Author Topic: How easy are our coastal paths to navigate?  (Read 3698 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: How easy are our coastal paths to navigate?
« Reply #15 on: 12:40:56, 05/06/18 »
I met a guy walking from Dover to Lands End on the Bournemouth Sea front …………….

Was it just a map of the route laid out on the Prom ?

Rather be walking

« Reply #16 on: 13:02:12, 05/06/18 »

No. Sorry don't understand question. ???

He was walking part of the E9 European long distance path.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:59:38, 05/06/18 »

I get the joke! :D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:21:06, 05/06/18 »
I live in Suffolk and my husband’s done all of the Suffolk Coast path over 2 days. I’ve probably walked quite a bit of it over the years. It goes from Lowestoft to Felixstowe and yes it does go inland occasionally, mostly because you can’t cross the river! It goes through heathland and towns such as Southwold and Aldeburgh, plus Dunwich and Minsmere RSPB. I would think most of it is well walked.  There is a foot ferry from Bawdsey to Felixstowe ( I think it runs in the summer and you can prebook in the winter). South of there is the Stour and Orwell Walk, which you can use to walk around those 2 rivers, or you can get a foot ferry from Felixstowe to Harwich.  Going north from Lowestoft you have the Norfolk Coast path which I believe now starts just north of Lowestoft, so I guess there must be a link up.

IanyZen

« Reply #19 on: 20:55:22, 24/07/18 »
Hi Beth,
On walking the South West Coast Path, if I couldn't smell, see or hear the sea I knew I had gone wrong.
It's an easy one.
Another planet is the Western Highlands, North of Fort William, which I'm planning to walk with my dog next May
There's no signed trail, but it is a recognise walk, not hugging the coast - Cape Wrath Trail - there's a guide book and two dedicated maps.
A map and compass are definitely required.
Even though there are bothies and a smittering of towns, a tent is recommended, some would say essential.

I met a couple walking round the whole coast for the second time and they never took any ferries, always walking up the inlets until they came to a bridge - dedication or what.

Good luck Beth,
Ian & Zen

Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy