Author Topic: Performance  (Read 3890 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Performance
« Reply #30 on: 16:21:31, 06/05/19 »
I plan my walks to finish at, or within striking distance of, a pub.  If you walk with me you will find the distance to go towards the latter part of the walk is given in minutes to beer o'clock.  It helps revive a flagging pace and is therefore performance related m'lud.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:13:59, 06/05/19 »
Pubs improve my performance  :D

A quick halfway pint tends to refresh me and pick up the pace  O0

I second that. It's very important to keep topped up with liquid and avoid dehydration. Even if your pace is a bit wobbly afterwards.

To a golfer who shouted about my poles, "I don't think you'll find any snow that way", I replied, "They're to stop me falling over when I come out of the pub!"

There, I've covered two threads in one post, Performance and Poles  ;)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:52:55, 06/05/19 »
Interesting thread, I've not really thought about it before. Here's some stats from my Sunday walk. Approx 22.5km, 1065m ascent and descent, 6.5 hours. That works out at 3.5kph or 2.2mph overall. What does that prove? I've no idea probably nothing.

maxmarengo

« Reply #33 on: 09:00:14, 07/05/19 »
If you are using ViewRanger, the bit of data that you need is "Moving Average Speed" - that gives you your average speed when you are actually moving. That way you don't have to pause the recording all the time (though it is still advisable if you are going to spend some time indoors).
To see it, go into the supplementary tabs behind recording, find a bit of data you no not need (eg. "Heading" on the navigation tab), press and hold and a selection of data fields will come up. Select "Moving average speed" and that value will replace "Heading".
I find that very useful when I am on a walk involving lots of stops and starts (birdwatching, looking at flowers, making notes). In the end I am interested in how fast I walk for two reasons:1) A check on my fitness levels when I am walking on local terrain.2) To help estimate how quickly I can walk a particular distance if I have a deadline to meet (pub closing, bus to catch etc).

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:44:37, 07/05/19 »

And if using SatMap you get :

Max Speed
Average Speed
Average Moving Speed

Current Speed
Total Time
Moving Time

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:51:57, 07/05/19 »
I use the Walkmeter App. Unless it's changed it has the option to have voice updates on your progtess, you just decide what info you want it to tell you and how often.

Did the Great Glen Way years ago using it, phone in the top of the rucksack, telling me every mile what my average mph was, distance walked etc. and every hour I got more info.

It's good but then you do feel like you need to speed up when it tells you your average pace is 2.9mph for example then you stop for a wee and the average goes down :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:52:17, 07/05/19 »
And if using SatMap you get :

Max Speed
Average Speed
Average Moving Speed

Current Speed
Total Time
Moving Time

Or on a Garmin those data fields and many more besides, too many really but then they cater for all sorts, even have a data field for Vertical speed to destination  ;D
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:57:34, 07/05/19 »
Or on a Garmin those data fields and many more besides, too many really but then they cater for all sorts, even have a data field for Vertical speed to destination  ;D
  Of which my favourite is ETA!
Solvitur Ambulando

myxpyr

« Reply #38 on: 12:01:19, 08/05/19 »
If you are using ViewRanger, the bit of data that you need is "Moving Average Speed" - that gives you your average speed when you are actually moving. That way you don't have to pause the recording all the time (though it is still advisable if you are going to spend some time indoors).
To see it, go into the supplementary tabs behind recording, find a bit of data you no not need (eg. "Heading" on the navigation tab), press and hold and a selection of data fields will come up. Select "Moving average speed" and that value will replace "Heading".
I find that very useful when I am on a walk involving lots of stops and starts (birdwatching, looking at flowers, making notes). In the end I am interested in how fast I walk for two reasons:1) A check on my fitness levels when I am walking on local terrain.2) To help estimate how quickly I can walk a particular distance if I have a deadline to meet (pub closing, bus to catch etc).
Thanks for that. I've just reset my Viewranger and look forward to "field testing" it

tenmilesplus

« Reply #39 on: 12:25:51, 08/05/19 »

Made me smile. I remember the bad old days when pubs in England and Wales used to shut for an afternoon break, rushing down off the hill to catch last orders.

Often resulted in a 'lock in'!

If you want to revisit the 1970's pubs in Northampton don't open even when they are advertising they are open.. Spent 3 days walking there and learnt not to rely on them, the few we found that were open were very good and oldy Worldy with great food and beers but just unreliable.. Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread..

Speed walking performance though is a personal thing.. Walking is not a sport but a hobby, it is generally open for all and my personal reason for Walking is only partly competitive, I set my own rules, targets and goals, sometimes these are low but sometimes I really push myself ( Test Way 44 miles in 18 hrs ) but for 99% of the time just enjoying the views and getting home are the only to achievements required.. We do try to keep to 2+ mph as an average which means walking at 3+ mph to allow stops for ( pub ) food and picture taking..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy