Author Topic: Meindl Minnesota pro gtx  (Read 4456 times)

Ronin83

Meindl Minnesota pro gtx
« on: 15:57:56, 27/06/18 »
Hi.
So, I have meindl Toronto boots and they've been amazing. I've taken good care of them and they've served me well, but my feet have grown and/or spread to the point that they are too small now. My big toe literally just touches the end and with the slightly pointed shape to them(why oh why don't they make shoes the actial shape of a human foot?) My toes are being squeezed from the sides. Im gutted, but they have to go. £160 boots which could have lasted me many more years, damn shame. I have to size up.

Has anyone used or tried on meindl Minnesota pro gtx boots?
There's not much info on them and I'm not sure which shops will sell them in-store to try on. I may potentially get them cheap(ISH) and they look good.
Im also watching a used pair of Bhutans in very good condition.
I love leather for obvious reasons, but do get hot feet.
Cheers

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Meindl Minnesota pro gtx
« Reply #1 on: 17:01:13, 27/06/18 »
Hi. I love leather for obvious reasons,

Message for you :

Miss Whiplash asked me to remind you that your next appointment is this Saturday.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:18:46, 27/06/18 »
I love leather for obvious reasons, but do get hot feet.

If you like leather boots but want your feet to be cooler consider the Meindl Borneo 2 MFS which is leather lined rather than Gore-Tex lined.

The leather does need regular waxing to keep them waterproof but the leather lining is definitely cooler than a Gore-Tex lining.

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 20:43:02, 27/06/18 »

Message for you :

Miss Whiplash asked me to remind you that your next appointment is this Saturday.

Hahahaha. Nice one. I didn't even get that at first. Does sound rather kinky

Ronin83

« Reply #4 on: 20:53:49, 27/06/18 »
Yeh I thought about the Borneo's. Finding a good deal on them isn't so easy though and I bought expensive leather boots in the first place to buy once, buy right, buy to last. I kind of begrudge having to spend big again after less than 2 years.
It doesn't help that I need size 8.5 in meindl.
Sound like a right moaner don't I? Haha

Chris954

« Reply #5 on: 22:44:52, 27/06/18 »
I bought a par of Minnesota GTX about a year ago, I find them extremely comfortable but thats me, you might have different shaped feet. So far theyre 100% waterproof, not too hot in warm weather with the right socks and ok in mid winter, the cold does come through when theyre caked in wet mud though. The grip from the sole isn't the best on mud but is good on the slimy Limestone of the white peak district. I bought mine from Foothills in Sheffield and the customer service was second to none. I was there for two hours trying boots on till I found a pair that fitted properly.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:11:12, 28/06/18 »
A couple of leather options which might be worth considering are the Altberg Malham or the Altberg Nordkapp which are built on the A-Forme last which has a more rounded toe end shape. Not cheap but as you'll no doubt already be aware quality boots which will made to last never are. If you go the Altberg route make sure that you get properly measured.

You can find your nearest stockist here https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/footwear-c119/mens-c121/boots-c126/altberg-mens-malham-walking-boot-p1793
https://www.tauntonleisure.com/alt-berg-men-039-s-malham-leather-walking-boots.html

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/footwear-c119/mens-c121/boots-c126/altberg-mens-nordkapp-boot-p1794/s4947
https://www.tauntonleisure.com/alt-berg-men-s-nordkapp-leather-walking-boots.html

A budget unlined leather option which might be worth a look is the Altberg Defender military boot with plenty of new in box examples cropping up regularly on eBay for around £70.

Ronin83

« Reply #7 on: 13:31:51, 28/06/18 »
Thanks guys.
Altberg are class. I do actually have some defenders(I think thatst what they are) which I got grade 1 from eBay to see me through working outdoors all winter in snow, mud and lots of water/rain. They stayed perfectly waterproof, however, I wouldn't want to hike in them. The heel slips too much even when fully laced, they are a little roomy everywhere except the toes and they're bloody heavy. Like I said though, bloody good, strong, quality boots. I'd definitely have to go to a shop and get fitted with altberg, but unfortunately none of their stockists are any where near me. You just don't seem to see them in outdoor shops for some reason. I think thats terrible really considering they're a respected British boot maker.
Anyway they are my go to winter bushcraft and general heavy use boots, but not comfy enough for walking.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 13:36:50, 28/06/18 »
My concern with the Minnesota's is that they couldn't handle the wet chalk, mud and clay of England, especially around my area(Hertfordshire). They might still be worth getting, but try to keep them away from the wettest muddiest walks in winter.

Mud on leather just washes right off though ay?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:49:23, 28/06/18 »
.......and that's the main reason I've been trying to steer you towards choosing a leather boot.

The fact is that any suede or nubuck and fabric combination boot will not only generally perform poorly in wet conditions in comparison to a leather boot it will also probably only have a short lifespan. It may be only 12 - 24 months before the waterproof liner fails rendering the boot totally useless in wet conditions and you are back in the shop buying new boots yet again.

The obvious penalty for the increased waterproofing and longer life provided by a leather boot is an increase in weight of the boot.

It comes down to personal preference and whilst some people are prepared to accept the shorter life for the weight saving others are not.

« Last Edit: 14:08:29, 28/06/18 by kinkyboots »

Ronin83

« Reply #10 on: 14:28:23, 28/06/18 »
.......and that's the main reason I've been trying to steer you towards choosing a leather boot.

Yeh it does make more sense for my home terrain.
In dry summer conditions I'm more than happy In a pair of trail runners. May keep my eye on some low moabs or something for inbetweeny weather, but I think the leather boot journey continues.

Ronin83

« Reply #11 on: 14:54:50, 02/07/18 »
Ok. Sorry this is long.

Went to a few outdoor stores and tried on loads.
Heres what I learned....
1. I need size 9 in boots to give me my precious toe wiggle/splay room
2. Meindls all have stupidly narrow toe boxes nowdays except vakkuum, which are very pricey.
3. At size 9 leather boots wont tighten enough over my foot, leaving me sliding around inside the boot and heel slippage, except mammut trovat which were, again, very pricey and a way too stiff for less than mountainous terrain
4. Meindls Minnesota and Scarpa r Evo gtx were comfy, grabbed my foot nicely and didn't squeeze my toes.

Other fabric/suede boots felt good too, but felt less strong and reliable.
The Scarpa had a particularly good smooth lacing system, soft shell+elastic goretex tongue and ankle and thick suede uppers. Elastic goretex means the fibres are designed to stretch and stay waterproof, which is the usual downfall of goretex...it isnt stretchy and so fails.

I also found scarpa terra gtx on sale at millets/blacks currently for £99. Full leather boot.
Minnesota are looking expensive.
I ordered the r Evo and the terras to my local store so I can try on and compare.

My decision now is this...

Buy the r evos for goods and a pair of cheap(found some) altberg defenders for stomping in the mud and the blood and the beer in dead winter [censored] weather.

Or

Providing they're comfy, get the terras and be done with it. £99 pair of leather boots for everything.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:16:36, 02/07/18 »
Ok. Sorry this is long.

Went to a few outdoor stores and tried on loads.
Heres what I learned....
1. I need size 9 in boots to give me my precious toe wiggle/splay room
2. Meindls all have stupidly narrow toe boxes nowdays except vakkuum, which are very pricey.

Strange how we differ - I spent hours trying on various brands and models of boots - I have wide feet and a bunion, and the only ones that were 'wide fit' (wide enough) were the Meindl boots.

Most of the Meindl bottom lace grommets fell on top of my Bunion - the widest and best fit (Bunion wise) were the Meindl Meran

I ended up with those.

Ronin83

« Reply #13 on: 16:16:06, 02/07/18 »
Hmm.
Ah yeh the meran are ''comfort fit'. They certainly were toe friendly, but a bit expensive for what they are if u ask me. Lots of stitching. But as everyone says, our feet are all different.

To clarify, its the toe box lack of width which bothers me. Why the [censored] do shoemakers curve the end in towards the big toe. It's a bunion epidemic out there.

Kukkudrill

« Reply #14 on: 17:20:42, 02/07/18 »
why oh why don't they make shoes the actial shape of a human foot?

The curvature puts space in front of the toes while holding the foot in place. If shoes followed the actual shape of the foot, all your toes would bump up against the front of the toe box and you'd end up with blisters or bruised toenails or both.
Make the most of the available light

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy