Author Topic: west highland way - Please help me -  (Read 4474 times)

koen111

west highland way - Please help me -
« on: 20:06:28, 01/07/07 »
Hello, ;D 

I am planning to do the WHW end July with a mate and need some info....  I have been surfing the net and looking on maps and noticed that some parts of the trek are very close to the A82. Is this a busy road and does it ruin the walking????  Also, do you think it is a better idea to start the hike in Balloch (below Loch Lomond) So we can skip the more urban beginning??? This might give us some extra time to do some hiking around Ben Nevis and Glen Coe.  We are coming over from Belgium so we won`t have a car with us.  Seems that the WHW is the most accesible walk but also the bussiest one.  Are there any other good options??? Not to far away from stations....

Last one.... we would like to do the whole thing with a tent, any good camping spots recommended along the way.  What sort of tent to take, is there strong winds up there or is it OK to take a lighter less stormproof tent with you.....Is the water you find along the way drinkable, do you need to treat it with drops???  Any nice places to have a good lunch???

A lot of questions I know but please help us ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 08:51:08, 04/07/07 by koen111 »

Pavlos

Re: west highland way - Please help me -
« Reply #1 on: 11:36:23, 06/07/07 »
Hiya

I've never done the WHW, but hope to in the future. I just thought I would recommend a camp site for you, that's on the WHW, which I've stayed at. Beinglas [nofollow] about a mile or two north of the top of the loch. Great facilities, including covered kitchen and eating area with cooking equipment. Also a pub on site serving food inc breakfast in the mornings. nice shop too....

koen111

« Reply #2 on: 13:05:17, 06/07/07 »
 O0  thanks looks like a very nice site.............

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:57:53, 08/10/07 »
I did the WHW early this year and dispirit getting an ankle injury on the first day, I really enjoy it.  You do cross roads but these are few and fair between the only one that I can remember that's busy  is near the Black mountains there a pub near here called the king house where you got to cross a busy  road not sure if it the A82 thou but it very scenic long the way, there also another section where you walk along side the road heading up to devils staircase.  Which is quite short the only way I come over this is to wave to the cars and see the looks on there faces, its funny. Good LUCK and enjoy it.  It's a good hike and you'll meet lots of people along the way. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:23:22, 08/10/07 »
 I did the WHW in 2001 and really enjoyed it.The section on the A82 is quite short, just before the Devil's Staircase and dosen't ruin the walk.I also found the first section to be very pleasant and certainly not urban.The walk to Drymen is quite easy but makes for an  easy first stage to stretch the legs after a long train journey.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:16:28, 08/10/07 »
It would be interesting to hear about how you got on  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy