Author Topic: Barbecue parties in the great outdoors  (Read 4114 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Barbecue parties in the great outdoors
« Reply #15 on: 12:57:55, 28/06/20 »
 :-[ Sorry pigs, I know you are a clean animal, I have mucked out after Landrace and Large Whites, even a few Wessex Saddlebacks. I should have said Humans perhaps even Homo Sapiens.
Perhaps the public misbehaviour, indiscipline and mob slovenliness has progressed to a stage that UK gov.com must step in. Are we passed the stage of Animal Farm and moving into the 1984 stage? :knuppel2: Computerize the street surveillance footage, bring in facial recognition and mass genetically test the droppings of Homo Sapiens 2020. Then send out automatic fines, criminalize non-payment, short circuit the the court processes for quick results. :police:

Personally I would to like to educate my own family into good behaviour and hope they do not get perverted by mass bad behaviour when they become independent, be strong minded enough not to succumb to marketing induced slobbery, celebrity led slovenliness, so that their education can be spent on proper academic learning, and training a mind to think.

The money spent on cleaning up Britain after every bout of public excess, will have to come out of some budget or other, or will the excremental masses willingly pay more taxes to clear up their droppings.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GoneWest

« Reply #16 on: 13:09:56, 28/06/20 »
Homo what? You must be joking!  >:( I'd better leave it there; this is not the forum for that kind of debate. :-X

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:16:00, 28/06/20 »
This thread is in danger of deteriorating like some recent others and is in danger of being locked. The glut in littering and antisocial behaviour is not to do with government or education. It is all down to attitude, personal responsibility and thinking of others. That can’t be legislated for or taught.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:28:00, 28/06/20 »
Homo what? You must be joking!  >:( I'd better leave it there; this is not the forum for that kind of debate. :-X

I must be missing something, but not sure I follow what point you are making?

The glut in littering and antisocial behaviour is not to do with government or education. It is all down to attitude, personal responsibility and thinking of others. That can’t be legislated for or taught.

Not sure I agree with you there BFM - I'm pretty convinced one can be taught behaviours.  Surely that it what good parenting and schooling will do (as well as imparting knowledge).  The one thing I always tried to get through to my three was that they should always think of the impact of their actions and words on others - before they carried out the action preferably!  Touch wood it seems to have worked - certainly they are disgusted by the mess being left everywhere.

GoneWest

« Reply #19 on: 16:20:39, 28/06/20 »

I must be missing something, but not sure I follow what point you are making?

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/search/latin/sapiens

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:52:21, 28/06/20 »
Homo      what?                          You must be joking!                 ;D
BWW

Deolman

« Reply #21 on: 17:37:11, 28/06/20 »
The problem of anti-social behaviour is the result of decades of governments pandering to physco-babblers and ‘do gooders’ for the sake of political expediency. In my younger days there was a thing called discipline which nowadays seems to be regarded as a dirty word. When I was a child if a police officer caught me doing something wrong it would be a clip around the ear and then hauled back to my parents where I would also face severe repercussions. Nowadays the police have ‘authority’ in name only hence why they are unable to control civil disobedience such as that seen recently in Manchester, the beaches of Blackpool, Bournemouth etc.  It is why individuals see no harm in leaving their litter for others to clean up, or why they feel hanging dog poo bags on tree branches is an acceptable form of behaviour. In Wales it is even illegal now for parents to discipline their children with a smack across their backside and people wonder why we are in the state we are in? As regards portable barbecues the problem people have with them is that they can take hours to cool down hence they are left behind when the party-goers have gone. If the police under particular circumstances are able to confiscate alcohol off people then surely it cannot be too difficult to enable portable barbecues to be treated in a like manner. As regards civil disobedience why can’t the police be reinforced by the use of our armed forces who, unlike many during this pandemic, are still on full pay.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:47:05, 29/06/20 »
Hello.... Is there no environmental education in schools nowadays?
Yes there is, but it is more centred around climate change than conservation.

When I was studying for my BSc in Environmental Science, a group of us went for a picnic one Sunday.
Had only set up a few minutes and a nervous woman came close to us as complained that we were making a mess and we should not be by the lake.
Kind of put a damper on the whole event.

What we do not want is the sort of campaign that the government started in the early naughties to make young male drivers more sensible.  The small finger wagging one.

Or, for that matter, York's answer.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:43:26, 29/06/20 »
That can’t be legislated for or taught.

Legislation won't work on it's own, but I believe that behaviour can be taught, Mike, although as I said earlier, a long term cross party approach is needed.

The alternative is just to give up and accept the behaviour.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:18:05, 29/06/20 »

Legislation won't work on it's own, but I believe that behaviour can be taught, Mike, although as I said earlier, a long term cross party approach is needed.

The alternative is just to give up and accept the behaviour.

Certainly it can be taught. In an ideal world by parents, elder siblings, etc...it really shouldn’t be necessary to be a formal subject in school.

In less than ideal world we live in...perhaps it should be covered in school at some point??

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:54:30, 29/06/20 »

I would like to order one of these for the end of my garden. Where regularly there are convenience food wrappings tossed negligently, to be found the morning after. But I wonder what budget the design and printing these came out of. Probably left less money for the fingerposts and waymarks in the RoW dept at the bottom end of the Environment pot.
Perhaps they should be on the end of MacDonalds menu, they might get a walkin sale from me. Or could I get a free delivery of one from Deliveroo?
BWW

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:57:36, 29/06/20 »
No matter what we may think as individuals, in the UK, as regards its litter problem, we are where we are! We can't go back and we don't know how to go forward. We can blame people in a 360 degree circle, or if you prefer we can blame the left, right and the centre and we can debate the subject forever and a day and it will still not solve the UK's litter problem! We can think of educating the 'masses' (I'm one of them) we can also wish for authoritarian regimes, 'draconian measures' (what are they?) fines, jail sentences, firing squads, etc, etc, etc, but none of them will work, it might work for some but certainly not for others, people are just too complex for such simplistic 'solutions.'

Turned on its head we could blame the people that make what then becomes the UK's litter, (this appeals to the way I think) but then we will argue about profit and the economy and other debate avenues and complexities will arise.

As regards 'educating' people about litter versus 'punishing' people about litter, as an individual I prefer the 'educating' route but I know that if anything was to change it would take a long time and it would need investment and a REAL long term plan, something that Governments are not good at, they like the short term because they want to stay in power.

And of course we the 'masses' will soon (or already are?) bored with this subject, it may be the tabloid flavour of the week today, but it will certainly be forgotten 'tomorrow!' It's only being used for political gain, there is no strategy and unless it gets votes there still won't be.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:50:41, 29/06/20 »
Thinking about this when walking in the almost litter free Devon countryside I wondered if instead of clearing up all the litter in parks (beaches would be more difficult) it was left for a few days for the next wave of people to sit down amongst. Imagine the angry trip advisor reports - we arrived at this wonderful beauty spot to find LITTER strewn everywhere, disgusting, something should be done, we pay our council tax etc etc.  But perhaps then they might gain some understanding of the problem
« Last Edit: 13:51:57, 29/06/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:44:23, 29/06/20 »
Hello Jac.... I too had thoughts along these lines although if this were applied to the beach problems I guess that we would have to take into account the reach of the tides.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy