Author Topic: OS map app and functions with free download from paper map  (Read 1203 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
I have been given two OS 1:25,000 maps and the code to download the map has not been used. If I install the OS map app and download the map can I use it in conjunction with location on my phone to see where I am on the map or better still use it on a similar basis to view ranger following routes I have created and recording tracks. Whilst out I do not have a data connection, so it all needs to work offline.

Or is it just a display of the map with no functionality?

I don't want to clutter my phone with useless apps if there is no functionality available.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Yes, it (OS app) works in a similar way to Viewranger. I use it fairly often, think it’s good.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
I have been given two OS 1:25,000 maps and the code to download the map has not been used. If I install the OS map app and download the map can I use it in conjunction with location on my phone to see where I am on the map or better still use it on a similar basis to view ranger following routes I have created and recording tracks. Whilst out I do not have a data connection, so it all needs to work offline.

I don't want to clutter my phone with useless apps if there is no functionality available.

To be honest I tend to use the OS map(s) at home to plot my planned route and then use the app when I am out on a walk. never actually used the plot a route function, will have to give it a go.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Now I have the hang of it, the create a custom route function of the OS website is my go to planning tool.  I also like the snap to function within National Parks and the aerial image tool is a useful adjunct to refine a route.  I transfer the route to the app for walking but only as a back up, I like to record my actual route while following a plotted route and the OS app cannot do that.  I follow and record the route using a Garmin GPSor ViewRanger on my phone.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member

I don't think it will work without a data connection any more.  It used to. I have all my maps loaded on an old phone, with an old version of the OS App and that works without a SIM card.  The version on my current phone does not work without a SIM card and a data connection though.  The plus side is when connected it gives me full OS mapping for the UK, even though I do not subscribe.  As soon as I lose the signal though the current version is not much use on my current but still old phone.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Before I set off, I use the OS app to save the mapping I require for off line use.  It is stored on the SD card in my phone and the app works just fine on the march.  I do not have mobile data switched on on my phone as I have a PAYG phone.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy