Author Topic: Boot care wax which is softer than Leder Gris Clear or G Wax  (Read 2896 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
I have used both Leder Gris Clear or G Wax and neither easily penetrates the leather even though I use my finger hoping the warmth will help. I also have the Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil which is much softer but I only use on the parts that flex as recommended.

I have been reading previous threads on leather boot care but is there an alternative to Leder Gris Clear or G Wax which is softer and will be easier to work into the leather.

Years ago the finger polish method worked but in recent years I seem to be losing my elbow grease to be able to work the wax into the leather.
Am I looking for something that doesn't exist and the formulation has changed over the years and more effort is needed now.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
I use Meindl Sports Wax and find it works in ok, (though I am not punctilious about it). O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
Try authentic Neatsfoot oil . It will soak deep into the leather , but use only once or twice a year otherwise it softens the leather too much and the leather can become weak .
It will create a waterproof barrier within the leather . When I use it , I brush it on and leave it over night . Don`t use it frequently like you would other polishes or waxes though.

Then just use another polish or a nice soft wax like Cherry Blossom , regularly when you have cleaned or washed off your boots to give them a shine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/500ml-100-Pure-Neatsfoot-Oil/dp/B01D4ZGSNA/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=neatsfoot+oil&qid=1606769734&sr=8-6
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
I use nikwax for smooth leather.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikwax-Waterproofing-Wax-for-Leather-Liquid-footwear-Shoes-Black-125ml-/313156889826

I apply it after most walks.  It"s been very good can't say if it keeps my boots water proof. But my boots are indeed waterproof using it. I guess they do different colour as my boots are brown.

Apache

• Account Closed
I remember using dubbin years ago. It might soften boots though - I cannot remember.

Cherry Blossom Premium Dubbin Shoe Treatments and Polishes PCDUB02 Neutral 50.00 ml: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Bags

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I'm using Granger's Paste Wax at the moment. I don't know if it is softer than the ones you mention but I haven't had problems applying it.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
It might be helpful if you stated what make and model the boots are. As I've stated before there are different qualities of leather and some manufacturers even apply coatings which artificially waterproof the leather but this coating can also prevent normal waxes/oils penetrating down into the leather.

Under normal circumstances you shouldn't be having trouble with the Grangers G-Wax. By comparison I found the Altberg Leder Gris Clear to be much more difficult to work down into the leather.

You should find that warming the wax on a radiator before applying it helps.

Of those waxes mentioned so far the Meindl Sport Wax is by far the softest but it does take some time to work it down into the leather. If you don't take this time you will end up with a pair of super powerful dust magnets as I found to my cost.

I've recently bought some Hanwag Lhasa II boots and have been using their Hanwag Shoe Wax which I have found very easy to work into the leather in combination with the Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil. It literally turns into a liquid with the heat from your finger end and easily gets absorbed into the leather. Cheapest I could find online was from Lockwoods @ £6 with free delivery but they're out of stock at the moment.

Don't waste your money on the Nikwax waterproofing stuff as I found it to be very short lasting and it literally washes away on contact with water. By contrast I found the Nikwax Cleaning Gel to be an excellent product.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
I would have to disagree with you on Nikwax, Kinkyboots.  It does require regular upkeep.  But it also keeps the water out.  There are several variants though.  It took me a couple of goes to find one that works best with my current winter boots.  It's a different one to that I use on my summer boots,  which are nubuck leather.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Nikwax was the clear market leader a good few years ago when their Waterproofing Wax For Leather was sold in a tin before the company went all green. Sadly I have found their new conconctions are nowhere near as effective or long lasting.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Under normal circumstances you shouldn't be having trouble with the Grangers G-Wax. By comparison I found the Altberg Leder Gris Clear to be much more difficult to work down into the leather.

Interesting. I find the opposite. The G Wax builds up a layer that sits on top of the leather, and flakes away at the crease points, whereas the Leder Gris appears to soak in more. My wife has noticed this too. This is on both Brasher Hillmasters and the Hi Tec boots that you recommended recently.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member

Interesting. I find the opposite. The G Wax builds up a layer that sits on top of the leather, and flakes away at the crease points, whereas the Leder Gris appears to soak in more. My wife has noticed this too. This is on both Brasher Hillmasters and the Hi Tec boots that you recommended recently.

Perhaps it comes down to finding the right wax to match the quality of the leather used in the construction of the boot. It's possible that you are applying too much wax and not working it down into the leather enough? Quite often less is more i.e. several thin coats of wax worked well in are often better than one or two thick coats. Generally the more you brush it in the better the finish will be.

The idea is that the wax is only a carrier for the oils contained within it. When you've finished waxing the oils should have been pushed down into the leather and the layer of wax left on the surface of the leather should be so thin it's invisible to the naked eye and it should feel dry and not sticky at all. It's a matter of trial and error until you find which wax and waxing method works best for your particular boots.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Zamberlan Hydrobloc is very easy to apply...it’s a soft paste which you can work into the leather via putting on you finger then rubbing finger across the leather.

The guy who sold it me said it was probably identical to another branded paste (“because they both have same characteristic marzipan smell”), but can’t remember which other product he mentioned.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Nikwax was the clear market leader a good few years ago when their Waterproofing Wax For Leather was sold in a tin before the company went all green. Sadly I have found their new conconctions are nowhere near as effective or long lasting.

I always used this on my old Scarpa boots that lasted me for many miles over many years. They stayed waterproof, but in the end the soles were shot and a lot of the stitching was wearing through. I did find that when they were new the wax did not soak in. Walking on rough mountain paths and scrambling soon scratched them up enough so that the wax had some effect.

I haven’t tried their latest products.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
I use Grisport waterproof cream on my Grisport boots and shoes. seems to work very well with them. But I see it is currently out of stock.

https://www.grisport.co.uk/accessories-c83/waterproof-cream-jar-p1917

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy