Author Topic: Weekend in the Lakes (a kind of TR)  (Read 1366 times)

snaderson

Weekend in the Lakes (a kind of TR)
« on: 08:02:03, 04/08/20 »
Hi all, I had my first uncancelled stay in the Lakes of the year this weekend (1 out of 4), camping at the NT site in Great Langdale. On the first day I drove up to Borrowdale, a bit of a mistake really as there was little sensible parking left when I arrived at 09:45. Ended up by the side of the road (not blocking anything, not sticking out) in Stonethwaite. My route took me over Castle Crag, across to King's How (the other "Gate of Borrowdale", and a very steep climb), then over Grange Fell and Great Crag. It was very quiet on the tops, so all the people parked in the valley must have been heading for the swimming holes in Langstrath ("Just Google 'Black Moss Pot wild swimming'," said one girl I passed). The heat was very draining and, although I'd deliberately chosen a fairly easy route, I was exhausted. A restorative pint in the Langstrath Inn helped (though the bloke shouting into his phone in the bar didn't, especially when he paused to ask the barman what the pub was called; "Lang-what?"). Made the long drive to Langdale to meet the others and had a barbecue (carefully managed of course).

Next day, not wanting to fight for parking, we walked from the tents, over past Blea Tarn into Greenburn and up the side of the valley onto Wetherlam Edge (very steep and pathless with all the bracken up). We saw pretty much nobody except for the track from Wetherlam to Swirl How. From there we went over Great Carrs and dropped off Wet Side Edge to Three Shires Stone (an enjoyable descent) before climbing back up to Red Tarn (an enjoyable climb) and descending into Langdale where the ODG awaited us. The pub has lots of extra tables out front so there was plenty of space outside, few people inside. Food comes in cardboard takeaway boxes with wooden cutlery. As always there was a friendly crowd in. One woman was asking the next table where they were. "We missed our turning but thought this looked nice."

After another rainy night, the cloud was down low. Most headed home while I chose a short, below-cloud bimble up Hell Gill to Three Tarns then back down the Band. I liked the route very much, with lots of waterfalls and the impressive gorge of HG itself. Very steep though!

The campsite worked pretty well. With fewer people around and despite taping off of various shared facilities (every other toilet/shower) there was little queuing. I didn't use the shop but I'm told they had a limited selection and there was a counter just inside the door, outside which people queued.

All in all, a cracking few days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Weekend in the Lakes (a kind of TR)
« Reply #1 on: 08:25:03, 04/08/20 »
Glad that you had a pretty decent weekend. Been looking at your Wetherlam route on the map, looks good - except for the climb up onto Wetherlam Edge, that is !

Any photos?

Edit - was the campsite well set up for Covid?

« Last Edit: 08:28:13, 04/08/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #2 on: 08:38:10, 04/08/20 »
Lots of piccies! Not posted piccies on here before. Presumably Google Photos would work? I've only uploaded them (privately) on Facebook so far.

I felt the campsite was ok. As I say, they'd closed off every other sink/urinal/toilet/shower, but still there's only one way in and out. Didn't see any obvious signs of extra cleaning but they claim to do so. Definitely a lot fewer pitches.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:47:50, 04/08/20 »
Sounds like a good weekend  O0

One of my prerequisites when looking for accommodation, particularly in the Lakes, is how many decent walks can I get in without moving the car.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:55:08, 04/08/20 »
Lots of piccies! Not posted piccies on here before. Presumably Google Photos would work? I've only uploaded them (privately) on Facebook so far.

I felt the campsite was ok. As I say, they'd closed off every other sink/urinal/toilet/shower, but still there's only one way in and out. Didn't see any obvious signs of extra cleaning but they claim to do so. Definitely a lot fewer pitches.

I've not used Google Photos so not sure. If you want to display the images on the forum then you need to use a 3rd party image hosting site - I use imgbb - and paste a 'direct link' into the pop up box that appears when you click on the image icon above the smiley. Any questions, ask.

It is also surprisingly easy to start your own website or blog, I'm experimenting with Wordpress at the moment.

snaderson

« Reply #5 on: 09:16:34, 04/08/20 »
I do have a blog  :)  though it's not all walking and I don't update it very often. See http://summat-fever.blogspot.com/

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:02:02, 04/08/20 »
That sounds like a marvelous few days. Love all those walks O0
Glad the campsite is coping with the new normal.
I have recently experienced the "near empty fells but packed car parks " conundrum It must be as you say day trippers just out for a valley walk or to visit a handy beauty spot

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:34:36, 04/08/20 »

That sounds a smashing little weekend escape  :)

Posting pics - as you have a blog you can copy the images from there - R.click on the image - select "copy image address".  In your post on here click on the Insert Image icon and paste then click ok.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:37:56, 04/08/20 »
I'm booked to stay at the NT site in Great Langdale later this month. Would be very grateful to hear about how the site is running under current circumstances. Anything you discerned or learnt from the staff?

snaderson

« Reply #9 on: 20:14:21, 04/08/20 »
Thanks for the tip, Mel, that worked a treat  O0

View south from Castle Crag

On King's How

Dock Tarn

On Wetherlam Edge looking down on our route out of Greenburn

Wetherlam, Swirl How and Great Carrs from Wet Side Edge

Classic Langdale Pikes view

Crinkle Gill

Above Hell Gill

snaderson

« Reply #10 on: 20:16:59, 04/08/20 »
I'm booked to stay at the NT site in Great Langdale later this month. Would be very grateful to hear about how the site is running under current circumstances. Anything you discerned or learnt from the staff?

I didn't need to talk to the staff at all, someone had already checked me in - it's a pretty hands-off experience with a board hung with tags for the tent. There's plenty of space between pitches and the facilities aren't too busy. Often a short queue for the shop, where they're serving hot coffees and a few snacks, but not the full range of food that they usually have.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:27:38, 04/08/20 »
Lovely photos.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:30:20, 04/08/20 »
Great photos, worth waiting for.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:23:29, 14/08/20 »
Realised that on Monday I took almost exactly the same photo looking back down Wetherlam Edge!

PS - your photo is better than mine, though  :)
« Last Edit: 09:52:14, 15/08/20 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy