Author Topic: New member - preparing for charity walk - HELP!  (Read 1194 times)

cornish tigress

Hi, I'm preparing for a 230 mile road walk for the Matt Hampson Trust in September and have found this forum great for kit ideas etc. Would love more help on boots/shoes suitable for a road walk, rather than off road. Any ideas? Need padding, I'm a bit of a stomper.

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: New member - preparing for charity walk - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 16:26:12, 13/04/09 »
Hi cornish tigress, welcome to the forum! O0

If you're sticking to tarmac for this walk then I would have thought trainers would be the best option rather than walking boots which are designed to handle rough terrain. I'd guess you'd want them to be waterproof in case in rains too. Might be an idea to go to one of the big sports retailers and see what they've got.

Good luck with your walk!
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

cornish tigress

« Reply #2 on: 10:11:06, 16/04/09 »
Thanks Peakbagger. Trainers would certainly be more comfortable than boots. I want a pair that really soak up the impact, being as I stomp! I'll have a shop around at the sports shops then.

Cheers and thanks for the welcome.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:53:36, 16/04/09 »
 Hi cornish tigress

How long are you taking to do the 230 miles? Will you be carrying any weight in terms of a load?

Boots are certainly a non starter for road walking. I would go for race walking shoes as they tend to favour the walkers gait.If you are stomping its best to get your gait checked by a sports coach as walking should be very low impact if it is done correctly.Perhaps you are lifting your feet too high on each step or overstriding?To give you some idea in the different levels of impact when running and walking I have had a pair of race walking shoes that have lasted for around eight years and are only now showing signs of wear on the sole.Most of my running shoes tend to wear out in the space of eighteen months.

These reviews of race walking shoes might give you some idea of what to look for.

http://www.racewalking.org/shurevuw.htm

Some of the shoes are intended for running,mainly racing rather than training,but their low heel lift makes them ideal for walking.

cornish tigress

« Reply #4 on: 11:18:35, 16/04/09 »
Wow, thanks Tony. Have bunged that on my bookmarks, lots of useful info there. Agreed I need to work on the stomping. I have no idea what causes it but I seem to rattle the house when I walk. Over 230 miles this may hurt, and Britain may sink.

thisismusic

« Reply #5 on: 22:21:00, 16/04/09 »
I've got a pair of merrell walking shoes that I used to use to walk "on-road" home from work (13 miles) twice a week. Nice and comfy, soft springy soles and they're waterproof!
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:29:39, 16/04/09 »
Agreed I need to work on the stomping. I have no idea what causes it but I seem to rattle the house when I walk. Over 230 miles this may hurt, and Britain may sink.

Perhaps you are trying too hard and forcing things too much. Try relaxing more and let the body go at its own pace.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy