Author Topic: The Best Bit of Any Walk?  (Read 3093 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: The Best Bit of Any Walk?
« Reply #15 on: 16:33:41, 09/01/19 »
Probably getting snug in my sleeping bag after a long day of hiking, tucked up on the side of a fell somewhere, just listening to wind against the tent and the wildlife.

Second would be the view from a summit or vantage point whilst you're having a brew on a clear day, just gazing as far as the eye can see, looking back over the route you took to get to the top.  Probably equal to that feeling when you put the tent up, get all your 'camp tasks' done and just put your feet up watching a sunset on a warm night.

My least enjoyable bit of any walk/camp is either the first ascent as I never feel as warmed up and fluid despite how many stretches I do, or that moment where you wake up on a frosty morning, get out of your sleeping bag and everything is absolutely freezing - thus starting this explosion of activity where you're putting on layers, making a brew, going through your morning camp tasks before getting the tent down.  Some days I feel I need an extra few hours of sleep.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:53:48, 09/01/19 »
Getting to where I am going to pitch my tent for the night, on a warm balmy evening, clear starry skies and close to a good pub or restaurant. Then after eating and having a drink, settling down for the night and sleeping well. Unfortunately something that doesn't happen to me too often.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:57:30, 09/01/19 »
Fully agreed with Forgotmyoldpassword's "best bits" above, though for me it's the view from my tent when I rise in the morning - just grass, rushes, rocks and maybe a few sheep, as far as I can see all around. No houses, no people, no cars. For a suburbanite like me it's awesome.

The best part of any of my day walks can vary from one to another. It might be a panoramic view, an enchanting wood, pretty cottages, a pub, exchanging a few words with a pleasant stranger or unfortunately on some occasions simply the moment I get back to my car.

Yesterday's walk will be remembered partly for finding a group of  wild stinking hellebore, Helleborus foetidus,  with blooms just opening, but more so for the timid little dog that came yap, yap, yapping from a farm just as I settled myself down for my lunch. He was clearly frightened of me but I won him over with bits of sandwich. Before long he was sitting at my side and then rolling over to have his tummy tickled. I was so grateful to him for sharing his company with me.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:05:39, 09/01/19 »
I think the best bit of any walk is the bit without any stiffness, aches or pains  :D 

Usually the middle bit  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:52:11, 09/01/19 »
The after walk pint! I don't say this flippantly. It's a chance to reflect on the wonder of the day. To consider questions that cropped up and to enjoy the company of like minded souls.

Maybe discuss with companions events or features of interest.

Today, after an interesting walk, over a pint, we studied the map to consider where a valley we saw actually led to/from and whether we might find more walks there. So much better in a nice warm pub than trying to do it out on the moor and today, between snow showers!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:07:09, 09/01/19 »
For me it starts once I got into my stride, with a pace decided on, breathing pattern established (especially uphill), boots, rucksack and everything else adjusted and comfortable. I am then no longer thinking about process of walking can forget about ‘normal’ life. I can feel myself relaxing as I become immersed in the great outdoors.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:31:38, 09/01/19 »
The beginning. I've made the decision of where the starting point will be, checked the map for suitable footpaths, made the sandwiches, rucksack on the back and boots on, map in hand, now lets go for it. Smile on my face looking forward to the day ahead, and the freedom of the great outdoors.

ilona

Rather be walking

« Reply #22 on: 12:52:57, 10/01/19 »
The after walk pint! I don't say this flippantly. It's a chance to reflect on the wonder of the day. To consider questions that cropped up and to enjoy the company of like minded souls.
Man after my own heart  O0
Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:19:59, 10/01/19 »
That agonising burn in the lungs and deep throbbing pain in the quads as I slog up the first really steep ascent of the route.
Being jostled by a milling crowd of noisy sweaty hikers on the summit of popular hills.
Taking off my boots and socks in the carpark at the end of the day.
(PS  I lied about the first two.)

Skip

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:29:52, 10/01/19 »
That agonising burn in the lungs and deep throbbing pain in the quads as I slog up the first really steep ascent of the route.
Being jostled by a milling crowd of noisy sweaty hikers on the summit of popular hills.
Taking off my boots and socks in the carpark at the end of the day.
(PS  I lied about the first two.)

No you didn''t.  We all secretly enjoy the burn.  It's one more way nature tells us we are still alive and kicking. ;)

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:32:04, 11/01/19 »
Kicking??? Crawling, more like  ;)
Skip

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:31:10, 12/01/19 »
Best bits for me are;

Finding a good lunch spot. (Usually somewhere quiet with a nice view, which doesn't necessarily have to be high up).
Spotting some form of wildlife that I don't see very often. (Turns a nice walk into something special.)
Adding the miles walked to my running total for the year.
 :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:58:00, 13/01/19 »
Finding and recognizing the place on a walk, which has the quality to give the reason why it is a good day or recognizing that Mrs BWW has discovered such a place.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy