Author Topic: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?  (Read 4332 times)

Z3man

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a Mountain Equipment Lhotse, Rupla or Shivling jacket or something similar.

The Lhotse is Gortex pro with reinforcements on the shoulders and back of the arms.

The Rupal is just normal Gortex.

The Shivling is a Gortex pro but a lighter version than the Lhotse.

I was just wondering if you carry a rucksack all the time, does this damage the Gortex in any way, does it start wetting out.

I currently use a Paramo Alta III, that wets out where the straps have been but its not a problem as the pump liner does its job and the water doesn't get through.

I am thinking of going hard shell just for something cooler, lighter, and better looking, though i will have to take a chance that it doesn't condensate up to much as i do sweat a lot when climbing steep hills.

Any of advice on whether any of these Gortex hard shell jackets are genuinely breathable would be helpful as well.

I can currently get the Lhotse jacket brand new for £200 which seems a bit of a bargain.

Many thanks .
« Last Edit: 10:14:48, 20/10/20 by Z3man »

Z3man

Re: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?
« Reply #1 on: 09:52:31, 20/10/20 »
Post deleted, somehow managed to reply to my own message.

Can a mod please delete this post.
« Last Edit: 10:13:54, 20/10/20 by Z3man »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:46:52, 20/10/20 »
£200 for a Lhotse is certainly a bargain.  Personally I would go for it - I paid a lot more than this five years ago for mine.

I wear one of these and my experience is extremely good - it is now coming up to 5 years old and is still waterproof.  No issues with rucksack wear - which I have had on a lightweight Rab jacket.  But, I am also a very sweaty walker and I do find that I can get very wet inside the jacket if I climb in the rain,  I stay warm but wet, which is a joy for anybody sharing a car home with me.  However, my personal experience is that I end up like this in every jacket, so the Lhotse still comes out as my favourite.  I imagine Richard1905 will be along to extol the virtues too. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:56:52, 20/10/20 »
I have a Lhotse and it has served me well through 5 winters of hard use, but is beginning to wet out around the neck, and the main zip was starting to be troublesome, so I have replaced it with a Mountain Equipment Tupilak, which I believe should be even tougher. No wetting out around the shoulder straps, though, and I would wholeheartedly recommend the Lhotse, the best jacket that I have ever owned. Gore Tex Pro really works well for me, and I run hot with a vengeance!

£200 is a steal - go for it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:58:04, 20/10/20 »
I imagine Richard1905 will be along to extol the virtues too.

Of course  ;D . The Lhotse is a superb jacket.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:47:31, 20/10/20 »
I'll put in a good word for the...

Rohan Vertex Jacket  O0

I've had mine for a couple of years and I still love it.

For me, the main selling point is that it's the most breathable shell I've had by far. It's not Gore-Tex, but Rohan's own system called Barricade. It's very light at 515g and doesn't take up a lot of space in the backpack. Rohan advertise the Vertex at £295, but they will usually give a 15% discount for Ramblers, LDWA, etc.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:02:37, 20/10/20 »
Seems like a good deal!

Regarding your question about durability I cannot comment, since I have never spent more than £70 on a jacket and only buy lighter/ more packable jackets that are of course not as durable. I found that they soon start leaking on the shoulders when carrying a heavy backpack. I usually don't care because the main source of wetness is usually condensation and as long as the jacket keeps most of the water out, the main thing for me is that it keeps the wind out when wet.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Z3man

« Reply #7 on: 12:07:41, 20/10/20 »
Thanks Guys.

Even though the Lhotse is a bargain price it is still quite a lot of money, i need to make sure it is definitely what i want, i may go and try in on again tonight. I don't want to spend £200 and then end up wishing i had stuck with my Paramo, so need to make sure.

The Lhotse certainly sounds like a fantastic jacket, seems to get lots of praise everywhere.

Do you guys need to wash and reproof yours Lhotse jackets very often.

Unfortunately there aren't any Rohan stores near me so i cant go and try one out. Wish i had asked this question earlier as i have just come back from a weeks holiday in Keswick and there is a Rohan shop there.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:35:45, 20/10/20 »
Another user of ME Gortex pro Jackets here.  I have only had mine two winters, but it gets lots of wear and works really well.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:36:53, 20/10/20 »
Do you guys need to wash and reproof yours Lhotse jackets very often.

Not very often, no. In fact, possibly only once!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:37:19, 20/10/20 »
It's not the Gore-Tex (which is hidden from view because it's sandwiched between the inner liner and outer fabric) which gets damaged by the rucksack straps it's the DWR finish applied to the surface of the outer fabric during manufacturing process which gets rubbed and degrades to the point where the water no longer beads off.

When the water stops beading off the DWR finish needs refreshing by using Nikwax Tech Wash and the appropriate version of TX Direct etc. to keep the water beading off the surface fabric.

Obviously the outer fabric can't stand constant rubbing and will eventually wear with use as nothing lasts forever.

A link to the £200 Lhotse would be helpful.  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:22:11, 20/10/20 »
Of course, you could choose look at your subject differently and maybe come to the conclusion that spending so much on a waterproof is not really necessary. I would prefer to argue that during the course of a two-week hike, for example, how often does it really rain? Unless you are really unlucky I would suggest that in reality we tend to hike a lot more in dry periods than we hike in wet ones.

I bought a Paramo Alta 2 a few years ago because at the time I truly believed that rain was going to be my number one difficulty but these days I think very differently. My own view is that wind is my number one problem, so for me my go-to choice of clothing and my most important item of clothing is my windproof jacket. My 'waterproof' choice is a cheapo coat, and a cheap poncho back up, to only be used if I ever need a double waterproof layer to help me to stay dry.

My last memory of rain was on one day only when hiking the Two Moors Way in 2019, the rest of the nine days it didn't rain.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:42:46, 20/10/20 »
GunWharfMan, you should come back and visit Dartmoor more often.  I'd say the majority of winter walks I need my Rain proof shell.  I have two cheapo Trago waterproofs that I wear a lot too. But mainly in the summer months, when the rain is warmer.

Weather wise, it's often sunny on the coast of Cornwall, whilst hammering down a few miles away on the spine of the moors. Those damp South Westerlies just love to empty their watery payload from the Atlantic there, after they leave the coast.

Trust me on this.  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:25:56, 20/10/20 »
GunWharfMan, you should come back and visit Dartmoor more often.  I'd say the majority of winter walks I need my Rain proof shell.  I have two cheapo Trago waterproofs that I wear a lot too. But mainly in the summer months, when the rain is warmer.

Weather wise, it's often sunny on the coast of Cornwall, whilst hammering down a few miles away on the spine of the moors. Those damp South Westerlies just love to empty their watery payload from the Atlantic there, after they leave the coast.

Trust me on this.  ;)

Nothing like a decent set of waterproofs when you are up a hilltop somewhere walking into the teeth of gale driven rain. That is the time when I am really glad that I didn't skimp on them.

And it is the same here in the South Lakes, mild and sunny on my dog walk near the coast this morning, but I couldn't even see Coniston Old Man for the dark clouds shrouding the fells.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:09:20, 20/10/20 »
The Lake District, Snowdonia and Western Scotland are not well known for successive dry and sunny days. I have been very thankful of my waterproofs on a number of occasions and they can be a lifesaver.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy