Author Topic: Alternatives to Snowdon  (Read 4805 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Alternatives to Snowdon
« on: 20:36:38, 23/04/19 »
This weekend a few friends and I are in Wales. The idea was to Walk up Snowdon, originally via the ranger path but given the weather forecast at the moment It's most likely the Llanberis path if at all. If we do anything the weather forecast will most likely mean we don't get near the top  (halfway house or Clogwyn station is probably the closet we'll get without too much risk). We're experienced walkers but we don't walk in heavy snow or ice at serious height so don't have stuff like Crampons and ice axes to attempt to summit safely. I'd much rather do half a walk and turn back than persist in a foolish adventure.

So given that Snowdon will probably be off the cards what alternatives are there that are a good circular or there and back walk (around 8 miles or so) that won't be quite as high so less likely to be snowy (the wet stuff is fine), especially if these are further away from the coast? There should be no exposure or scrambling as the wet weather and wind will still be present no doubt. I should add we'll have a small but very tough dog with us as well.

We're based in Porthmadog so anywhere within a 90 minute drive is fine.
« Last Edit: 20:40:05, 23/04/19 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Alternatives to Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 20:50:46, 23/04/19 »
I enjoyed this one - not far from Porthmadog.  Weather would still be pants thpugh.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=3293
There is a bit of exposure on the approach to the summit but it isn't severe and you would need to be competent navigators to find your way round the head of the valley in poor visibility.  The mines are fun.
Solvitur Ambulando

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:52:55, 23/04/19 »
Moel Eilio to Moel Cynghorion? - an arm of the Snowdon range but lower and more benign grassy slopes. Start from Llanberis and return via the path at Helfa Fain. You can either access that from the summit of Moel Cynghorion, or bear left before that climb for an early bath.

Moel Siabod is another good one from Pont Cyfyng

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:29:45, 23/04/19 »
Thanks for the suggestions so far they look rather interesting.
Forecasts are a funny beast, Met Office predicting the end of the world (as we know it) Met Check and Norwegian Forecasts showing light winds and the odd shower.
I think I'll print the maps just in case, but any other suggestions more than welcome.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:38:42, 23/04/19 »
Mountain forecasts by mwis.org are far superior. I don't think I've ever known them to get it wrong. Check each day prior to your walk as they update it as new data comes in.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:00:21, 24/04/19 »
Depending on the exact conditions:
Moel Siabod
Moel Hebog
Cnicht
Moel-ddu
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:48:53, 24/04/19 »
Cnicht and the Moelwyns, or, better still, Moel Hebog, Moel yr Ogof and Moel Lefn from Beddgelert.

The ascent of Moel Siabod is a bit dull from the western side.

Or, if you really fancy a walk on the wild side, the Rhinogs. Start in beautiful Cwm Bychan and climb up the Roman Steps. Then south for the Rhinogs, or head north into some really wild country.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:51:43, 24/04/19 »
Mountain forecasts by mwis.org are far superior. I don't think I've ever known them to get it wrong. Check each day prior to your walk as they update it as new data comes in.

What do you think of the forecasts available here?

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/mountain_ranges

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:19:02, 24/04/19 »
I've never seen that before Rob so I can't comment on it's accuracy. My initial reaction though is it's not easy to 'grab' the synopsis of the day, so I have to study it to extract what I want.

I know that weather can and does change from fell to fell but I'm sceptical that that can be forecast by anyone with any reliability. I'm also sceptical about any forecast looking more than 24 hours into the future, anything more than 3 days into the future...well, we'll see.

It might be a superb site with excellent forecasting but I'd want to use it for a while to gain confidence, but TBH; MWIS hits the spot for me, and unless they start going cr@p I'll stick with them. Thanks for the link though.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:43:16, 24/04/19 »
Another vote for Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:36:13, 24/04/19 »
Thanks for the alternative routes, I'll probably print a few OS maps out so all eventualities are covered.

Forecast wise, as it's not an exact science especially in mountain areas, I tend to use three sources and aggregate the results. MWIS (miserable weather forecast services, because they'r often the most pessimistic  :) ), Met Office mountain forecasts and the Norwegian weather service (www.yr.no). I totally agree as well, three days out only gives you an idea (i.e. has the forecast changed a lot) so decisions are made the afternoon before or the same morning - hence I plan a few options in case we need to go somewhere else.

The mountains will always be there, so skipping one to do something else is alwasy a wise decision.
« Last Edit: 20:40:55, 24/04/19 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:39:15, 24/04/19 »
Don't overlook the Lleyn Peninsula if the clouds are really down on the hills - excellent coastal walking.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:44:01, 24/04/19 »
With all these good suggestions I think we'll be going back to Wales for more walks!
Dazza
--------

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:29:43, 26/04/19 »
Head to the Sourthern Rhinogs, just above Talybont and Dyffryn Ardudwy.
Superb walking country, extremely quiet, even on busy Bank Holidays, and walking mostly on grass.

Most people think the entire Rhinog range of mountains are rugged and hostile, no place for the unprepared walker, well the southern section towards Barmouth, are a walkers dream.

A bit like the Brecon Beacons, but with magnificent sea views, and their less than half an hours drive from Porthmadog.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:18:01, 26/04/19 »
+1 for the Rhinogs, dark and foreboding or quiet and inspiring, depending on your viewpoint.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy