Author Topic: Mayrhofen Walks  (Read 3102 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Mayrhofen Walks
« on: 15:57:07, 05/07/17 »
Mrs N and I are off for to Mayrhofen later this summer. I am just about to start planning a set of day walks we can do and have consulted the local websites for walks of which there appears to be no shortage, in fact we seem to be spoilt for choice. Do members have an any recommendations of day walks that are in the "must do" category?
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Mayerhofen Walks - Austria
« Reply #1 on: 20:43:27, 23/07/17 »
Just bumping the thread in the hope of a reply.
Solvitur Ambulando

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Mayrhofen Walks
« Reply #2 on: 21:37:29, 23/07/17 »

Hi Ninthace

I walked for a week there a few years back - see link to blog below. Might give you some pointers. If I were picking - an ascent of the Ahorn is good although we didn't complete it! Also walks above the Penken lift and in the surrounding valleys. Hope this helps you choose.

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/mayrhofen-ziller-valley-27th-august-3rd.html?m=0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:01:59, 24/07/17 »
Hi Ninthace

I walked for a week there a few years back - see link to blog below. Might give you some pointers. If I were picking - an ascent of the Ahorn is good although we didn't complete it! Also walks above the Penken lift and in the surrounding valleys. Hope this helps you choose.

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/mayrhofen-ziller-valley-27th-august-3rd.html?m=0

Thanks glovepuppet.  I have skiied the area in the past so have a degree of familiarity with the area.  I enjoyed your blog and it seems there is a good deal of overlap between what you did and what I have planned so far which gives me confidence.  I had the Edelhutte and Ahorn down as a must do too. The top end of the Tuxertal looks interesting as well. The real problem is a super abundance of choice of routes for only a 10 day trip.
Solvitur Ambulando

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:18:03, 24/07/17 »
The real problem is a super abundance of choice of routes for only a 10 day trip.

I think you're right! Mayrhofen and surrounds has a lot to offer, both in terms of day walks of various lengths and grades, plus access into the mountains round and about for multi-day hutting trips.  O0

A word of warning, though. The icecreams in Vorderlanersbach might set you back a whole days worth of calories!  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:21:18, 24/07/17 »

A word of warning, though. The icecreams in Vorderlanersbach might set you back a whole days worth of calories!  :D

Look out for Kaiserschmarrn or Tiroler Grostl too - heart attack on a plate
Solvitur Ambulando

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:12:12, 24/07/17 »

Look out for Kaiserschmarrn or Tiroler Grostl too - heart attack on a plate

I love both of those! One of the main reasons for going to Austria!  :'(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:04:04, 10/09/17 »
Thanks for all the advice. Just got back from 9 days walking in the Zillertal. Loads of good walking to be had all round the main valley and the side valleys. Best tips are:

Get and ActivCard - gives unlimited travel on buses on trains in the valley and one trip per day per lift to gain height rapidly to start walks.
Main mountain areas with lift access are Penken, Eggalm, Gerlosstein, Ahorn and Hintertux.
Several good valley walks too, the Stilluptal is a must for the scenery (minibus service to valley head), The Schlegeiss is also a must - accessible by bus, toll for last section up to lake. Zillergrund valley also looks good but we did not have time to explore it.

We ended up doing more valleys than hills because the weather was predominantly wet and murky with the snow line down to below the tops of the lifts for a couple of days. Definitely going back as I have a raft of planned walks left undone as a result.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy