Author Topic: Rain jacket membrane question  (Read 1211 times)

Dan1902

Rain jacket membrane question
« on: 21:08:17, 26/02/18 »
Hi all.

I've had a Regatta "Ultrafly X-Ert" rain jacket for the past couple of years but in my outdoor exploits it's only been properly tested once in moderate rain for around 3-4 hours where it held up well. The membrane material is called "Isotex Pro 2.5" but I can't find much on it and what it is comparable to on other jackets.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/regatta-mens-ultrafly-jacket-A1113527.html?colour=151 [nofollow]

Can anyone shed any light.

Ta

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Rain jacket membrane question
« Reply #1 on: 21:28:29, 26/02/18 »

I just googled isotex pro 2.5 and all it brought up is Regatta stuff so I'm assuming it's Regatta's own brand version of a goretex (waterproof/breathable) membrane.

Welcome to the giant wormhole of which waterproof/breathable fabric works and which one doesn't  :D

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:30:47, 26/02/18 »

Welcome to the giant wormhole of which waterproof/breathable fabric works and which one doesn't  :D

which will probably lead into the usual "discussion"  :D :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:32:30, 27/02/18 »
Did I hear my name being called?  ;D

AFAIK pretty much all of the own-brand fabrics are developed for the companies by a few big fabric firms and are almost always PU membranes. So it's probably one of those.

2.5 means face fabric plus the membrane layer and, in the inside, an applied layer (sprayed on) rather than another fabric layer.

It's likely to be equivalent to stuff like HellyTech or whatever. Not as good as full goretex or event but OK

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:33:32, 27/02/18 »
2.5 means face fabric plus the membrane layer and, in the inside, an applied layer (sprayed on) rather than another fabric layer.

It's likely to be equivalent to stuff like HellyTech or whatever. Not as good as full goretex or event but OK

Though I believe that the sprayed layer deteriorates, wears out, so this type of waterproof garment has a comparatively short life?

wobblyknees

« Reply #5 on: 10:49:46, 27/02/18 »
I researched these a long time ago. From memory, Regatta had two types of Isotex at the time. One was "waterproof" the other "water resistant".
My brother bought a Regatta jacket (against my advice). He said the 'boil in the bag' effect was most uncomfortable.

Dan1902

« Reply #6 on: 16:21:04, 27/02/18 »
I find this with most clothing.  I'm always running hot regardless of how breathable the clothing is. What I liked about this jacket was the large pit zips which I kept open most of the time and it's fit is spot on. Considering I wore it for 3-4 hours or so in mild temps in the rain I did alright I think. I was starting to get a little bit damp at the end IIRC from my own perspiration so may have been uncomfortable if I had to keep it on all day.

Didn't know about the sprayed layer. I take it that it can be renewed for a while with something like a Nikwax treatment?

Cheers

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:01:13, 27/02/18 »
If a fabric, whatever it is called is waterproof, then it's waterproof. Some, usually depending on the quality of the outer fabric are more durable than others. Rucksack straps etc can wear away a lower grade fabrics waterproof layer/coating.
However the main thing where a garment stands up or falls down is the quality of the seam taping. this is where rain is most likely to enter and will do so if the taping fails. It is not the tape exactly but how well it is adhered to the seams.
I had a waterproof jacket with taped seams that failed the first time it was worn on the rain. The taping literlay peeled off and i ended up soaked through. It was a cheaper jacket, my usual more expensive jackets have weathered many a storm without problem.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:54:01, 27/02/18 »
Didn't know about the sprayed layer. I take it that it can be renewed for a while with something like a Nikwax treatment?

I don't think so.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:32:06, 27/02/18 »

https://coolhikinggear.com/what-does-2-2-5-and-3-layer-construction-in-a-rain-jacket-mean

« Last Edit: 18:39:07, 27/02/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:28:14, 28/02/18 »
The .5 layer is the innermost one and is not renewable. It's just there to protect the membrane from the body. Often silvery, sometimes printed with a dot pattern.

Better than cheapo rubbery 2 layer but usually heavier, not as good as 3 layer but lighter.

Dan1902

« Reply #11 on: 09:23:01, 01/03/18 »
Having had a further read up, it appears that it was the one for me to go with for my use and budget (around £45-50 I think.)
It won't be the toughest of jackets but won't get regular punishment from the weather and it's very packable and

Thanks all for the info.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy