significant clearance from your car, its impossible not to do some damage, and the deepest hole, is right inside the entrance, so it cannot be avoided.

Theres one hole that only a 4x4 can clear safely.
  There is nothing on Parkopaedia.  I think it may be a case of  caveat emptor, especially if you saw it before you drove into it.   I always investigate potholes if I have any doubts and use a spotter when negotiating potholes in car parks to help me straddle them if possible.
We have some doozies round here too.  After winter some of our back lanes have potholes big enough to have their own weather systems.  Last year we had one that was marked by cones - they chucked 3 of them into it.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2704 on: 17:26:14, 24/05/19 »
A couple of quick snaps towards and from the very top of Gurnard's head. What a view that was. :)

Gorgeous photos BuzyG 8)   I remember sitting on the end of there some years ago when I did that section of the SWCP.  It was one of my favourite bits! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2705 on: 19:31:13, 25/05/19 »
We were late getting out today and I was worried that the pub we were planning to have lunch at half way round our walk would have stopped serving, they only do food 12.00 - 3.00. Fortunately Mrs Ridge pointed out that, as it was a circular walk, we could start at the pub. The woman is a genius.

So we had lunch at the John Bunyon in Coleman Green a hamlet of 3 houses one pub and an old listed and listing chimney.
Coffee and cake in Wheathampstead and then back to the pub for a quick pint before coming home.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2706 on: 19:55:33, 25/05/19 »
The woman is a genius.

Never ever ever ever say that Mark, they never forget  ::)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2707 on: 20:09:30, 25/05/19 »

Never ever ever ever say that Mark, they never forget  ::)
Its OK she is on the other sofa, she can't see what I am typing.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2708 on: 20:33:55, 25/05/19 »
Its OK she is on the other sofa, she can't see what I am typing.
They still know, you know!
Fortunately we men have superior control as in when she says "Now look what you made me do!"
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2709 on: 20:51:35, 25/05/19 »
Compliments are not the only things they remember. My wife remembers everything she thinks I have done wrong since we met and frequently reminds me of them. My slant on this subject is slightly different, in that I have never done anything wrong :) . My wife does say “when I met Mr. Right, I didn’t realise his first name was Always”.  :D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2710 on: 21:46:38, 25/05/19 »
Quick walk and a spot of climbing on Sheep's tor this afternoon.  What a popular spot for climbers.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2711 on: 00:48:18, 25/06/19 »
Walked the Abbots way, from Tavistock to Buckland, on Sunday.  A bit damp, but that's Dartmoor for you.  Not the most scenic 22 miles I will ever walk ether.  Even the Avon dam, usually an inviting vista for a tea stop, was a grey monosalabic tone in the drizzle.  A good paced workout though.

Very happy to see MrsG in the car park, at the Abbey, with dry shirt and socks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2712 on: 23:05:56, 25/06/19 »

Hopefully an overnight foray into the Cairngorms on my way south to pick my son (and his stuff) up from Glasgow.
I have my eye on Braeriach.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2713 on: 21:46:27, 28/06/19 »
Decided at the last minute (yesterday) to take the offer of a lift to Fort William  on Sunday. So will walk the Great Glen Way.Not sure how I'll get on as have recently had to be admitted back onto cardiology I.C.. They spotted a problem via my internal permanent heart monitor. Great bit of kit. Sends wireless signal nightly to the local hospital and they look at the trace daily. No problems now . Been taken off the beta blockers as they were slowing the ticker too much. Looking forward to a long easy (er) walk and may be able to find out if I do have a second gear. Bag packed,  12Kilo, counting food for the week and water. A few nights under the stars to look forward  to.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2714 on: 11:24:38, 30/06/19 »
Had a nice mooch yesterday around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park with our WI walking group  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy